Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know Im not in NS, but lots of good info on here. I was out running around the sloughs here in Northern Alberta lol. Got my very first duck...a female redhead...anyone know how they taste?

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
How they taste ? Quite a bit on the wild side , after 23 plus years with a female redhead , have lots of experience

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I know Im not in NS, but lots of good info on here. I was out running around the sloughs here in Northern Alberta lol. Got my very first duck...a female redhead...anyone know how they taste?
I'll say this and this is just my two cents weather it matters , but ducks and geese hunted over salt water that feed the MAJORITY in salt water and fresh water areas , do have a slight different taste of those that are hunted over cultivated fields , of the paries I've been lucky to hunt Manitoba for waterfowl and found they are not as strong tasting , even the smell when cleaning them is in the tamer side.

I hunt only salt water bays and inlets and marshes , I've been invited many times hunt cultivated fields here on the Cape by farmers I know to help control the mess and some of the destruction caused by waterfowl , I know of places I can limit out with ease , due to left over feed on the fields but that goes against my morals and ethics , plus it's frowned on by many also illegal to hunt over bait present , so I simply decline .

I do know of farmers who say those birds feeding on thier fields do have different taste than those harvested over salt and fresh water .

Reguardless you have some very good eating as roast stuffed duck is just down right delicious

·
Registered
13,353 Posts
No where as good as a teal or wood duck but Ok

Not as good as a mallard either IMO

Real dark stringy meat if I remember right but still good eating

Cheers

·
Registered
12 Posts
Redheads.... the duck not the other ones the fellas we talking about, are fine eaters. In your part of the woods (Northern AB), they feed on mostly veg and alot of times they will be hanging w the canvasbacks which are total veg eaters. All the ones I ate in my decade in AB were not bad at all. Of course the corn fed mallards are better there and yes the woodies here are top notch.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts