Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I did buy the gun new. From Prophet River. The person I've been communicating with there, and who sold it to me, is Chris. He is apparently the Huglu person at prophet.

I'm attaching some more photos. You can see the choke set that comes with the gun. This is a photo of a 2nd set I bought from prophet, identical to the first, in case I wanted to have the same choke in each barrel. Two of the first set are currently in the gun. As you can see the chokes are pretty much 1" long. Side note, they don't have notches in the end and the wrench that comes with them has a cone shape and is intended to work by friction alone. Pain in the @$$ is an understatement. I also have some photos of the end of the barrel, though lighting is hard. There are chokes in there (stuck, see 1st post...) so you can't see the threads or anything else. If the choke was removed you would see a lip about an inch in, where the choke would end, and that is the lip that the longer b/b mobile chokes were bringing up against in the earlier photos.

I'm waiting on a Brownell choke removal tool I ordered which should allow me to get the current chokes out. I don't think they are very stuck it's just with the friction-based wrench there is no way... if I can get the chokes out them I am faced with the problem of (i) use the (undeformed) chokes from my 2nd set of chokes along with some softer ammo (e.g. bismuth, tungsten-matrix), (ii) change the choke system hence my first post though I am coming to the realisation this may not be a good idea, (iii) get some custom chokes made and/or figure out what system might fit this, (iv) buy a different gun for next season.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Also, I bought this gun back in May 2021. New. The entry on the listing and order is
Huglu - 12Ga/3"/28" - Ventus - O/U, Turkish Walnut/Black w/Bronze Decal Receiver, 5 LI VENTUS Mobile Shock Set, multi-choke, SKU# 8681715390567, s/n CA180001

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Just my opinion but any choke that short is going to have a very quick transition from bore diameter to choke constriction . causing it to a take beating from steel shot that has very little or no compressibility . one of reasons the newer chokes like beretta hp ,benelli crio ,browning invector + and invector ds are so long . is that these longer chokes have longer transition sections and longer parallel choke sections to lessen the stress on the choke .

·
GREYBEARD
3,221 Posts
last thing I seen that short was on the outside holding in a old cutts:p Not a standard anything I have ever seen for a tube and not many makes I don't have samples of here My cz/huglu are 28ga tubes however but seen lots of 12ga over the years
Yes graybeard I hoard those too:D:D :p
I figured that😀
I wish I had something to offer on the chokes, but you already have good help!

·
Registered
16,694 Posts
Ooops, forgot the photos of the end of the barrel, here they are.
Thanks
All I can say is sweet jesus now and cannot wait to see what clay says

Have only ever seen anything like this once in all my years around shotguns and tubes in a remington and I will share that story later

My friend there is no other choke in the world you are going to find to fit that other than buying them from Hulgo and that is even if they can supply them which I would bet the farm they can't either
My guess either they had a special order not to North american specs and these were fitted and somehow some got over here or two they had a brain fart and wanted to start making their own tubes and get away from buying the mobile beretta design and ran some guns like yours but have since went back to the original mobiles which would explain why they now show the mobiles on that model on the current web page

Regardless you have a one horse odd ball now. To fix cutting the barrels and refitting my guess would be 1000 bucks or at least it is with briley
or maybe just maybe the thread in your barrel is the 1mm and same as the old mobile
Then a good smith could just machine the seat back farther in the barrels and fit the old original short style mobile in your barrels with no extra threading or cutting off of the barrels
That is also assuming these little things are the same diameter
Too late to return to prophit river but not a huge expense to buy one of the old design short beretta mobiles and compare it thread and diameter and if it looks ok then I would send to a smith to see if he can machine to accept the longer choke

or just shoot it with what you have left for tubes and get another gun for steel hunting and make sure it takes a standard north american tube

Thought I seen it all but being a 2021 can understand why we have not

all the best

Cannot find anywhere that even mentions these but prophet river

·
Administrator
10,924 Posts
Looks like you opened a can of worms and out came lemons. Hope you can get some satisfaction out of it. Maybe....See what Clay will give you for a trade in on something else that's less problematic.

·
Registered
16,694 Posts
Looks like you opened a can of worms and out came lemons. Hope you can get some satisfaction out of it. Maybe....See what Clay will give you for a trade in on something else that's less problematic.
Issue I see Kevin is They are still selling some like this and real strange Clay didnot seem to know about this
He is in vegas at a shot show lucky bastard and said he will get back to me when he returns
Cheers

·
Registered
16,694 Posts
OK OP time to tell my nightmare rare choke story

Ok Graybeard another hoarding event :) I started to collect all the ducks unlimited shotguns I could find but only NIB unfired thinking like an idiot they would be worth a lot some day WRONG as I know now and ended up getting up to 13 of them now have just 5 of those left and they are dying with me

One of which was a real nice 1985 remington 1100 12ga upland model with a 25" barrel and real nice wood etc
It came with the plastic case but only one choke tube he lost the other two he said

Ok here is where it gets weird. There was no choke tubes fitted in any remington shot gun in 1985 and the rem choke didnot come until late 86
Plus this barrel had the original thin wall so even if they had a rem choke ready it could not be fitted
There was one modified something fitted which IMO I thought was a colonial thin wall until I took it out
Nope never seen anything like it in my life long with the strangest square threads
But it had brilley marked on it and some strange numbers

I contacted remington and they said nope never made such an animal so after maybe after 4 calls to briley they hooked me up with a guy that knew his tubes and god dam he knew what it was and gave me a quote for a special order which I still have and not cheap by any means but I did order a skeet and a full

Never seen a tube like it anywhere since
My gun is the twin of this one and here is the original e-mail and this is like 20 years ago and in US dollars very expensive oh yes this is one of the 5DU guns I still have :)
Take care

Subject: Re: briley here
You have given me just enough information to be dangerous!
All kidding aside, those numbers tell me all I need to know. I've been here almost 20 years, so this old guy knows a few things about the antiquated rare markings.
This is a custom order start at $185. each Still requires that you use a wrench to tighten them.
Let me know specifics for restriction, and we can post them up to you. Either email or call me with your cc # and we'll get them on there ways. And address of course.
Regards
Steve

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I "love" that you guys have taken days to come to and agree with the same conclusion I started with in the original post....that the Huglu Ventus have a unique choke system!!! Like I said, trust me I did my research on that....the prophet river and huglu website pages did before and do since show the same stats, that these guns have a mobile choke system but trust me they do not in reality.

