Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
301 - 320 of 336 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
So the 35 lb cat form needs to be modified big time. Needs to add 4 inches to the length and 3 " to the roundness of the body.
Head needs to be extended also. Ears are not where they need to be.
Jaw Creative arts Art Tail Trunk
Snake Scaled reptile Flooring Wood Reptile

Shoulder neck and hips are the right size measured from the carcass
Flooring Road surface Wood Chemical compound Concrete

The chest needs to be cut the other way so the perportions are correct.
Glove Beige Wood Human leg Plaster

Road surface Gas Human leg Concrete Foot

All screwed together to see its its right.
Now needs to be spray foamed to see if its the right size. Sprayfoamed sanded and compared again to the original carcass. Head still needs to be entended.

·
Registered
452 Posts
An amazing amount of work involved. I've often wondered but have never seen anything as detailed as what you are showing us. Its very easy to understand why mounts cost so much when you see all this!
In 1978 a guy mounted a Blue Jay (that had died mysteriously) for me. Charged me $15 or $20 which even then I thought was very reasonable. Especially since he probably shouldn't have even touched it!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Tell you that cat fought me all the way. Things went smooth with the otter I bought a form very close to the same size and pose client wanted. . Adjusted the form to the size of the carcass. Pulled the otter hide over it and sewed it up. . This cat I resized the form to fit the carcass over a day and half . and when I put the cat skin on the form it was way to big. Rear legs were too long so the belly seam was not even close . Like 4 " apart. Top leg muscles were too rounded on the form also hindering the closing seam. bellies was too big , Chest was too big . Although I resized the form to the carcass the actually cat skin had shrunk and lost its stretch . So about 6hr later It was all sewn . This cat is in launch mode. Its past the point of staying on the rock.. So when I did get the skin on and all the clay work added weight. Since its only has 3 legs on the rock . Its leaning even further off the rock. Since its got a swivel head the eye can be set level which is key to any mount. Now its even more in launch mode.
For now I don't have a pic as its just not in a good spot to photo it . But rest assure I will have a pic posted when its finished.
Wood Motor vehicle Window Gas Machine
Window Wood Art Machine Space

These pics are before I found it the form was too large

Brown Wood Ceiling House Soil

Wood Soil Fur Big cats Terrestrial animal

Been busy cleaning my shop too.
Wood Cabinetry Table Drawer Gas
Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Floor Fender
Automotive tire Wood Floor Gas Hardwood
Wood Gas Tire Retail Automotive tire

·
Administrator
10,845 Posts
Steve...You must go through a lot of socks...wearing your patented "crocs" in the shop...lmao

·
Registered
157 Posts
Otter all done and out the door. Client was very pleased . With a house full of taxidermy mounts even my wife was hoping I didn't get paid for it. She had a spot all lined up for it.

Cabinetry Carnivore Art Sculpture Flooring

Cabinetry Sculpture Flooring Carnivore Felidae

Sculpture Grey Wood Art Terrestrial animal

Just a little painting to do on the roadkill cat mount. Other cat rug just needs backing done and a bear rug felt and backing. . Last cat rug form and more small racoon heads to do was just shipped. Then the freezer is empty.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Last bear for the season Done. It came in late Feb 3rd. Missed my normal timeline of 8 week turn around. Covid delays.

Story here was it was shot and left to rot. Client heard about the bear found it and tagged it. . Seen my ad on KIJIJI and followed up on it. . There was major concerns for slippage but only had some on the rear flank arm pit . Hair is thin there and that area is dyed black so not noticeable unless you go looking for it.

Furniture Couch Comfort Wood Interior design

·
Registered
157 Posts
Small road kill cat .
Sister to the cat walking down the rock a several pics above. Picked them both up as road kills same day 2 kms apart.

Client didn't want a felt trim.

Wood Carnivore Grey Fawn Felidae

Drill for ref to size
Wood Felidae Small to medium-sized cats Carnivore Hardwood

301 - 320 of 336 Posts