Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

· Registered
18,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
When I was thinking about building a small camp, I wanted to keep it below the required square footage. The guy that I know quite well that deals with this stuff, said build it as big as you want to because it will need a permit because there is no existing structure on your property. A 5x5 shed will be just as illegal as a 16x20 structure. Just going by what he said
Oh I would agree with you since I would have to look but at one time here nothing went on the land other than a home first and then the out buildings were allowed since too many building those barn style garages and then a few years later making them into homes not to any code

· Registered
2,973 Posts
Not sure what the sqft before permit required here
Years ago i added 8x8 to an existing structure (on the back end) after i had put in a french drain and a load of 4-6" stone leveled to keep it from sinking in the wet area. Once i had it built a guy from the county planning office arrived with a guy from department of environment, apparently i had interfered and altered a natural waterway.
I slipped my boots on and took them right up for the inspection. They hesitated due to the soggy conditions but i insisted and they followed with wet feet, i showed them i was 10ft from the standing water and my add on was 1" off the existing structure but yes the roof was attached.
Turned out i was fine but the sounds of heavy machinery sparked their interest, especially after i told them the neighbor was building a pond roadside. Turns out he didnt have a permit, $10000 fine. And 6 months later when the pond flooded and froze over the road, another fine plus costs to remediate the issue. He dont like me

· Registered
18,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
Funny you mention ponds
I had two small ones in the yard I made just for decoration and raise gold fish and koi
They were beautiful IMO and the small kids would come over daily in the area and I would give them food and they would feed the fish
No permits since no permits were required for a small garden pond
Yep someone called and next thing I know they were in the yard I had two choices buy a permit and fence in the pond like a pool since it was over 24 inches deep it was 28 or fill it in
So I filled both in This was one of them Yep sit in that chair with the mrs and some southern comfort and listen to the water fall in the evenings nothing like it for stress relief and Tim don't shoot that rabbit he is fiberglass:p

· Registered
5,363 Posts
It could get interesting with every ones taxes going up. I see a 25% increase for everyone here. People will complain now about there neighbors as every one can see what there paying, and who increased by what. It is why I did not gamble with my cabin. If your not chucking a lot of money then no permits is not much risk. They started here using drones to scan lands with cabins here that people bought and then appealed the taxes. One friend who bought 60 acres back in the woods complained about his new taxes. They surprised him by sending a drone up and informing him he was not paying taxes on two old run down out buildings left by the previous owners. 😀 They will be looking to suck money from everyone, everything

· Registered
18,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
It could get interesting with every ones taxes going up. I see a 25% increase for everyone here. People will complain now about there neighbors as every one can see what there paying, and who increased by what. It is why I did not gamble with my cabin. If your not chucking a lot of money then no permits is not much risk. They started here using drones to scan lands with cabins here that people bought and then appealed the taxes. One friend who bought 60 acres back in the woods complained about his new taxes. They surprised him by sending a drone up and informing him he was not paying taxes on two old run down out buildings left by the previous owners. 😀 They will be looking to suck money from everyone, everything
Agree they say average 21% for the province but I have no proof of that other than what I have read from people complaining It was a drone pic that got me into my permit battle 2 years ago saying I show 4 buildings I had no permit for which was BS and I had to Take them in to allow them to make copies guess the records are such here if your permits were before they got the new computer system not all show
Yep all of my permits are now in the safety deposit box with the will etc after that BS Just found the original letter with the pic which says and believe me they are taking pics of everyone from the air now I agree with you 100% IMO a person would be a fool to think they are going to hide anything today and don't care how far in the woods it is All this being said they were no problem at all to work with I think as long as one is willing to work with them and follow the requirements
I quote
The zone for this property is RUC (Residential Urban C). Under this zone, “agricultural” uses are permitted However our records shows a dwelling and two accessory buildings. Aerial photography from this year shows a dwelling and six accessory buildings.

· Registered
5,363 Posts
Agree they say average 21% for the province but I have no proof of that other than what I have read from people complaining It was a drone pic that got me into my permit battle 2 years ago saying I show 4 buildings I had no permit for which was BS and I had to Take them in to allow them to make copies guess the records are such here if your permits were before they got the new computer system not all show
Yep all of my permits are now in the safety deposit box with the will etc after that BS Just found the original letter with the pic which says and believe me they are taking pics of everyone from the air now I agree with you 100% IMO a person would be a fool to think they are going to hide anything today and don't care how far in the woods it is All this being said they were no problem at all to work with I think as long as one is willing to work with them and follow the requirements
I quote
The zone for this property is RUC (Residential Urban C). Under this zone, “agricultural” uses are permitted However our records shows a dwelling and two accessory buildings. Aerial photography from this year shows a dwelling and six accessory buildings.
You can go on view point and look at any ones property, there taxes, increases etc.

· Registered
5,363 Posts
Understand. Thank you Looking at mine is enough :( lately
Got a guy thats a millionare, he owns about 8 acres at the corner of our subdivision. Several large shops, for tractor trailer maintenance, farm machinery etc. I think he like has 8 buildings, house etc, also a corner lot. His taxes are less than the rest of us. Funny when one looks around you can find people with no increases or even decreases or hardly paying taxes at all. These increases are going to cause people to squeal.

· Registered
18,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
Got a guy thats a millionare, he owns about 8 acres at the corner of our subdivision. Several large shops, for tractor trailer maintenance, farm machinery etc. I think he like has 8 buildings, house etc, also a corner lot. His taxes are less than the rest of us. Funny when one looks around you can find people with no increases or even decreases or hardly paying taxes at all. These increases are going to cause people to squeal.
And there is what is boils down to who he knows in that higher end circle that these individuals hang in
I have the same on my street was a millionare at one time not sure if still is but not hurting that converted a garage into a house with no permit and then sold his house on the second lot
Everyone freaked and in the end where is he living in the converted garage never fined or anything you or I could not do that however
Money talks even more today than ever Just look at how much tax trump paid over the years :(

· Registered
240 Posts
Not sure what the sqft before permit required here
Years ago i added 8x8 to an existing structure (on the back end) after i had put in a french drain and a load of 4-6" stone leveled to keep it from sinking in the wet area. Once i had it built a guy from the county planning office arrived with a guy from department of environment, apparently i had interfered and altered a natural waterway.
I slipped my boots on and took them right up for the inspection. They hesitated due to the soggy conditions but i insisted and they followed with wet feet, i showed them i was 10ft from the standing water and my add on was 1" off the existing structure but yes the roof was attached.
Turned out i was fine but the sounds of heavy machinery sparked their interest, especially after i told them the neighbor was building a pond roadside. Turns out he didnt have a permit, $10000 fine. And 6 months later when the pond flooded and froze over the road, another fine plus costs to remediate the issue. He dont like me
LoL priceless

· Registered
1,153 Posts
I'd be tempted to remind the taxman about that if I were you. He ain't paying his fair share! Not kidding either.

No one wants to pay tax but we have to in order to run the country. So I have a problem with rich people paying accountants to weasel/cheat the system so they don't have to pay their share. At the same time, I don't support taxing high income earners to death either because that's not fair.

· Registered
18,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
I'd be tempted to remind the taxman about that if I were you. He ain't paying his fair share! Not kidding either.

No one wants to pay tax but we have to in order to run the country. So I have a problem with rich people paying accountants to weasel/cheat the system so they don't have to pay their share. At the same time, I don't support taxing high income earners to death either because that's not fair.
If anything like here the entire town watched this go on I would say about 8 years ago now so nothing the tax people don't know I bet it is the same where thunderstick is Funny part is the guy here was also into big machinery with a earth moving construction company which is son still operates
Yep considering he ran is own water and sewer lines to the garage and hooked up to town services him self they had to know here

· Registered
5,363 Posts

And that brings us back to building a hunting camp. Any one of your neighbors that squawk about there taxes compared to others may bring people or drones around. I think the best thing for a camp these days would be those tiny homes on a trailer frame.

· Registered
240 Posts
My father really enjoyed buying and fixing up used soft and hard top campers.One large hardtop(think it was 16') he converted the sides from vinyl to insulated walls that all folded up and locked into place when the roof was cranked up.Bunk beds propane fridge and stove and a table that folded into a double.Fairly lightweight we used it for duck hunting and sometimes just hanging out in the yard

21 - 38 of 38 Posts