Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner

PRICE STICKER SHOCK

31K views 1K replies 33 participants last post by  3macs1 
#1 ·
Recently looking at getting some new replacements of my " stuff " I regularly use on firearms for glass bedding...refinishing..etc. I almost hacked up a batch of new born kittens !!! WOWZERS !!!

First up...circa 1850. Bout 7 or 8 yrs ago, I bought a gallon at Kent ((well...3.68 liters))...39.99 plus taxes. So I was going to grab another gallon a few days ago....75.00 PLUS the frills !!!!!
WHAT THE ???/.....I ended up paying 24 and change for a small liter...946 mls !!
Mannn alive, glad there's still a bit of profit left over for corporate Irving!

Second go round...
I have a few of my rifles to restock and glass bed. Been using Devcon 10110 for probably 12-15 yrs on most jobs...some Brownells Acra Glass and Acra Glass Gel in between there too. Called Stellar Industries, company I dealt with for years for different things for the boat. I haven't bought a box of Devcon in 6-7 yrs. It was 46 bucks then for the 1 lb box / kit. Spoke to Tom yesterday I told him what I last paid and figured it'd be up some. Then he said, you're in luck...got 1 box left...then he said you sittin down...lol...why I said. He hits me with ...IT'S 110.00 BUCKS plus taxes now !!! Man...am I ever lucky !
I thanked him for his time and told him I'd get back to him in a day or two. Checked with Amazon, they have it...118.99 plus shipping(non prime) dayyyuuuummmm !!

Sooo, maybe I'll go the Acra Glass route. Did lots of rifles with it...never any issues. My last Acra Glass kit was 44 bucks...all in. Probably 4-5 yrs ago, come from Epps IIRC.
Called Basspro to see if they had any...I might just as well been talking to the vet about a breech birth pony !!!!
Looked around... Just checked with RustyWoods (my new goto place for some regular stuff I use)...79.00 (gel) and 75.00 (glass) bucks respectively !!!!!! plus the taxes and shipping of course.
Dang....am I really THAT out of touch on these and hundreds of other products ?? I realize companies have to make a profit, but do they have to make it all on the first guy thru the door ??
A day later and I'm still shaking the kittens out of my throat !!

See less See more
Reactions: louisbear
#2 · (Edited)
Dear Jazzzzus I'm laughing too hard about the litter of kittens and breech birth pony , yes everything is gone nutz for guns and gear .

Bought floating decoy bag for my son 4 yrs ago was $49 Really wanted it for me once got it but it was BDay Present and We got him one , so was shopping for another decoy bag , Figured wth , Tried to order Direct from Rig Em Right , nope no more Canadian Shiipping from them unless a distributor was $69 U.S now last time $49 U.S said hey no biggie , well Canadian Waterfowl Suplies was $139 plus tax and shipping almost $200 time it's to the door , this is very high quality bag, but no stock now discontinued , So Amazon had one but it comes from the U.S still & to the door $167 tax in holly hanna . Double from 4-5 yrs ago

#3 ·
I'll give ya another one I make all my own decoy rigs , #400 black fishing line was $12 Amazon for 500 ft several yrs ago , Now its $35 plus tax for 300 ft roll off Amazon , so wanted to get batch of 4 & 6 oz weights , ended up going bulk route because a doz $50 was more than a pack of 20 for $44 plus tax , Large stainless swivels go 25 for $18 used to be $8 just 2 yrs ago , Trapping wire is thru the roof unless you buy 1000 roll which I normally do and shipping on that trippled cause of weight.

Spray paints have gone up $5-8 a can now double or tripple if buy the cheaper stuff .

#4 · (Edited)
I shop two different grocery stories and four different drug stories, two of them in the grocery stories mentioned. At most none of these stores is more than 1.5 kilometres apart. The difference in price from store to store for the same item is at times shocking, sometimes as much as $ 4 to $5 dollars. Not only that but I can buy louisbear his food at one of these stories cheaper than on Amazon with free delivery or the pet store in Dartmouth Crossing. Half the time some of the items we regularly use are out of stock and I you have to hunt them down. There is no rhyme nor reason and it makes me spit nails!

