Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I hadnt planned on using/buying a muzzleloader, but when the deal of a lifetime comes your way, your mind fails.

I bought a year and a half old Traditions Buckstalker, scoped. Rod beneath the barrel has a removeable jag, and a t-handle slip on palm saver...cool. What I would like, is to purchase a one piece rod to do all my cleaning and loading on the range, leaving the rod under the barrel strictly for hunting purposes. My question...what do you guys use/recommend, and where can I get one?

Thanks for sharing,

Bsa.308

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
it's not a one piece but ,I picked up a cabelas muzzleloader field cleaning kit and it is pretty decent. Other than that, I use the rod that came with mine. Londero sports in Que sells a fair amount of ML accessories if you happen to be looking.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I have the same Cabelas Black Powder Field Cleaning Kit as Nomad mentioned. It comes with a 3 piece heavy brass rod with an aluminum handle. It works well. I haven't seen it on their website recently, but it may be on the US Cabelas?

My rod has fused together and is essentially a one piece rod now. I even tried pliers and can't twist them apart. Only thing I can figure is maybe powder and water/cleaning solvent acted like glue and welded the joints? I originally began shooting Triple Seven powder and cleaning with water, but switched over to Blackhorn 209 and Hoppes #9.

In addition to the rod being fused, the T/C universal loading/cleaning jag I had on it is fused solid also. It works great for loading, but with the 2"x2" square cotton cleaning patches I have it will often bind in the bottom of the barrel, forcing me to remove the breech plug and push the rod & patch out the breech end. Thinner patches will likely cure that however.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks folks.

I have read some online reviews, and it sounds good. I looked around and also found another one piece 32 inch rod made of pvc, with threaded end to accept jags, brushes etc. Comes from blackpowder traditions company...and only $21.98 free shipping. I will probably end up with the cabelas one and this one...oh no, 2 rods??? Guess Ill have to buy a second muzzie.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts