Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gonna start a new thread here in the hunting recipe section. I opted out of placing it in the Lounge section because it would be available ONLY to members. I'd like to give the lurkers and closet dwellers a chance at seeing them too !!

EVERYONE PLEASE CHIME IN AND SHARE YOUR OWN RECIPES...YO MAMA'S...YO GRAN MAMA'S...WHOEVER HANDED THEM DOWN...OR WHATEVER THE BOWELS OF YOUR GREY MATTER CAME UP WITH !!
Doesn't have to be anything extravagant at all...as long as it's edible and enjoyed by you, your family or friends !

I'll copy and paste any I find ...if any of you happen upon any, please do the same....just mention in a header who's recipe it is and where it was found (on NSH)

We'd love to have them here for all to enjoy !!

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
DILL PICKLES

Might as well share it with all y'all 馃槈

BRINE

8 1/2 cups of water
2 1/2 cups of white vinegar
1/2 cup of pickling salt

bring brine to a boil and set aside

INGREDIENTS & SPICES (my own preference)

7-8 lbs of pickling cukes
Dry dill weed
Dill Seed
Mustard seed
Whole all spice
Fresh garlic cloves
Fresh dill ferns
Fresh dill heads (nice and yellow)

Sterilize your bottles prior to doing this recipe.
Whenever I sterilize any bottles that I'm not using for days, weeks, even till next season, I place a new sandwich bag over the top and screw on a ring. I roll it in a pc of news paper before I pack it away...this keeps it good and clean and lessens the risk of chipping, clanging and possibly causing an invisible crack that only shows up AFTER you fill the MUTHA ^%#$%%$%% and put it in your water bath.

This recipe is for approximately 7..1 qt mason jars (wide mouth are easier to pack..but not the end of the world )
I also use the 500 ml jars as well as the 750 ml jars. Classico pasta sauces come in 750 ml bottles and are ATLAS brand pickling bottles. They take a standard snap lid and ring as well. Watch for them on sale and stock up !

* 1 lb of pickling cukes = roughly 1 qt jar or 2 - 500 ml *

I've always scrubbed & cleaned my pickling cukes as soon as I get them...then put them into a cooler full of ice water ..usually let em soak overnight...adding ice if necessary. Colder the better..It makes the pickles firmer / crunchier. When your ready to fill you bottles, just put them into a colander (no ice) and drain for a few minutes.
I was told to always cut 1/2 inch off the blossom end off of my pickling cukes...so I do...99.99 % of the time it's the white end*

Before packing the jars with pickles, in the bottom of each QUART bottle my grand daughter puts...

1 nice big dill head..couple of pcs of dill fern...2 garlic cloves (less if you like)...1 tsp of dry drill weed...1 tsp of mustard seed....1/2 tsp of dill seed.
Once the jar is jammed with the cukes, on the top I put another big dill head, couple sm pcs of dill fern...1 tsp of whole all spice. We do up all the bottles first before pouring the brine in them.

I'll reheat my brine before adding to the jars. Once the bottles have been filled with all your pickles and spices add you hot brine.

Fill to within 1/2 inch of the snap lid. Snap lids should be put in good warm water for 5 minutes before using them. Makes the rubber gasket softer and gives you a better seal (( be sure to wipe all the rims with a damp paper towel before adding the lid and ring)) Rings on fingertip tight !

You'll need a pot big enuff to cover up your bottles right to the base of the neck. Then bring the room temp water almost to the boiling point (13 -15 minutes..varies) soon as it gets there remove the jars and place them on a towel or cardboard / layers of news print. ANYTHING COLD could shock and split the hot bottles....what a fekking mess...don't ask me how I know...lol

Next day, remove the screw bands...wipe the threads of the jars with a good damp / wet hand towel...wipe out or wash the rings too...stops them from rusting out so quickly.

I try to leave mine for at LEAST 1 month before eating them...the longer they set the better the flavour.

ENJOY !!!

**** USE THIS SAME RECIPE FOR DILLED STRING BEANS....& DILLED BABY CARROTS FROM YOUR GARDEN
AWESOMELY WICKED !!!!

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Holee crap...that's a loooooong copy and paste !! Got some work to do on editing...lol

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Found this one GARY put in a few yrs back...taken from the mustard pickle thread