#5 ·
Everything I go to buy it seems has been off the charts the last three years and that is when I can find it If I am doing any job now I plan months ahead and order in most stuff to make sure I have it when needed Funny wife mentioned the dog food saturday was $78 a bag now $95 and a smaller bag and two bags every 6 weeks adds up plus only two places stock it here and both priced within 2 dollars Don't even get me started about greenhouse supplies almost everything is at least double now

#6 ·
Recently looking at getting some new replacements of my " stuff " I regularly use on firearms for glass bedding...refinishing..etc. I almost hacked up a batch of new born kittens !!! WOWZERS !!!

First up...circa 1850. Bout 7 or 8 yrs ago, I bought a gallon at Kent ((well...3.68 liters))...39.99 plus taxes. So I was going to grab another gallon a few days ago....75.00 PLUS the frills !!!!!
WHAT THE ???/.....I ended up paying 24 and change for a small liter...946 mls !!
Mannn alive, glad there's still a bit of profit left over for corporate Irving!

Second go round...
I have a few of my rifles to restock and glass bed. Been using Devcon 10110 for probably 12-15 yrs on most jobs...some Brownells Acra Glass and Acra Glass Gel in between there too. Called Stellar Industries, company I dealt with for years for different things for the boat. I haven't bought a box of Devcon in 6-7 yrs. It was 46 bucks then for the 1 lb box / kit. Spoke to Tom yesterday I told him what I last paid and figured it'd be up some. Then he said, you're in luck...got 1 box left...then he said you sittin down...lol...why I said. He hits me with ...IT'S 110.00 BUCKS plus taxes now !!! Man...am I ever lucky !
I thanked him for his time and told him I'd get back to him in a day or two. Checked with Amazon, they have it...118.99 plus shipping(non prime) dayyyuuuummmm !!

Sooo, maybe I'll go the Acra Glass route. Did lots of rifles with it...never any issues. My last Acra Glass kit was 44 bucks...all in. Probably 4-5 yrs ago, come from Epps IIRC.
Called Basspro to see if they had any...I might just as well been talking to the vet about a breech birth pony !!!!
Looked around... Just checked with RustyWoods (my new goto place for some regular stuff I use)...79.00 (gel) and 75.00 (glass) bucks respectively !!!!!! plus the taxes and shipping of course.
Dang....am I really THAT out of touch on these and hundreds of other products ?? I realize companies have to make a profit, but do they have to make it all on the first guy thru the door ??
A day later and I'm still shaking the kittens out of my throat !!
I'm doing some work helping my wife's nephew with his rental unit. Yesterday I paid $30.99 plus tax for a litre of Seco latex paint to finish the trim!! A 3.78 litre can was $67.99! Normally I go for the large can because it is so much cheaper per litre but not at those prices!!!

#7 ·
Yesterday went for Nails , price last time 2 weeks ago was $3.29 lb for 3 1/2 Common Gal not Spiral Gal anywhere local , so picked 5 lbs , it came to $23 tax in , holy frig , Well yesterday finally had 3 1/2 spiral gal $4.89 lb said wtf , 25 lb box is $80 do the math in savings but still used to be $45 a box of 25 lbs

3 1/2 outdoor screws are now $7-8.85 per pound but a pre pkgd 1 pound box is $13 , look over and 10 lb box in reusable plastic tub is only $39 , how is that even possible , weighed the box was just over 11.7 pounds give plastic tub the extra weight . Still double price when sold loose

#18 ·
Yesterday went for Nails , price last time 2 weeks ago was $3.29 lb for 3 1/2 Common Gal not Spiral Gal anywhere local , so picked 5 lbs , it came to $23 tax in , holy frig , Well yesterday finally had 3 1/2 spiral gal $4.89 lb said wtf , 25 lb box is $80 do the math in savings but still used to be $45 a box of 25 lbs

3 1/2 outdoor screws are now $7-8.85 per pound but a pre pkgd 1 pound box is $13 , look over and 10 lb box in reusable plastic tub is only $39 , how is that even possible , weighed the box was just over 11.7 pounds give plastic tub the extra weight . Still double price when sold loose
Yea I hate buying small packages of screws, nails, nuts & bolts, etcetera. You pay through the nose. I love a hardware store where I can buy by weight though because I can get just enough for what I'm working on at the time. I find I have less waste that way but if you've got multiple projects going or coming up, bulk us the way to go!

