Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Administrator
10,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Just got my niece's daughters recipe for her zucchini salsa..I'll get that up here later on as well

Reactions: sako3006

·
Administrator
10,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Moms Sweet Green Tomato Chow. (NFLD)

16 CUPS OF SLICED GREEN TOMATOES
8 CUPS OF SLICED ONIONS
1/3 CUP OF PICKLING SALT
3 CUPS OF WHITE VINEGAR
4 CUPS OF WHITE SUGAR
[[ for a darker, sweeter chow…substitute a cup of brown sugar for a cup of white]] <My favourite>
2 TBSP OF MUSTARD SEED
2 TBSP OF DRY MUSTARD
3 FULL TBSP OF PICKLING SPICE PUT IN A SPICE BAG (CHEESE CLOTH) tie this up good so it doesn’t come open and ruin your chow (don’t ask)…wink..wink..nudge..nudge

Combine tomatoes and onions in a large enamel or stainless pot in layers. [same pot you’ll cook it in if possible]
Sprinkle a bit of the pickling salt between the layers. I usually do 4 cups tomatoes…2 cups onions to a layer…bit of the salt then repeat till all are used up. Cover with a plate and add some weight to the plate ( 2 gallons of vinegar works great! Let vegetables sit overnight {12 hrs or better}
In the morning drain well, add sugar, spices, spice bag and vinegar. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and continue to lightly boil for an hour…stirring often so it won’t stick. Remove spice bag and ladle into hot jars, put lids and screw bands on finger tip tight only…return to a boiling water bath for 10 minutes…remove and place on a surface(on a towel) so they can sit overnight not being disturbed. The towel will help stop the cold shock of the table or countertop on the boiled bottles.
This recipe usually makes me 5 – 500 mil bottles but my veggie measurements are always a little more than called for..lol…ALWAYS !!

·
Administrator
10,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
This is the zucchini salsa recipe! This is for you Mark F.
Font Material property Handwriting Paper Paper product

·
Administrator
10,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Sweet Dill Icicle Spears
(I use pickling cukes, they can be done with regular cukes.)

BRINE:
1 cup water
4 cups vinegar
4 cups sugar
1/4 pickling salt
Boil for 5 minutes.

To each 500 mL bottle add 1 clove garlic, 1 head of dill, 1/2 tsp mustard seed, 1/2 tsp dry dill, 1/2 tsp dry dill seed.
Cukes should be firm.
Cut the blossom end off of the pickling cuke (usually the white end)
Slice them in half lengthwise, slice each piece in half again lengthwise (Should be 4 quarters)
Pack tightly in hot sterilized bottles.
Add a few pieces of fresh dill weed to the top of the jar, fill with hot brine 1/4 inch from the top.
Wipe the rim, place your warm snap lid on, screw the band on fingertip tight.
Return to a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.
Remove and place on a bath towel or piece of cardboard/newspapers.
Let stand 12-24 hours

The next day, check for good seals, remove all bands, wipe the threadded area of the bottle with a good wet piece of paper towel, then dry it, wipe the inside of the bands with wet paper towel, then dry it.

(If you don't do this, the bands will easily rust due to a bit of the salt brine coming out of the bottles during the water bath.

·
Administrator
10,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Mustard Pickles
(Years end chow)

In a large pot big enough to boil this, combine the following:

20 cups field cukes (peeled, seeded and diced)
6 cups chopped onions
2 Lg red peppers diced
2 Lg green peppers diced
1 Lg cauliflower
7 Cups white sugar (add 6 cups only for now)
4 Cups vinegar (add 3 cups only for now)
2 tsp pickling salt
1 cup flour (( reserve to go with 1 cup of vinegar and 1 cup of sugar...this is your paste))

SPICES
3 tsp tumeric
3 tsp mustard seed
3 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp black pepper

mix these in a bowl, add to vegetables before paste.

add 6 cups sugar, 3 cups vinegar, 2 tsp salt and your spices, to your pot of vegetables. Stir for a bit..Heat to a boil, stirring often (This is a hard stir LOL)

With the remaining 1 cup sugar, 1 cup vinegar, 1 cup flour, whisk together until smooth. (This is your paste)
When your vegetables and spices come to a boil, add your paste. Stir well and constantly, reduce heat and cook for 8-10 minutes. Once the paste is added stir constantly, if it is going to stick to the pot now will be the time.
If you like more crunch, cook for 6-8 minutes.
When finished ladle into hot bottles, wipe the rims, put the band and ring on, place in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.
Remove and place on towels overnight, the next day remove the band, use the wipe and dry procedure from the other recipe.

·
Administrator
10,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I have a few more I'll post whenever my daughter wants to type for me
😁 😁

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I just finished pickling half a 5 gal bucket of pickled beans. Does anyone else do this … or is it just a Lunenburg county thing ??? I have been eating these since I was a young kid. Last year was the first year I pickled them myself, and they were a success.

·
Administrator
10,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·

·
Administrator
10,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Took a little spin up to Withrows Farm market yesterday...my usual goto place for pickling veggies.
Picked up another 45 lb of pickling cukes...20 lb of onions..2 doz field cukes..4 cauliflowers..6 red and 6 green peppers...20 lb of beets...20 lb of green tomatoes....oughta be enuff to get the Mrs into STAB you mode again lmao
Got my green tomato chow put to bed after supper and finished it up this morning. 2 batches.