CHERRY PRESERVES

YIELD: 3 pints

INGREDIENTS

DIRECTIONS
  • Sterilize your jars and keep them hot while you're cooking the preserves.
  • Place cherries in a large, heavy duty dutch oven.
  • Combine pectin with 1/4 cup sugar; stir into cherries, Add butter.
  • Bring to a full boil, stirring, over high heat.
  • Add 3 more cups sugar and return to a boil , stirring constantly, boil 1 minutes.
  • Remove from heat; skim off foam.
  • Immediately spoon preserves into 3 one pint sterilized jars, leaving 1/4" headspace.
  • Wipe the sealing surface of the jars with a clean paper towel, dampened with hot water, to remove any preserves or sugar crystals.
  • Place lids and screw on bands fingertip tight.
  • Process in a boiling water bath for at least ten minutes, depending upon your altitude.
  • When the jars have been processed in boiling water for the recommended time, turn off the heat and remove the canner lid; wait 5 minutes. Remove jars from canner using a jar lifter and keeping jars upright. Carefully place them directly onto a towel or cake cooling rack to protect your countertop, leaving at least one inch of space between the jars during cooling. Avoid placing the jars on a cold surface or in a cold draft.
  • After jars have cooled undisturbed for 24 hours, remove ring bands from sealed jars. Put any unsealed jars in the refrigerator and use first.

Registered
Great thread and excellent thought put in for a specific topic , look forward to some recipes .

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Walter ! YUP...My hope is that a bunch of people respond and add to it !

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
corned meat (beef )

This is a tried and true recipe sent to me by David G...a very talented and knowledgeable gentleman who's contributions to this site are sooo appreciative !!!

• Aug 14, 2016

This is the general recipe that I follow all the time. Store bought pickling spices have all the essentials for flavor ( mustard seeds...pepper corns,...bay leaves,... cloves..etc...) But if you wish to add some more you can:...cinnamon sitcks...extra cloves...a bit of ginger root...freshly grated nutmeg...red pepper flakes...etc...

Home-Cured Corned Beef ( for 5 lbs to 15 lbs of meat)

1 gallon water ( not city water..!!!)
    1 1/2 cups NON IODIZED SALT ( pickling or sea salt)
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    3 tablespoons pickling spices
    2 teaspoons saltpeter OR 1 tablespoon pink salt: (sodium nitrite)

Bring everything ( except the meat) to a boil in a large pot. Cool to room temperature..Once the brine has cooled down, you can chop and add several garlic cloves to it and a few raw chopped onions but this is optional. Won't make much of a difference if you don't..

Place meat in a non reactive container ( plastic, glass, or crock), Cover with brine... making sure that no part of the meat is exposed OR place in ziplock air tight bag making sure that no air is inside bag. Place in fridge. Rotate every once in a while to make sure that the brine penetrates all of the meat.

After 10 days, remove from the brine and rinse well under cool water. Place the brisket into a pot just large enough to hold the meat, and cover with water by 1 to 2 inches. Set over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, Cover and gently simmer for 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until the meat is fork tender. Check for saltiness...change some of the water if too salty...usually it isn't.

Easiest way to make a boil dinner is to remove the cooked, forked tender meat and place aside. Add all the vegetables to the broth and when cooked add the meat back to it. Simmer for a few more minutes and serve.

Good Luck...and Enjoy...

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Don't know WTF I did...I tried to edit out a bunch of copy and paste extras...and my whole post disappeared !!
:mad::mad::mad:

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DILL PICKLES

Might as well share it with all y'all 馃槈

BRINE

8 1/2 cups of water
2 1/2 cups of white vinegar
1/2 cup of pickling salt

bring brine to a boil and set aside

INGREDIENTS & SPICES (my own preference)

7-8 lbs of pickling cukes
Dry dill weed
Dill Seed
Mustard seed
Whole all spice
Fresh garlic cloves
Fresh dill ferns
Fresh dill heads (nice and yellow)

Sterilize your bottles prior to doing this recipe.
Whenever I sterilize any bottles that I'm not using for days, weeks, even till next season, I place a new sandwich bag over the top and screw on a ring. I roll it in a pc of news paper before I pack it away...this keeps it good and clean and lessens the risk of chipping, clanging and possibly causing an invisible crack that only shows up AFTER you fill the MUTHA ^%#$%%$%% and put it in your water bath.

This recipe is for approximately 7..1 qt mason jars (wide mouth are easier to pack..but not the end of the world )
I also use the 500 ml jars as well as the 750 ml jars. Classico pasta sauces come in 750 ml bottles and are ATLAS brand pickling bottles. They take a standard snap lid and ring as well. Watch for them on sale and stock up !

* 1 lb of pickling cukes = roughly 1 qt jar or 2 - 500 ml *

I've always scrubbed & cleaned my pickling cukes as soon as I get them...then put them into a cooler full of ice water ..usually let em soak overnight...adding ice if necessary. Colder the better..It makes the pickles firmer / crunchier. When your ready to fill you bottles, just put them into a colander (no ice) and drain for a few minutes.
I was told to always cut 1/2 inch off the blossom end off of my pickling cukes...so I do...99.99 % of the time it's the white end*

Before packing the jars with pickles, in the bottom of each QUART bottle my grand daughter puts...

