Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi have a Remington 870 Wingmaster barrel and the prior owner had it painted green, I would like to safely remove the green paint so I can have it looking like the original blued gun metal look. Anyone know what I can use?. Thank you in advance for help replies.

Sidney
Dartmouth

· Registered
18,481 Posts
Are you sure it even has a blued finish under it. If it is I bet he sanded it beyond repair for the bluing to get the paint to stick. Most I have seen painted are the rough express or sps barrels with the bead blasted barrels If professionally done might have a powder coat finish also if so must use something with high methylene chloride which is scary stuff
stuff like this

· Administrator
11,004 Posts
Yup...either one of those two would get my vote as well Sid. Acetone should do the job nicely. The lacquer thinners will be likely even better than the acetone.
Sid...get yourself a package of those makeup remover pads. Any drug store / walmart will have them...real cheap and they're EXCELLENT for removing that kind of stuff or putting on liquid or paste cold bluing !!

· Registered
1,078 Posts
I bought a Cooey single shot .22 years ago that had been varnished with god knows god many coats. I scraped the entire rifle and then sanded it with progressively finer grit. Had to file out sime munir rust pitting on some if the metal. Reblued all the metal and refinished the stock. It looked brand new when finished. I swear those older guns had better steel in the barrels. I have reblued newer rifles with worse results.

· Registered
318 Posts
Maybe start with an alcohol soak before going to paint thinner and then acetone. Each of those us progressively harsh. Also be aware that they will eventually remove the oil from your gun so you'll have to really re-lubricate when you're done.
I have used steel wool and 2000 grit sandpaper to remove rust from two shotguns and then used cold blue to reblue them. They turned out nice. I also found that rust inhibiting grease takes well to the bluing and protects well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts