Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 399 Posts

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An old friend of mine has recently been bitten by the hutning bug and he's new to all of it. After he recently completed all the courses, he wanted to work together on a project he'd researched...mineral sites for deer. He picked up enough rack stacker mineral product for the 2 of us to build 3 sites.

I set up one at my regular stand and we each scouted out a new area and set up 2 more. The 3 sites are no where near one another and each have a unique set of conditions. Ones a field edge on a property that commonly see's deer. Another is my regular stand that's a fall travel area, but doesn't hold summer deer and the third is deep in the bush in an area that seems to have a good population base of resident deer.

The fountain works like this....you trim off a medium size tree and mount your pail at the top of it. The pail has drain holes in it, so as it rains, the minerals leach down over the tree. We also spread a bit around the ground near the base of the tree as well.

2 of the 3 sites are seeing action. My regular stand has had nothing but squirrels and raccoons. Tim's site has seen a bit of deer and of course...a beer. lol My deep bush site is seeing lots of activity.

Here's a few pictures from the sites...

Hopefully we'll get out to check the mineral sites this weekend.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I saw this on TV. Did he buy this locally?
We got ours from [email protected]

Bob Martell
Rack Stacker Pro Staff
Young Guns Seed & Feed Sales
NS Rack Stacker Dealer
11 West Side Rd, Porters Lake, NS

I have his number and email, but I dont know if I should post it publically without his consent. If you'd like it, PM me and I'll reply to you with it. He's been a big help with this project for both Tim and I. He also carries food plot supplies. Tim is toying with a small plot as well.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I believe the kit is around $30 and aif you just want to buy a 5lb bag of mineral powder, its around $15 maybe.

I went into this project with no expectations. If anything, it was just a reason to do some scouting and get the trail cams out. Any success would be a bonus. Plus I love velvet pics of bucks.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Markus I thought peanutbutter painted on a tree would be the only atractant you would be using for bears.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Hey guys I think that Sure Gain are dealers for Rack Stacker now. I think thats the brand they are selling they have it in Amherst I'm going to give it a try at the camp in a couple weeks. Oh they also have a flyer that gives great direction on how to use all the products. lol I thought it was molasses on the tree 15 feet up that he painted and the bear got stuck to....like glue traps for mice....mollasses trees for bears.
Just proves Markus is higher on the food chain lol...

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
If you PM food plotter, he might be able to get you in touch with that 'Bob Martell' fella !!

Markus,
He didn't tell me that it attracts 'beer' !!

Ahhhh !!
So THAT'S why there's always an ample supply of wobbly-pop at the camp !!

Is that why the bear is there?

food plotter knows his stuff...If you're just getting started, he'll help you out as best he can.

Bob

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
i'm gonna try some in my backyard.....what i like about marcus's pics is the way the deer seem drawn in by the scent of it.....might make for some good pics too!

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here's a few new pics. Tim and I checked all 3 sites tonight...lots of walking and only 1 tick.

First stop was his site. The bear is there a lot and there's a doe and new fawn hanging around. Tim moved his cam back from the site, but I think he's gonna move it forward again next visit.

Next stop was my regular stand. Finally a deer. lol This young buck was into the soil and stump quite a bit.

The last stop was my new spot. This is one busy spot.

Look at the head on this fella.

I have 100's of pictures of bunnies chowing down on the base of the tree and you can really see the damage they are doing. They really seem to like it. lol

1 - 20 of 399 Posts