Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Thanks for sharing Gary !

First I don't agree with using a crossbow for harvesting waterfowl , seen in the past where birds shot with crossbow did not die and went around with a arrow hanging from thier neck or body and still alive , and got away . this is sending wrong msg .

Second like to know how that would work out for youth to get free Migratory Bird Permit and cuts to funding from such revenue , I'm all for ways to get youth involved to hunting and make it easier , but what will get cut or will they just hike the cost back onto the majority of Permit Buyers .

As for gifting of meat from waterfowl we all know this has gone on for decades.

Keeping the full feathered wing attached to birds harvested , ensures that proper bag limits are followed , this should never be removed from the regs .

I've sent my feed back

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re - keeping the feathered wing; when you read the reg proposal, its basically saying you dont have to store the bird with wing on. I hilighted/underlined some stuff from the doc below.

Requirement to retain fully feathered wing or fully feathered head of unpreserved birds

It is proposed that the hunter have the choice to retain either the fully feathered head or a fully feathered wing to remain attached to unpreserved carcasses for identification purposes. The provisions governing the daily bag and possession limits and open season dates differ according to each species, allowing the Regulations to help ensure conservation of the species. For this reason, it is important for game officers to be able to identify the species of birds harvested, which can be done equally well from a fully feathered head as from a wing. This requirement would only apply to unpreserved birds, when they are still in the hands of the hunter who harvested them, or are in temporary custody, or have been gifted. It is important to note that a bird that is eviscerated and plucked would not be considered preserved and must have a fully feathered wing or head attached until the migratory game bird is frozen, made into sausage, cooked, dried, canned, or smoked.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Thanks missed that part , glad to see common sense is still in focus on identifying the species harvested

·
Registered
6,252 Posts
Thanks for sharing Gary !
First I don't agree with using a crossbow for harvesting waterfowl , seen in the past where birds shot with crossbow did not die and went around with a arrow hanging from thier neck or body and still alive , and got away . this is sending wrong msg .
Second like to know how that would work out for youth to get free Migratory Bird Permit and cuts to funding from such revenue , I'm all for ways to get youth involved to hunting and make it easier , but what will get cut or will they just hike the cost back onto the majority of Permit Buyers .
As for gifting of meat from waterfowl we all know this has gone on for decades.
Keeping the full feathered wing attached to birds harvested , ensures that proper bag limits are followed , this should never be removed from the regs .
I've sent my feed back
People have been using long bow,recurve and compounds all along for migratory birds and other game birds including turkey and ostrich, so why not a crossbow.
Very little chance of the arrow not passing through unless using a dumb dumb. Of course if your shooting ducks on the fly ( without a line attached ) you may loose a few arrows!

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I’m all for the free youth tag for the season, instead of just one day. However on the flip side it might be disappointing to lose that one early day that kids got to hunt prior to the big opening day blasting.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I'm all for the free youth tag for the season, instead of just one day. However on the flip side it might be disappointing to lose that one early day that kids got to hunt prior to the big opening day blasting.
All 3 my kids have enjoyed that day greatly , B4 birds start getting pounded at heavily on opening day , told my daughter who has just one year left of Heritage day this year she may loose out due to being cancelled but won't have to pay for her licence , point blank she said I don't care I'll pay my licence fees I have a job , I love heritage day , I get limited time with work and school as it is , besides too much money has been spent for my gear just to sit and try to schedule a day off to go . For some it's a Negetive and to others it's all positive . 50/50 , as I said I'm all for anything to get youth involved including free LIC. But yet when they work and in final year of high school and life is busy , free licence doesn't go very far then , a day to just youth being allowed under mentorship carries high values for all involved . Gotta look at both sides for some it's a win-win for others is missed opportunity .

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
People have been using long bow,recurve and compounds all along for migratory birds and other game birds including turkey and ostrich, so why not a crossbow.
Very little chance of the arrow not passing through unless using a dumb dumb. Of course if your shooting ducks on the fly ( without a line attached ) you may loose a few arrows!
Tripple D as I said I've seen first hand trying capture birds shot with crossbows and get lost from so called hunters , I know of others who have harvested other birds using how's but as well using a string to keep from lost game taken, not everyone does thier due diligence period while hunting and we all know this will create more negetivity towards hunting with more wounded waterfowl going around injured cause some dumb dumb never secured his arrows as one should to begin with .

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have mixed feelings about the free youth licenses - my first thought when reading it was it was likely recommended by many hunters - all/most of them likely over 50 yrs old. Seems older people snag up on the free thing.

From several years of being involved with youth programs, dont see the cost of a small game license & duck stamp as something that would make a difference. Was also involved in delivering the NS Big Game Society Youth Program for several years - a program that paid for the Hunter Ed/Firearms/Bowhunter courses - most years had to beg people to participate. The cost of the courses was not important to most.

What makes a difference, IMO, is opportunity to get out with someone to take them, show them the ropes, let them make mistakes, etc over multiple outings. Having that mentor NOT hunt, while doing this, is important - all focus is on the youth. Thats what I like about the Youth Day. Problem is, its just 1 day of the year. Easy for a youth to miss out on one day of the year.

Also, there's the money part - as per the link, in OP - Wildlife Habitat Canada is going to lose out on the dollars from the stamp that the new hunter would normally have to purchase. To me, its valuable for all to contribute to wildlife habitat - especially hunters since its not only tradition but helps some realize the importance of the habitat & that they're doing a small part to contribute/giving something back. I always enjoyed taking youth, to buy their license, then go to the Post Office to get their duck stamp - their eyes would kinda light up. I'm thinking most still have those first stamps tucked away somewhere.

Anyway, enough rambling - here's hoping you experienced guys take a new hunter out this year on a couple/or more outings, dont matter if its ducks, deer, rabbits or squirrels.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I have mixed feelings about the free youth licenses - my first thought when reading it was it was likely recommended by many hunters - all/most of them likely over 50 yrs old. Seems older people snag up on the free thing.
From several years of being involved with youth programs, dont see the cost of a small game license & duck stamp as something that would make a difference. Was also involved in delivering the NS Big Game Society Youth Program for several years - a program that paid for the Hunter Ed/Firearms/Bowhunter courses - most years had to beg people to participate. The cost of the courses was not important to most.

What makes a difference, IMO, is opportunity to get out with someone to take them, show them the ropes, let them make mistakes, etc over multiple outings. Having that mentor NOT hunt, while doing this, is important - all focus is on the youth. Thats what I like about the Youth Day. Problem is, its just 1 day of the year. Easy for a youth to miss out on one day of the year.

Also, there's the money part - as per the link, in OP - Wildlife Habitat Canada is going to lose out on the dollars from the stamp that the new hunter would normally have to purchase. To me, its valuable for all to contribute to wildlife habitat - especially hunters since its not only tradition but helps some realize the importance of the habitat & that they're doing a small part to contribute/giving something back. I always enjoyed taking youth, to buy their license, then go to the Post Office to get their duck stamp - their eyes would kinda light up. I'm thinking most still have those first stamps tucked away somewhere.

Anyway, enough rambling - here's hoping you experienced guys take a new hunter out this year on a couple/or more outings, dont matter if its ducks, deer, rabbits or squirrels.
Gary my thoughts exactly , we also should have a youth day at least once a month , no veteran hunters to hunt that day , just mentor and watch em learn and have fun , my kids never had issues buying thier licence , all 3 have every duck licence since they started hunting , I myself have everyone since I started , as for the money loss , that should not go to the way side , those funds are important , I always explained what they do and tried to reach those I mentored over the years how those funds to to work . When first built my first duck boxes I was mentoring my younger brother (10yrs younger ) and his friend , both never had clue how or what went into conservation of how those licences helped enhancement programs .

·
Registered
6,252 Posts
Tripple D as I said I've seen first hand trying capture birds shot with crossbows and get lost from so called hunters , I know of others who have harvested other birds using how's but as well using a string to keep from lost game taken, not everyone does thier due diligence period while hunting and we all know this will create more negetivity towards hunting with more wounded waterfowl going around injured cause some dumb dumb never secured his arrows as one should to begin with .
Numerous birds,upland and waterfowl as well as game animals ie.deer,rabbits,are injured and never recovered by gun hunters as well. Your painting all bow hunters with the same brush Ty. Should I paint all gun hunters that way? ALL HUNTERS should work together to promote the hunting and shooting sports. Too often I hear gun hunters chit on bow hunters and vice versa no need of it IMO.
A bow,longbow,recurve,compound or crossbow, is just as deadly as a rifle/shotgun in the proper hands.

I can guarantee you the anti's don't give a sweet chit what weapon anyone uses. They are organized and stick together for the greater cause,we as hunters have to start doing the same thing. IF ITS LEGAL with must accept it whether we agree or not.

·
Registered
6,252 Posts

Well said sir! When I was a kid I would of done anything needed to get the $$$ to buy my license. The cost was the least of my worries.
Also it is very enjoyable taking someone out and showing them "the ropes" youth or not,lol. But even for youth there are lots of opportunities to take them out and mentor them,they're youth day only doesn't have to be a factor.I'm kinda 50-50 on having too many days solely for youth ( or any other group ).Only because not everyone can hunt everyday and many hunters only have the weekends to hunt,wouldn't want those to loose a day because only group X can hunt.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Numerous birds,upland and waterfowl as well as game animals ie.deer,rabbits,are injured and never recovered by gun hunters as well. Your painting all bow hunters with the same brush Ty. Should I paint all gun hunters that way? ALL HUNTERS should work together to promote the hunting and shooting sports. Too often I hear gun hunters chit on bow hunters and vice versa no need of it IMO.
A bow,longbow,recurve,compound or crossbow, is just as deadly as a rifle/shotgun in the proper hands.
I can guarantee you the anti's don't give a sweet chit what weapon anyone uses. They are organized and stick together for the greater cause,we as hunters have to start doing the same thing. IF ITS LEGAL with must accept it whether we agree or not.
Sorry Tripple D not painting anyone with a brush , I infact own two cross bows , just because I still prefer my Firearms does not mean I don't still try put in some time slinging arrows . Lol

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
If there’s a crossbow bolt STUCK in a bird then they had to have been using field points I would guess. Or a blunt that’s only as big as the bolt. My guess is that it’s not as common knowledge to many crossbow shooters that you need a large blunt for taking birds.

·
Registered
6,252 Posts
If there's a crossbow bolt STUCK in a bird then they had to have been using field points I would guess. Or a blunt that's only as big as the bolt. My guess is that it's not as common knowledge to many crossbow shooters that you need a large blunt for taking birds.
There are blunts which I always called dumb dumbs but most call them blunts made of hard rubber or plastic and they kill by shock. Also won't stick in a tree trunk or branch if you shoot at a bird sitting in a tree. There are also basket points which have lots of wire with the blunt in the Center ( I don't really like these ).Most guys bird hunting with a bow use flu flu fletching which prevents an arrow from traveling too far so you don't loose so many arrows.

If you want a real challenge try shooting birds on the fly with a bow!

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The reg change proposals include wording for a minimum size/type broadheads.

Some interesting proposals in these docs. Reminder that Wednesday, July 31 is deadline for comments.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I like the change they have planned to make ducks you’ve dressed and put into the freezer NOT part of your possession anymore. If you hunted ducks a lot it was easy to suddenly be in violation of the limit if you weren’t eating them all every other day.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
As per regs out yesterday for the province Waterfowl Heritage day this year is scheduled .

Guess any revisions will be made once Federal revisions are complete

1 - 18 of 18 Posts