Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner

x_y_of_z_posts

·
Registered
x_posts
Discussion Starter #1
Redfield Aperture Sight - no apparent Model or Serial numbers found

Tang mounted on 99 Savage, caliper 303 Savage. The ball bearings for the detents are missing from the elevation and windage adjustments. Fortunately both springs remain. Someone replaced the detent balls with lengths of drill bit. I believe ball bearings 0.0820" diameter might work.

Not much information found on the internet.

·
Registered
x_posts
Discussion Starter #3
deadeyes,

Pretty close... I have the sight on the rifle. As you may have found, there is precious little actual data about these sights available. A diagram with part names and accurate measurements would be incredibly useful. Lots of ads offering to sell "Redfield" sights... many of these ads are highly suspect, as I find many people appear to not understand the many different variations of these sights that were available. Dealing with Brownells in the states has its own issues - just try to import anything labelled "gun parts"!

I need to replace the two missing "sight click balls". Have considered making a visit to the local jeweller to see if I can find balls of the proper diameter. Otherwise, may have to wait for the gun shows to start and hope for the best.

·
Registered
x_posts
is there any bicycle repair shops close by? they usually carry lots of different ball bearings in different diameters. might find what you need there, just remove the sight from the rifle and take it with you so they can size a bearing against the hole it sits in.

x_y_of_z_posts