Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just noticed my PAL expires March 2023, I took the Restricted course in 2019 but never ended up sending in my paperwork for it. Can I upgrade to my Restricted License when I renew my PAL or does it classify as a whole new license and not just a renewal? Just wondering as renewals seem to take a shorter time to process than submitting for a whole new license. Want to do it sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
875 Posts
You can apply anytime, you don't lose out on any time. If you have 8 mths left on a current license and they renew the 5 years takes effect when the old one expires. With the crazy wait times these days applying early is pretty common. I always send mine registered mail as my son had his get "lost in the mail/not received" according to the CFC when he sent his renewal in years back and he was patiently waiting for six months for his license before calling them to find out they were claiming they never got his application.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
As caperway mentioned.… You can apply whenever. It will expire 5 years after the expiration date of your current PAL. Mine expired in November of 2020. Sent my renewal in May 1st of 2020. Expiration date … November of 2025. I would sooner send it in early, as have it expire and you’re still waiting.

·
Registered
16,480 Posts
You can apply anytime, you don't lose out on any time. If you have 8 mths left on a current license and they renew the 5 years takes effect when the old one expires. With the crazy wait times these days applying early is pretty common. I always send mine registered mail as my son had his get "lost in the mail/not received" according to the CFC when he sent his renewal in years back and he was patiently waiting for six months for his license before calling them to find out they were claiming they never got his application.
You sure can but it was discussed on nutz ones prior to 6 months get put aside and the focus is place on those expiring sooner which makes sense and one has a much better chance of it getting theirs forgotten about if submitted too early. It is not first come first served there
Christ they forget the ones submitted that week they are due
Cheers

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I sent mine in almost 7 months early. May of 2020... When the world shut down because of the ‘Rona. That’s why I sent it in so early. Much to my surprise … my new one came less than 2 months later. The way the world has gone in the last 2 years … I would still put my renewal in early.

·
Administrator
10,865 Posts
Mine went in Jan of this yr..expiration was Apr. I got an email from the N.S. CFO looking for proof of my gun club membership. I sent them a pic of my membership for the 3 clubs I belong to...my RO certification since 2012 and my RI certification. Within a few hours I had my approval emailed back..said my card would be here in 8 to 10 bus days !...It was 7 days !!

Reactions: JCGCBNS21

·
Registered
583 Posts
Mine went in Jan of this yr..expiration was Apr. I got an email from the N.S. CFO looking for proof of my gun club membership. I sent them a pic of my membership for the 3 clubs I belong to...my RO certification since 2012 and my RI certification. Within a few hours I had my approval emailed back..said my card would be here in 8 to 10 bus days !...It was 7 days !!
I have an RPAL but no restricted firearms, can I renew my RPAL without belonging to a gun club?, thank you Kevin.

·
Registered
875 Posts
When you renew your rpal and don't own a restricted just be careful to check when the new card arrives. For awhile there were cases of the CFO's removing the restricted classification from some licenses of people would had the restricted class but no restricted guns. They were claiming since you didn't own a restricted you didn't need the rpal.

·
Registered
16,480 Posts
When you renew your rpal and don't own a restricted just be careful to check when the new card arrives. For awhile there were cases of the CFO's removing the restricted classification from some licenses of people would had the restricted class but no restricted guns. They were claiming since you didn't own a restricted you didn't need the rpal.
Yep agree. have seen that happen to a few but they sure kept the extra cash
Cheers

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the feedback fellas, I was wondering about the RPAL considering I don't currently belong to a club. I'll try and send mine in this summer and should be good.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
It’s been a number of years since I had handguns. I thought about getting my RPAL and buying a few, but until I know the direction the gubment is going on handguns, I will put it on hold. You can bet it will be a direction to screw us.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts