Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
281 - 300 of 336 Posts

·
Administrator
10,845 Posts
Great progress pics Steve !!! Well done!

The first pic of you wet cat reminds me of them gremlins...lmao

Awesome thread !!

·
Registered
157 Posts
I do like how both are coming together.

Many people contact me and want to tan a bear themselves.. I ask them if they have a tanned before Nope. first time. I tell them that a bear, raccoon yote and beaver shouldn't be their first. Every one that was tanned will be in the trash within a year.Then the others who want to do their first taxidermy mounts . A squirrel is not an easy mount to do. Squirrels are hard to get to look right and they are small to work with. A raccoon size animal is the best to start on or maybe a deer head. 40 years ago I started my first fish 40 years ago minus 10 minutes I stopped doing fish.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
like the progress pics on the cat.

Steve - you can but plaster paris local - I know one of my contractors had a bag of it on one job. If you want I can ask him where he got it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
So today's work will be a bobcat rug .
Starting with the rug shell form. More and more forms are arriving with more work to be done I have noticed this season..
Usually the rug shells arrive and just a couple minutes to fit the jaw sets. >Not this one.

Food Ingredient Cuisine Dish Petal

Ingredient Food Cuisine Dish Art

Natural material Cuisine Ingredient Road surface Fashion accessory

Jaw Food Ingredient Road surface Bivalve

Jaw Ingredient Wood Road surface Asphalt

Jaw Road surface Asphalt Snout Flooring

After its all adjusted . Bondo is applied to reattach the rug shell and hold the jaw set in place

Ingredient Gas Power tool Saw Wood

Jaw Wood Cuisine Gas Dish

Better part of 2 hrs to do.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Have to sew all the holes about 20 in this cat. All my doing. Skinning fleshing and shaving can all require sewing. 3 holes before the back ankle

Art Feather Fur Painting Fur clothing

Shaving machine almost got the whole leg cut off
Eye Ecoregion Water Wood Grass

Head Jaw Bone Snout Creative arts

Ears were split during skinning so tanning can get in there... Now they are opened and bondo used to support ears

Snout Natural material Fur Wildlife Whiskers

Natural material Chemical compound Ingredient Fur Coconut

Cat Carnivore Felidae Small to medium-sized cats Whiskers

Insert the rug shell try to keep the clay where it was put.
Can see where the eyes lids were split and lips . The eye skins are used to tuck under the clay to hold the eye skin in place.
The lips are also tucked inside but mostly will be cut off after its dry.

Cat Felidae Carnivore Small to medium-sized cats Whiskers

This is how I do all my rugs on a stand with hide hanging down.

Wood Fur clothing Art Animal product Fur

Lips and eyes are tucked. Adjust them later
Cat Wood Carnivore Small to medium-sized cats Felidae

On the board somewhat dry. Tin foils help to hold the ears just in case the bondo didn't get all the way to the edges.
Nose to base of tail 25" Twin female cat to the full mount I did 2 weeks ago
Last cat rug I did was at that outdoor store in Burnside ( Now its a gun range) for 7 years . After the business was sold I picked up all the taxidermy items I had displayed there, posted on Etsy and was sold in a month. He went to Ont.

This cat or the bigger one I trapped has a name on it and the others will be sold
Wood Flooring Wing Metal Event

Stick around as I just received the last 2 forms An otter and a 35 mount cat . Next weeks work.

·
GREYBEARD
3,189 Posts
Very interesting, thanks for showing more in progress pictures.
Just out of curiosity with the work you did on the form for the cat head, what are the form s made of? some sort of plastic?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Its a 4 lb foam . Mix A and a B. Pour into a form and let it expand. Its like a spray foam only that stuffs a 2 lbs I think. This is more dense.
Tomorrow I hope to be working on the otter base and the 35 lb cat . Client needs to decide if he wants the cat attaching and 3 ft out from the wall or launching along the wall and only out 16 " . Big cat and bigger base

·
Registered
157 Posts
Otter mount. Base work.
My vision of this rock is to look like a smooth rock that may be found along a river edge.

Polar bear Wood Motor vehicle Gas Fender

Wood Bottle Gas Flooring Cooking
Wood Font Gas Motor vehicle Waste

Wood Gas Bottle Artifact Cooking

My vision was not reached.
The rock mix was either to runny or too thick . Lots of issues.
After I finished this rock I realized I don't have enough rock mix for the big cat mount.
Thats on hold again til I figure out how to make rock mix. . I have vermiculite, and plaster of Paris. . Last ingredient is powdered glue (dextrine)

281 - 300 of 336 Posts