Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
18,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Remember the conversations we had here about building what ever with no permits and some said they could not careless not like any one will know and the dumb capers said fill your boots but sure would not try that here since one will not get away with it. Seems the old cape is on top of the game vs the mainland in fact we even have CO's that don't exist :)

· Registered
18,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Camps are no different and fall under the same building codes now in Nova Scotia even have their own section added ask someone that can comprehend and understand the current laws for construction of pretty much anything in Nova Scotia rock dwelling is the only thing exempt:D:D

· Registered
18,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yep sure does because I don't talk to birds for information I talk to people and we were talking about more than just camps not that it makes any difference since the changes went into place

· Registered
18,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This member posted this 9 years ago and now with the building code changed to include camps no different that building anywhere woods rural town etc some of his post

I do a lot of permits and approval letters in SW (Digby, Yarmouth, Shelburne) Nova Scotia. Many municipalities require an onsite permit for issuing a building permt. A few will accept a letter with my engineers stamp me stating I have assessed the property and find it capable of supporting an onsite system.

This past summer I did five for camps which had been under "the radar". Seems the owners had forgotten to get a permit and found themselves with a yellow piece of paper stapled to their doors. IN most of SW Nova you need a permit once you get over 150 Sq. Ft.

As ar as I know the Crown NO LONGER leases property. A camper on Crown would likely not get you in trouble but anything not on wheels would likely get you a a request to remove it or we will remove it for you letter

· Registered
18,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am talking ALL land Don't care what it is and he is talking both in those comments engineers don't work on approval letters or permits for someone building on crown land since you can't
I flipped nothing once again YOU cannot comprehend what you read and I didnot start this topic to fight with anyone just wanted to share get a permit and build what ever or get caught and tear it down and this proves people get caught

· Registered
3,789 Posts
Big difference IMO, between building in the middle of town, or a glorified deer blind a km in the woods. I live outside of town about 5km, and we would never build anything on our property without the permits required. A km in the bush … and a small building to get out of the weather during deer season … I would certainly take my chances.

· Registered
18,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Big difference IMO, between building in the middle of town, or a glorified deer blind a km in the woods. I live outside of town about 5km, and we would never build anything on our property without the permits required. A km in the bush … and a small building to get out of the weather during deer season … I would certainly take my chances.
Not talking a deer blind either they would be exempt just do to their square footage unless on crown land then a no no were you two in the same school:D:D

· Registered
18,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Yep you were even in the same class:D:D no mention of small building ( unless I missed that) he said IN most of SW Nova you need a permit once you get over 150 Sq. Ft. one hell of a deer blind IMO
have to run been fun busy day today see ya

· Registered
18,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I remember my daughters friend who sells homes telling me her drone has taken nice pictures for her 7 kms off the road when selling what she calls wild land for customers
So where it is safe any more and where can one hide and the higher end ones which the province etc would use I bet are double that range

· Registered
240 Posts
I know some camps that were illegally built on crown land they simply burnt them down in the winter rather than dismantling.Its too bad we cant get leases anymore for camps a lot of people cant afford to buy a piece of land.

· Registered
3,789 Posts
It is my understanding that a permit is required to build anything regardless of square footage on a property that has no existing building on it already. Having said that ... I will still take my chances. It will be a wooden structure. No insulation ... a door and a window or two. ... and probably 2 bunks if someone would choose to spend the night. 12X16. Nothing too fancy. Like I said ... a glorified deer blind.

· Registered
419 Posts
To my knowledge it was 215 sq ft. That’s why around here you see everyone building or buying 12x16 sheds. No permit under 215 Sq ft as long as it isn’t a residence. They couldn’t prove you sleep in it every now and then. It’s a shed in the woods

· Registered
18,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It is my understanding that a permit is required to build anything regardless of square footage on a property that has no existing building on it already. Having said that ... I will still take my chances. It will be a wooden structure. No insulation ... a door and a window or two. ... and probably 2 bunks if someone would choose to spend the night. 12X16. Nothing too fancy. Like I said ... a glorified deer blind.
10x10 now here I think and 12x16 is no deer blind no idea on the no building on the property issue but makes perfect sense what you say

· Registered
3,789 Posts
When I was thinking about building a small camp, I wanted to keep it below the required square footage. The guy that I know quite well that deals with this stuff, said build it as big as you want to because it will need a permit because there is no existing structure on your property. A 5x5 shed will be just as illegal as a 16x20 structure. Just going by what he said

· Registered
18,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I know some camps that were illegally built on crown land they simply burnt them down in the winter rather than dismantling.Its too bad we cant get leases anymore for camps a lot of people cant afford to buy a piece of land.
Here they put notices on them the ones I knew of and then if not removed yep burned them down 100%

1 - 20 of 38 Posts