1 nice big dill head..couple of pcs of dill fern...2 garlic cloves (less if you like)...1 tsp of dry drill weed...1 tsp of mustard seed....1/2 tsp of dill seed.
Once the jar is jammed with the cukes, on the top I put another big dill head, couple sm pcs of dill fern...1 tsp of whole all spice. We do up all the bottles first before pouring the brine in them.

I'll reheat my brine before adding to the jars. Once the bottles have been filled with all your pickles and spices add you hot brine.
Fill to within 1/2 inch of the snap lid. Snap lids should be put in good warm water for 5 minutes before using them. Makes the rubber gasket softer and gives you a better seal (( be sure to wipe all the rims with a damp paper towel before adding the lid and ring)) Rings on fingertip tight !

You'll need a pot big enuff to cover up your bottles right to the base of the neck. Then bring the room temp water almost to the boiling point (13 -15 minutes..varies) soon as it gets there remove the jars and place them on a towel or cardboard / layers of news print. ANYTHING COLD could shock and split the hot bottles....what a fekking mess...don't ask me how I know...lol

Next day, remove the screw bands...wipe the threads of the jars with a good damp / wet hand towel...wipe out or wash the rings too...stops them from rusting out so quickly.

I try to leave mine for at LEAST 1 month before eating them...the longer they set the better the flavour.

ENJOY !!!

**** USE THIS SAME RECIPE FOR DILLED STRING BEANS....& DILLED BABY CARROTS FROM YOUR GARDEN

GREYBEARD
Wow that is a couple of awesome recipes !!

Registered
I鈥檒l throw in my recipe for pickled eggs. We had a lady that tended the bar at the mess in my reserves armoury years back, she made the best pickled eggs and would always have a jar in the fridge for us to buy with a drink. She guarded the recipe and I have been trying to match it. I鈥檓 getting close!

I use a dozen eggs, hard boiled, usually for this.

1 1/2c water
1 1/2c white vinegar
1 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp pickle spice (I have the ClubHouse brand)
1 tsp salt

simmer all the ingredients to dissolve everything then add to the eggs in a jar and close. Let them sit for 5-7 days at least.

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We've always pierced the eggs thru and thru...several times with a toothpick...do you do the same Dave ??

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
WTH ????????? My deleted post is back again ?????? Now it's posted up twice ...fek it I'll leave em for now...JIC it disappears again. 馃槕馃槕

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That reminds me...when we empty a quart bottle of dill pickles...my grandson likes to hard boil a dozen eggs...we pierce em 5 or 6 times thru and thru and put them back into the dill brine for a few weeks...dilled pickled eggs are awesome !!!

Registered
Great thread ill show it to my wife. Where I came from this was/ is work for the women folk.
ps- I don鈥檛 have to be logged in to read threads in the lounge, only need to log in to post so I think our private off topic lounge has been compromised,probably by Trudeau.

Registered
That reminds me...when we empty a quart bottle of dill pickles...my grandson likes to hard boil a dozen eggs...we pierce em 5 or 6 times thru and thru and put them back into the dill brine for a few weeks...dilled pickled eggs are awesome !!!

made them two yrs ago , along with polish sausage and kielbassa , never lasted very long once they got opened , got me wanting make a batch again !

Registered

Great new thread Kevin...Our whole gang can attest to your canning abilities...( 2017 moose hunt). Please share some of the recipes used in preparing this CARE package. The contribution to our hunt was much appreciated.

Will definitely post a few recipes on here in the future.

Our moose hunting crew keeps evolving...I have officially relinquish the leadership of the team in favor of Christien. No one is really in charge of our hunts but I wanted to pass on some of the organizational responsibilities to him while I'm still alive...LOL. And I need a rest.!!!

He already secured a 30 ft Army tent ( with a stove), rebuilt the square stern canoe, and will be making this year's menu with a bit of my input. This will be our 13th moose hunt in a row and our 27th year going to Hunter's Mountain. . We'll see how it goes.

I still have Eric's(2019) and Cory's(2020) moose hunts to recount...if ever I can get the wife's TODO list done..!!???

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Start of our pickling season is this morning 馃馃馃馃...earliest we've gotten pickling cukes yet . ANNNNND at a premium I might add !! Prices 2.49 and UP per lb this year !!
3 cases of B & B on deck....4 boxes of pickling salt..10 gal of vinegar bought...plus 12 bags of sugar...good start..lol

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'll post my recipe later

1 - 20 of 20 Posts