Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16,694 Posts
I am new to your board but was a very active waterfowl hunter up until 6 years ago when I had to pretty much stop due to serious health reasons. At that time I was reloading all of my own steel shot 100% for my 10ga thinking I was doing very well getting some close to 1500 fps with STEEL powder and sam1 wads.
Well this year the doc is giving me the green light to hunt again other than behind the house so I cannot wait. I know a lot has changed just by reading what I can on the web and wonder now should I just stick to reloading the 10ga and buy all of my 12 ga shells. I have not reloaded any 12ga steel at this stage.
I am thinking leave the 10ga for the geese and PEI trips and dust off the almost new now 7 year old 12ga's for the local ducks. My guns I know are still OK in the 12's since at the time I bought a 3 1/2 browning gold with a 3 1/2 BPS as a back up and also have a 3 1/2 Win x2.
If you guys are reloading steel for 12ga what are your favorite loads and where are you buying your components.
My sister also lives in Lantz and tells me there is a real nice shop just down the road from her so perhaps I should just go up and buy factory loads for the 12ga.If so what make and size would work best for ducks in 3" and 3 1/2"
Your feedback is appreciated.

·
Registered
940 Posts
"I should just go up and buy factory loads for the 12ga.If so what make and size would work best for ducks in 3" and 3 1/2"

What works best for factory loads in your gun is a loaded question pardon the pun. A survey was done on here and folks got to put their favourite loads up and it was a dead heat for the top two Kent and Winchester I believe.

I use 3.5 1625fps w/wad wizard for everything- ducks and geese

What it comes down to is what works best in your gun. Id be happy to give you a couple Kents in different loads so you can try them.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi 3Macs1, I was loading my own steel loads a few years back until the price of steel went through the roof at $47 for a 10 lb bag but here's what I was loading.

Fed Gold Medal hull 2 3/4"
Fed Mag 209 Primers
37.6 grs of Steel Powder
Sam 1 wad
1 1/16 oz # 2 shot
barrel pressure was 9300 PSI
Speed 1695 fsp avg of 3 shots through a chronograph.
This load would go through Eiders at 30 yards, it was very deadly, I was getting my shot and wads at S.I.R but I can't find the shot anywhere now.

·
Registered
16,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"I should just go up and buy factory loads for the 12ga.If so what make and size would work best for ducks in 3" and 3 1/2"

What works best for factory loads in your gun is a loaded question pardon the pun. A survey was done on here and folks got to put their favourite loads up and it was a dead heat for the top two Kent and Winchester I believe.

I use 3.5 1625fps w/wad wizard for everything- ducks and geese

What it comes down to is what works best in your gun. Id be happy to give you a couple Kents in different loads so you can try them.
Sounds Great Ed. I will definately get in touch once the MRS nails down the dates I will be in your area. Looking forward to meeting you and picking up some 12ga stuff.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I have always liked the performance of the Kent Fasteel, I am getting tired of the duds. They don't seal the crimps or primers which allows moisture to creep in. The remington ammo is sealed but expensive. I plan to buy some and supplement with reloaded shells.

The RSI Steel Shot Handbook has 130 different load recipes which will give me tons of options. I am getting ready to load and pattern some 12 ga 3.5" 1 3/8 oz 1,500 BB&T Duplex loads to pass shoot spring snow geese. The word is that this works good in steel vs the old duplex lead loads some of us remember.

Kevin, you can buy SAM1 wads, felt spacers, buffer, over shot cards and steel shot ($33.00 per bag) from wholesale sports.

·
Registered
16,694 Posts
I have always liked the performance of the Kent Fasteel, I am getting tired of the duds. They don't seal the crimps or primers which allows moisture to creep in. The remington ammo is sealed but expensive. I plan to buy some and supplement with reloaded shells.

The RSI Steel Shot Handbook has 130 different load recipes which will give me tons of options. I am getting ready to load and pattern some 12 ga 3.5" 1 3/8 oz 1,500 BB&T Duplex loads to pass shoot spring snow geese. The word is that this works good in steel vs the old duplex lead loads some of us remember.

Kevin, you can buy SAM1 wads, felt spacers, buffer, over shot cards and steel shot ($33.00 per bag) from wholesale sports.
Hi:
Just to share I have put together every 10ga load in the old rsi book version 7, (which may be 10 total) paper tested them,chrono them and even played with slitting my own sam1 wads and in the end I have settled on 4 duplex loads.
The duplex loads are faster, give a greater percentage on all yardages and kill stone dead especially for geese with T or F over BBB. I have not done any 12 ga so far but if the 10ga results are any indication you will be pleased. I have not buffered any but do seal the crimps/ primers and am over 1625 fps with 2 of the duplex.
The rsi loads that worked best for me in the 10ga was no.97,99,100 and 101. 80% base with 20% over top.
Every shell was done also by hand one at at time no bushings or universal shot bars.
Also from experience don't order any more than 2 of the 10 pound bags of steel shot at a time or the shipping cost goes up like crazy 4X.Been there. Now what I do is if I order a gun case two bags of shot are added etc. Please let us know how yours work out. Take Care

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thanks for the info Pete, I really like the load I've listed because it works great and has low recoil. I gave 4 boxes of that load to a friend of mind to take to PEI for geese a few years back,2 of the boxes didn't leave the Island because the guide was so impressed by the load that he claimed them for himself LOL.

·
Registered
465 Posts
That's great info Joseph, I have a 10 ga reloader as well. That just might be the answer for those high flying white geese. I don't rely on bushings or charge bars either.

I'm sure you will be happy with that RCBS scale. I received your money order tonight, it will be mailed tommorrow.

·
Registered
16,694 Posts
That's great info Joseph, I have a 10 ga reloader as well. That just might be the answer for those high flying white geese. I don't rely on bushings or charge bars either.

I'm sure you will be happy with that RCBS scale. I received your money order tonight, it will be mailed tommorrow.
Sounds good Pete. I have a 1010 now and by adding yours will help speed up loading the 10ga duplex loads. I was an old 10ga shooter with BB lead 2 1/4 oz before steel so I am still trying to find something that will work close to those old killers.Liked the bismuth, tungsten, etc but cannot afford to use them.
The No. 100 load in my rsi book with TT over BBB at 1625 is the best I have shot so far. I use that for my third shot and have made some long kills with it.

·
Registered
16,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was looking at 99 and 100 recipes tonight. I thinking about trying BBB with T on top. Where do you get your 10 ga hulls?
That will work fine.Right now all of my 10ga hulls were ones I shot from factory new and saved over the years. Mostly Federals. I did just buy some from a guy but they are not here yet. Not really sure what will be in that mixture.

·
Registered
16 Posts
No Sir. I have never heard of that before.
I am new to your board but was a very active waterfowl hunter up until 6 years ago when I had to pretty much stop due to serious health reasons. At that time I was reloading all of my own steel shot 100% for my 10ga thinking I was doing very well getting some close to 1500 fps with STEEL powder and sam1 wads.
Well this year the doc is giving me the green light to hunt again other than behind the house so I cannot wait. I know a lot has changed just by reading what I can on the web and wonder now should I just stick to reloading the 10ga and buy all of my 12 ga shells. I have not reloaded any 12ga steel at this stage.
I am thinking leave the 10ga for the geese and PEI trips and dust off the almost new now 7 year old 12ga's for the local ducks. My guns I know are still OK in the 12's since at the time I bought a 3 1/2 browning gold with a 3 1/2 BPS as a back up and also have a 3 1/2 Win x2.
If you guys are reloading steel for 12ga what are your favorite loads and where are you buying your components.
My sister also lives in Lantz and tells me there is a real nice shop just down the road from her so perhaps I should just go up and buy factory loads for the 12ga.If so what make and size would work best for ducks in 3" and 3 1/2"
Your feedback is appreciated.
stick to the 10ga kicks a hole less then 3 1/2 12 ga and puts the same amount of steel on target at longer ranges

·
Registered
16,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
stick to the 10ga kicks a hole less then 3 1/2 12 ga and puts the same amount of steel on target at longer ranges
Man that post I made is 12 years old ?? and I have reloaded a ton of 3 1/2 12ga since and they work fine also. In fact have like maybe 8 of them now in shotguns and two 3 1/2 12ga loaders

1 - 17 of 17 Posts