Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner

Primers?

1K views 30 replies 8 participants last post by  Statik 
#1 ·
Hey all,

As you've noticed, I'm looking to get into reloading, especially 12ga and .308. In my searching, I'm noticing, and I've also been told, that primers are extremely hard to get. Is there anywhere in the province where one can get 209 primers for 12ga right now?

Thanks!

#10 ·
I am going to give my useless 2 cents on this Yes reloading is fun and a relaxing pass time However it is normally done when rare calipers cannot be found or one shoots high volumes of ammo and wants to save money
It is expensive to get set up properly and takes a lot of rounds to see any pay back
In the day the old rule was if not rare one should fire at least 10/12 boxes a year to make it worth while
The ones you are looking at 12ga and 308 would be some of the most common out there to buy for reasonable price and almost no one reloads 12ga any more since cheaper to buy the promo flats in the big picture
Especially now with the lack of components and the crazy prices of them if you can find any I cannot see how reloading will save money for you especially knowing just based on your love of dollar store shopping that is important
I upgraded my rifle gear almost 10 years ago to the tune of 2200 bucks that takes a lot of rounds to pay back anf forget shot gun an easy 20 grand there since as you reload you upgrade and want to try anything new out there IMHO Just something to think about
Like Ross sells 250 rounds of 12ga challenger for 100 bucks no way in hell could you reload 250 rounds today for that

#13 ·
Yes, to get into reloading now is at times more expensive than store bought. I reload for stuff hard to come by or like a 44 mag, you can get many rounds from a tub because of the small cases. Three years now and I have not been able to replenish my stock. People mention the shop down Truro way. Went to him but he limited one item per customer, which is not going to enable you to make many rounds. Like factory ammo everything pretty well has doubled. 308 and 12 gauge ammo are the two cheapest to buy for right now.

#15 ·
Not looking to save money. More about securing a supply that can be used longer in the future. Also looking to learn the skills for the future. Independence is going to be important soon.
There will never be a concern to secure a supply of 308 and 12ga if you have money to buy it But to each their own you rebel you :ROFLMAO: and have never heard that one for someone to get into reloading

#16 ·
Guys, he is an anti-government, come to Jesus late in life doomsday prophesier. He's preparing for the end times not getting into reloading as a hobby and natural extension of the shooting sports. Statik is prepping for his believed future battle against the zombie apocalypse and what he hopes to be the purge. :D

#17 ·
All I know is I worked In an eng dept for over 20 years with 100's of different pengs and all diciplines licenced in Nova Scotia to practice and still have a few pengs as friends as well as brothers and NEVER have I seen even one with such crazed beliefs and some were pretty out there in theory but nothing like this and always lived in reality and operated within their code of conduct Voted accepted the results and moved on and the big one LOVED canada and many were not born here
I personally donot believe we are talking the same engineers he said he is Like I have said before those that drive a train maybe or in the military the ones that look for land mines and even then not the same as being presented here over and over Then again maybe land mines has something to do with it :D
Cheers

#18 ·
A few years ago.… there was not a 308 bullet to be found on the South Shore. I was selling some of my stash, since at that time …. I didn’t own a 308. Now there is tons of it. I’m guessing people who owned 308’s, got rid of them for a caliber that was easier to find ammo for ???? Now, tons of 308 … and very limited 30-06. Starting to see more calibers on the shelf again. Seems to be lots of 30-30 again. CT in B’water has a good supply of 25-06 if anyone is looking. Lots of 270, and 6.5 CM. Even some 410 back on the shelf. 12g is everywhere.… like mentioned …. But getting expensive. I have a box of cheap Remington 12g, that has a price tag of 6.99. That wasn’t that long ago. Now, the cheapest I can find is $19.99 … and will likely keep going up.

#19 ·
A few years ago.… there was not a 308 bullet to be found on the South Shore. I was selling some of my stash, since at that time …. I didn’t own a 308. Now there is tons of it. I’m guessing people who owned 308’s, got rid of them for a caliber that was easier to find ammo for ???? Now, tons of 308 … and very limited 30-06. Starting to see more calibers on the shelf again. Seems to be lots of 30-30 again. CT in B’water has a good supply of 25-06 if anyone is looking. Lots of 270, and 6.5 CM. Even some 410 back on the shelf. 12g is everywhere.… like mentioned …. But getting expensive. I have a box of cheap Remington 12g, that has a price tag of 6.99. That wasn’t that long ago. Now, the cheapest I can find is $19.99 … and will likely keep going up.
BM..it will NEVER go back down again...that I can guarandamtee ya !!!

Reactions: Buckmark
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.