While that was simmering I got my first batch of Mustard Pickles done and ready for the stove...and the second batch all diced up...waiting in line. lol...peeled the cloves from 12 garlic bulbs ...harvested an arm load of fresh dill IN THE ^%#@#$ RAIN...chopped, snipped, picked it apart..it filled two smaller coolers, pickling cukes were scrubbed and packed in ice last night, now all thats ready for the morning...Dill pickles, B & B pickles and lots more sweet Dill spears !!

Chicken wings and a shot of CR...evening off duty 🥃🥃

·
Registered
14,256 Posts
I just finished pickling half a 5 gal bucket of pickled beans. Does anyone else do this … or is it just a Lunenburg county thing ??? I have been eating these since I was a young kid. Last year was the first year I pickled them myself, and they were a success.
When my pickling buddy was alive the wife's mom we would hit the jars real hard every year like Kevin
She would make some dill pickled yellow beans in mason jars which only she liked :) but not what you describe I think
That being said just fluke I took an order for 60 pounds of yellow beans when mine are ready 2 weeks ago and the lady said she is pickling them and told me in white 5 gallon buckets. I had never heard of that but didnot inquire more on it
When she comes to get them I will have to ask her if it may be what you are talking about
I have never run into these before in my years here. Maybe it is a Lunenburg thing
I will let you know what she says
Take care

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I make a brine with water and Kosher salt until an egg floats. Put the beans in and cover with a plate and a rock to keep the bean submerged. They can stay in the bucket for a year or more. They are nothing like the beans in the jar. These are extremely salty and need to be soaked over night and boiled off a couple of times. I cook pickled pork with them and have mashed potatoes. I’m told they are an “acquired taste”.

·
Administrator
10,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
BM...we always floated a potato in our pickle when we were making it...thats how we knew it was "hard enuff" to strike or set whatever meat...fish you.were putting in it. Sounds like the same thing your elders did.

I think it's just what the old timers did with stuff they never wanted to go to waste. We always had salted cod.. mackeral..herring...pollack. Mom bottled everything..and didn't need snap lids either...paraffin wax..string and pop sickle sticks sealed up any glass jar she decided to use. Never an issue with it goin bad....but DAMMMMMM....I hated that first spoonful when the wax came out !!!

·
Administrator
10,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Another good hot...humid..sweaty pickle making day yesterday. Had to run a few errands first...so never got started till noonish. But overall was another resounding success !!!
2 cases of sweet dilled Icicle's done...18 - 1 qt bottles of Dill Pickles done and another case of Bread and Butter Pickles to go with what I have left.
My niece will be back monday night so we can do up her mustard pickles.....beets to follow for us both also this week !
Could be the first year ever with NO labels made in September !!!

·
Registered
14,256 Posts
Man the work Kevin. Just keeping up with the dishes is huge :)
Do you have a lot left over every year
That was my problem I would be tossing half I made out and gave a lot away also
Mind you now I am the only one left here eating it other than the jams and jellies
Have to move the mrs is on the move again with her gallon of paint. :( This craft room overhaul is killing me. Yep pull/ hang 800 garlic yesterday 9 full hours all with the spade and she cannot understand why I have nothing left to work on the room when I come in
Heard her talking to a friend last night well it is going slow finally got HIM to hang the new light tonight which only took me three days of nagging and guess what it only took him 14 minutes. Flooring monday, build all that ikea crap she bought and I am done. I still have like 800 more garlic to pull :( with is my priority not a room
Oh boy happy times here :)
Cheers

·
Administrator
10,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Sorry for the late reply Joe...My poor...poor..poor wife !! She cleans up allllll my fekkin mess...every single year ! The ONLY thing she likes and eats, that I make is strawberry jam !! She certainly deserves a medal...lol she's always doinn dishes between batches while I water bath every thing.
All my bottle rims are wiped before the snap lid goes on, (THANK YOU HUNNY ) annnd I water bath EVERYTHING I bottle so good seals are never an issue !

No Joe, not a lot of left over normally. Some years I run out of some stuff...but 5 or 6 bottles of certain left overs would be lots. I've found a few hidden bottles on occasion, from 2 yrs before..still good as the day it was made ! However, the dill pickles certainly have more dill zing to em...they're awesome !!
I give away a LOT to family and friends.
Losing the bottles and not getting them back is the worst part...some return them..a few will buy me a case of new ones...but that's one of the biggest expenses. I bought 10 new cases again this year...along with the 5 that were given to me...I never seem to have enough...lol
My niece was back last night for her annual pickler event...lol 18 bottles of mustard pickles done...and I got a pot of beets cookin as I type this. 30 lbs to do up this morning..then another batch of mustards.

Bernardin now has 18 month snap lids ! I bought a bunch (20 boxes) but most stuff never makes it that long...lmao

·
Administrator
10,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
nothing new anybody ?

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Ive got plums to make jam, a few cukes left to make mustard pickles this weekend
Everything else is done

·
Registered
14,256 Posts
Honestly not into it yet but will be soon. My stuff is just not ready yet from being planted so late but looking yesterday my peaches are real close for jam which is great since last year I only got 12 for some reasons off two mature trees and normally get 100's
Also noticed for the first time I planted the trees in 2002 there are nice pears on one, They are usually there but full of black spots and small. Not this year :)
Cheers

·
Administrator
10,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
that's always good news !

21 - 40 of 48 Posts