#11 ·
The rule of thumb now is about 3x whatever you were paying. A can of spray primer at CT self etch was $9.99, now $35.00 out the door, a can. Just look at the flyers. A cheap shop vac that was $99 is now $300.The flyers had a batt of insulation that you could get for $50, now pretty well $150. I am going to paint some rooms in the house? A gallon of paint now is $60 plus before taxes. It used to be the cheapest thing one could do to spruce up the house. At this rate each room will be about $300.Imagine someone hiring a person to do it. How are some people going to keep the maintenance up? One has to look around now because the gouging is crazy. Stores down here like Bargain Harleys will be doing well. For those that don't know they have a big house, power equipment clearance warehouse now. Yes his prices went up but nothing like the ordinary stores. Bought some scent lock, water proof hunting pants yesterday $29.00 Person going to have to do more themselves and be trifty.

#13 ·
The rule of thumb now is about 3x whatever you were paying. A can of spray primer at CT self etch was $9.99, now $35.00 out the door, a can. Just look at the flyers. A cheap shop vac that was $99 is now $300.The flyers had a batt of insulation that you could get for $50, now pretty well $150. I am going to paint some rooms in the house? A gallon of paint now is $60 plus before taxes. It used to be the cheapest thing one could do to spruce up the house. At this rate each room will be about $300.Imagine someone hiring a person to do it. How are some people going to keep the maintenance up? One has to look around now because the gouging is crazy. Stores down here like Bargain Harleys will be doing well. For those that don't know they have a big house, power equipment clearance warehouse now. Yes his prices went up but nothing like the ordinary stores. Bought some scent lock, water proof hunting pants yesterday $29.00 Person going to have to do EVERYTHING themselves and be trifty.
Fixed it for you

#17 ·
Wal - Mart last week the small Bottles of Scent Killer 345 ML on clear out for $5 Reg $10 that was the price 2-3 yrs ago Grabbed all 8 bottles , It will save me down the road , can imagine next falls price .

Lumber has dropped quite a bit O.SB is back to $20 a sheet , priced 2x3 for giggles $4 each plus tax , I got 50 pcs of recycled ones 6-8 ft long for less than $40 so far only cause good friend works at a local Tractor supply chain , He gets sheets and sheets of OSB and sells them cheap or saves for rainy day .

this day and age you see anything that benefits a being reused or cheap , grab it quick , cause she's going get worse . My son bought new Semi last fall $ 3 Grand to the door , seen this yrs prices are that before taxes .

#19 · (Edited)
Might sound crazy but screw costs can add up quick
A few years ago I built two screw caddies for green deck screws each one has three stainless steel buckets on them about a gallon each I would say and sizes range from 1 inch to 3 1/2 inch
Every december I take the caddies to my pal at the building supplies and he fills them and the mrs pays the bill as part of my xmas gift Regardless what I need I always take 20 pounds min since the price drops here big time at that quality
Cost varies based on how many I used but this year the bulk price I paid was 5.85 pound and saves me overall plus I have very size I need at my finger tips at home
Now these caddies are not used for any big projects like building a greenhouse etc those screws are all bought separate

#20 ·
Best I have seen so far is the small plastic plug that you find on your car, holding the wheel well plastic on, plastic trim etc. Used them all the time. Went to get a pack of 10 the other day as that's how they usually came. The clerk says are you sure you want 10, I said what do you mean, he says they are now $10 each WTF
Cross Religious item Symbol Auto part Font

#43 ·
Price of meat has stopped us from buying like before , unless it's a sale then its a pass , there is plenty deer in the freezer , still lots of duck , few Grouse and we don't cook everyday as it is . Sunday supper can be anything , Wife wants ground beef , out comes the grinder and defrost some deer and some pork fat , there ya go . We watch sales and if I go and see potatoes on sale or carrots at good price , pick up enough to do the 2 of us . No kids at home so grocery bill is kept to low .

#60 ·
I don't remember the last time I set foot in CT, I remember the days where I would watch the weekly flyer and buy the 50-70% off crap every week. Then I realized do I really need this? I found a lot of my buying wasn't out of need but habit and buying something cause it's on sale and I might "need" it sometime later. Those days are behind me now. Food and Bills and saving is where my money goes these days.

#61 ·
Pharmacy dispensing fees , So we after 26 yrs with Lawtons got tired of bad service when the long time Pharmacist retired , place went down hill , prior to the Mandemic , lost files , no renewals on file cannot find you in the system but yet When they did costs were going up every time , to a point of maximum amount under our plan .
Last renewal couple months ago for 4 prescrips was $40 , two for my self and two for my wife , prior to that it was a third in price

That's $10 each even recd letter from Manulife certain pharmacies charge more than others for dispensing fees . So after the last fiasco of lost prescrip renwal the doctor faxed in electronically and has to do it twice cause Lawtons were inept in getting it right , we went to Shoppers , well bracing for another $40 for our renewals went to the counter and our 4 prescrips were $24 total almost half price difference between 2 companies , Greed is part of the issue today with inflation , they use that word to cover up the max they can get away with to bolster profit margins

#62 · (Edited)
In my case it all depends who takes the call here at Supervalue. They can be excellent or terrible pending the person Just a month ago 4 times I had to call my doc to send in the same item and when they found the 4th fax they found the three others. :( Try being one of 8 people in town with the same first and last name it is a night mare some times
I Have manulife for 22 years now and they were at one time the best with the best coverage and now the worst when compared to the great west I have had in the mines and my wife's current blue cross but Manulife have 1000's of different group plans also so only know what mine is
My coverage has went from 100% to 60% on many items and I have the best of 4 options in the group plan I am still in but to join the mrs plan it like 300 a month so I live with it
And yes today I will be picking up 4 items all called in together yesterday by my doc and they will charge me the fees four times which is not right IMO and they are all over the place it seems for fees there some plans the wife's approx 5.00?? , daughters 11.95 and mine I think 8.95 but has been higher on certain items some over 12
Cheers
This is 5 years ago and some are even based on the items cost which is nuts and can be way more than the 12.99

In Nova Scotia, it looked at individual pharmacies and the average dispensing fee at each. It found those ranged from $4.49 to $12.99.
Some pharmacies base their dispensing fees on a percentage of the ingredient cost – such as 10 per cent of the cost of the drug.

Yep the old coal mining days every pick up was 50 cents total regardless and that included the item costs Imagine

#63 ·
Years ago met a guy in the lumber yard / hardware store business. For years I have made sure my repairs, building materials went through him and we became friends. After my repeated business they make an attempt to give me a discount or contractor price for my business. I have friends that will drive an hour to home depot etc. No deals, then if you need service you have to go all the way back there. Does not make a lot of sense to me. Sometimes buying from that local guy in a small community pays off. Remodeling the kitchen this week, trade off for the side by side 😀 I guess its back to work, the weather is making travel to the gun show questionable.

#64 · (Edited)
Years ago met a guy in the lumber yard / hardware store business. For years I have made sure my repairs, building materials went through him and we became friends. After my repeated business they make an attempt to give me a discount or contractor price for my business. I have friends that will drive an hour to home depot etc. No deals, then if you need service you have to go all the way back there. Does not make a lot of sense to me. Sometimes buying from that local guy in a small community pays off. Remodeling the kitchen this week, trade off for the side by side 😀 I guess its back to work, the weather is making travel to the gun show questionable.
Agree 100% I do the same with building supplies, the bakery ,mechanical shop. hardware store etc etc plus as a result they are also now every one of them some of our best flower customers
As one owner says local boys take care of local boys and we all try when we can to support each other and even when they can't match a price within reason they get a shot at it first and many times I pay more just to support our customers Which is all anyone can ask . In fact talking to some today about hanging some greenhouse signs on their properties and inside their stores No problem at all
Try to do that in home depot NOT going to happen and stuff like that IMO is PRICELESS
Christ a kitchen remodel that is worth the same as a SXS now :(