Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks. I have a 12g over/under that is threaded for non standard chokes. It’s a Huglu Ventus and the choke system is a “Ventus Mobile” which is unique to the gun (not the regular Mobil choke system…). I love the gun in all respects except the chokes have become deformed from shooting steel through them all duck season. (They are actually stuck, but I’m pretty sure I can get them out.) The barrel and chokes are meant to be rated for steel, and I’m sure the barrel is fine (made of 4140 steel) but the chokes apparently not as advertised. Since the choke system is unique to the gun I’m stuck with these factory chokes. I’d like to be able to use extended chokes proofed for steel like something from carlsons or Turlock or whatever. However, this would mean rethreading the end of the barrels to take a new choke system. Does anyone have experience with this kind of mod? Is there a gunsmith in Nova Scotia (I live in Dartmouth) that would be able to take on this kind of job? Thoughts or recommendations welcome! I’d much rather modify the chokes than either have to buy a new gun or shell out for some choke-friendly bismuth or tungsten loads….

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry if I wasn’t clear. The current threads are fine but only allow me to use the unique factory chokes, which are not good for steel loads. I’m wondering if I can rethread it to take a different choke system, one of the more common ones, so that I could use different chokes that are Ok for steel.

·
Administrator
10,924 Posts
Sean Kettley in Porters lake might be able to help you out. Top notch guy, knows his stuff. Look him up on FB...IRONWOOD OUTDOORS !

·
Administrator
10,924 Posts
Did you check to see ...does Briley make chokes for these guns ?

·
Registered
16,692 Posts
Sorry if I wasn’t clear. The current threads are fine but only allow me to use the unique factory chokes, which are not good for steel loads. I’m wondering if I can rethread it to take a different choke system, one of the more common ones, so that I could use different chokes that are Ok for steel.
That is not true
They should be the same threads as these. E -mail trulock to confirm

interchanges with Trulock’s Beretta/Benelli Mobil style.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Trust me I've been investigating this for months. Even purchased and had to return beretta/benelli Mobil chokes cause they don't fit. All Huglu shotguns use the beretta/benelli mobil choke system EXCEPT the Ventus models, which have a unique Ventus Mobil system. I didn't know when i bought it. Trust me i wouldn't be considering such an extreme mod if i could just buy different chokes that would fit the gun as it is currently.

·
Registered
16,692 Posts
Trust me I've been investigating this for months. Even purchased and had to return beretta/benelli Mobil chokes cause they don't fit. All Huglu shotguns use the beretta/benelli mobil choke system EXCEPT the Ventus models, which have a unique Ventus Mobil system. I didn't know when i bought it. Trust me i wouldn't be considering such an extreme mod if i could just buy different chokes that would fit the gun as it is currently.
New one on me . Ok do you know what the thread pitch is on this model or can have it measured
The gun is not worth the mod IMO
It is not cheap or easy to have a O/U properly fitted with tubes and the only ones I have ever had done went to briley to ensure they were done RIGHT
Then again it was not a huglu either
Cheers

·
Registered
16,692 Posts
Did you call Clay at Prophet River since they sold / sell this version
gets real interesting when Huglu says they are all mobile chokes and the same including the Ventus model unless the gun was not made for north americia and some how you got it. Where did you buy it

Something is not adding up here plus Ventus chokes were designed for steel shot so you should not have damaged them

The Huglu mobile choke designation follows the American and Continental system

Not even briley the master of all tubes mentions a different tube for a huglu. Did you ask them ?? They are excellent to get back
Any chance the tubes you tried were not b/b mobile version also used on huglu or the tubes damaged are not Huglu
just talking out loud here since you seem to have a one and only gun so far

The choke designation follows the American and Continental system, but as we invented choke (whatever the Americans might believe) I have no hesitation in

Huglu | 12 Gauge Choke Tubes | Briley

·
Registered
16,692 Posts
Just thinking about this and off the top of my head but seem to recall
You are aware there are three different mobile tubes (4 if ones goes way back to the collar style ) for the beretta Correct and the thread differs in the respective barrels and only one fits the huglu correctly

The three should be old original mobile and the Optima choke tubes and Optima Plus choke tubes
Which of the three did you buy?? and try and was the thread off or how it went into the barrel wrong

Just trying to help and save you wasting money

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Do these chokes resemble the b/b mobile choke ? . With mobiles you have tried is it the thread pitch that is wrong or thread location on choke . Franchi which also uses the mobile choke has two versions post and pre 1998 . If it were me I be determining thread pitch and talking to someone at briley . If there any chance of getting chokes I think it would be there . I can't see rethreading working has you would need to either rethread over the old threads or ream them out which would probably lead to barrel wall thickness issues .

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You can see in the images below what the chokes look like. They are only about an inch long, so the threads in the barrel are within the last inch of barrel length. In the photos you can also see how the b/b mobile chokes I had "fit" the barrel. They brought up against the lip inside the barrel about an inch back i.e. where the factory chokes would end. I've compared the design of these factory chokes to all the other systems I can find images for or samples in the local shops. None seem to be compatible in terms of the length of the choke (inside the barrel) and the relative position of the threads along the choke.

I have been in touch with Prophet River, that's where I bought the gun. It was through them post-purchase that we worked out together that the Huglu Ventus guns have a different system than the rest of the Huglu line (or CZ-USA shotguns for that matter since they are manufactured by Huglu) which all take b/b mobile chokes. Don't believe the information on the huglu website or the prophet river listings...the Ventus models use a different choke system (called "Ventus mobile") than the rest of the Huglu/CZ-USA 12ga line. I think the Ventus is a "one and only" gun as 3macs1 you suggest (there is precedent for this...the Huglu 20ga models use their own custom Hugly system....).

I don't know what the thread pitch is, that's a good question. I raised this with Trulock to no effect. Didn't speak with Briley. I didn't consider the idea of having custom chokes made...perhaps that could work. Seems pricey, but I guess so would rethreading the barrels. I should reach out to Briley and ask.

Attachments

·
Registered
16,692 Posts
This gets more interesting with every post
So you bought this gun new Correct?? 1" factory tubes have not seen before in any make however

OK IMO that is not a first series standard mobile you tried and I would not have expected it to fit
The old standard is way shorter and the last one on this pic . That if you look at how far the one you did try went into the barrel might have done just fine
Would love to see a pic of the barrel inside at the choke threads to see if cut out below threads
Have to go with the dog will be back
Why would one not believe the huglu or Prophet river site which says they all use the mobile system. I think I know what you have but need a bit more time to prove it

Not sure who you worked with at Prophet but Clay sure didnot seem to know this when I fully outlined it and is getting back to me. Bit of the e-mail below I will let you know what comes back

Thanks Clay

Let me know Clay when you get a chance

I have never heard of unique special choke tubes for the 12ga ventus series

Joe

Subject: Re: HUglu Ventus 12ga O/u

Got it. thanks!

·
Registered
16,692 Posts
Oh yes the 20ga is well known and documented by all including Briley saying the 12ga followed this not true
Also most US chokes are 32 tpi
These would be metric 1mm I think same as beretta

Huglu 12gaInterchanges withBeretta/Benelli style choke tubes
Huglu 20gaInterchanges withHuglu

·
Registered
16,692 Posts
Man they don t show your choke tube in any model PERIOD.unless cut off??? and honestly at that length useless or I just had a brain fart maybe snapped off the bottom clean and pieces still in there
I quote
(They are actually stuck, but I’m pretty sure I can get them out.) The barrel and chokes are meant to be rated for steel, and I’m sure the barrel is fine (made of 4140 steel) but the chokes apparently not as

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Can't say I have seen a screw in choke that short be for .certainly not standard mobile . From pics I guessing 1" total over all length .

·
Registered
16,692 Posts
Can't say I have seen a screw in choke that short be for .certainly not standard mobile . From pics I guessing 1" total over all length .
last thing I seen that short was on the outside holding in a old cutts:p Not a standard anything I have ever seen for a tube and not many makes I don't have samples of here My cz/huglu are 28ga tubes however but seen lots of 12ga over the years
Yes graybeard I hoard those too:D:D :p

1 - 20 of 49 Posts