It still seems feasible, if expensive, to look into modifying the barrel ends to accept a standard choke system. The current system only occupies 1" of the end of the barrel and some of the common choke systems out there seem to have threads deeper in than that, so there should be material available in the barrels to make threads past that 1" mark, provided they are thick enough.

3macs1 I'd appreciate if you are able to share your contact at prophet river (Clay)? You can PM me...

·
Registered
16,694 Posts
I "love" that you guys have taken days to come to and agree with the same conclusion I started with in the original post....that the Huglu Ventus have a unique choke system!!! Like I said, trust me I did my research on that....the prophet river and huglu website pages did before and do since show the same stats, that these guns have a mobile choke system but trust me they do not in reality.

It still seems feasible, if expensive, to look into modifying the barrel ends to accept a standard choke system. The current system only occupies 1" of the end of the barrel and some of the common choke systems out there seem to have threads deeper in than that, so there should be material available in the barrels to make threads past that 1" mark, provided they are thick enough.

3macs1 I'd appreciate if you are able to share your contact at prophet river (Clay)? You can PM me...
Well when one says something that has never been the norm with Huglu manufactured firearms (ALL of them ) up until maybe the last year and in one model and there is ZERO documentation any where what do you expect. You should love the fact that us guys even took the time to even respond let alone now goat us about your knowledge on this one type of shotgun and one type of choke
99.9% of the time when we see stuff like this it is not what is originally posted or the OP believes to be true
Did you not see them odd balls in the pic when you bought the gun they are shown???

If you think it is feasible to have a Huglu O/U redone for choke tubes ( I don't) you have never paid to have a set installed properly it is not like doing a pump or semi and very expensive and IMO it is not threads you need extended but an extension of the step and buying the short old mobile tube if all of that is even possible
In US dollars plus shipping both ways
I will post Clay's response since I think it will be interesting

·
Registered
16,694 Posts
Apologies for being ornery! I really do appreciate all your responses! Thanks...now to see what to do or what gun to replace this one with....
No problem Only trying to help and I have learned something on this one that I will never forget
NO response from clay yet but he just got back monday
maybe he will take it on trade?? since really nothing wrong with it other than non standard chokes which would not matter to most guys that don't use it for steel etc

·
GREYBEARD
3,221 Posts
OK OP time to tell my nightmare rare choke story

Ok Graybeard another hoarding event :) I started to collect all the ducks unlimited shotguns I could find but only NIB unfired thinking like an idiot they would be worth a lot some day WRONG as I know now and ended up getting up to 13 of them now have just 5 of those left and they are dying with me

One of which was a real nice 1985 remington 1100 12ga upland model with a 25" barrel and real nice wood etc
It came with the plastic case but only one choke tube he lost the other two he said

Ok here is where it gets weird. There was no choke tubes fitted in any remington shot gun in 1985 and the rem choke didnot come until late 86
Plus this barrel had the original thin wall so even if they had a rem choke ready it could not be fitted
There was one modified something fitted which IMO I thought was a colonial thin wall until I took it out
Nope never seen anything like it in my life long with the strangest square threads
But it had brilley marked on it and some strange numbers

I contacted remington and they said nope never made such an animal so after maybe after 4 calls to briley they hooked me up with a guy that knew his tubes and god dam he knew what it was and gave me a quote for a special order which I still have and not cheap by any means but I did order a skeet and a full

Never seen a tube like it anywhere since
My gun is the twin of this one and here is the original e-mail and this is like 20 years ago and in US dollars very expensive oh yes this is one of the 5DU guns I still have :)
Take care

Subject: Re: briley here
You have given me just enough information to be dangerous!
All kidding aside, those numbers tell me all I need to know. I've been here almost 20 years, so this old guy knows a few things about the antiquated rare markings.
This is a custom order start at $185. each Still requires that you use a wrench to tighten them.
Let me know specifics for restriction, and we can post them up to you. Either email or call me with your cc # and we'll get them on there ways. And address of course.
Regards
Steve

I am not surprised at all;) nice shotgun by the way!!

·
GREYBEARD
3,221 Posts
Nice, you don't see DU guns come up for sale very often, although I know someone who has or had one.

·
Registered
16,694 Posts
Nice, you don't see DU guns come up for sale very often, although I know someone who has or had one.
They were hard to find even in the early 80's when I started. And now I know just another gun unless you find a collector which is rare and you have never fired it and have all of the original box and paperwork like I said before I had 13 but now 5 and keeping them just because they look super nice and remingtons :)
A lot of mine came out of the old gun runner if you remember that paper

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Update on this for those interested. I managed to remove my chokes from the barrel. I used the choke removal tool from Brownell, only $20 and arrived in less than 2 weeks. Easy to use with a bit of planning and careful elbow grease. See the photo attached showing the Mod choke (in my fingers) that was in the gun and used all season compared with another choke that I've never used from the same set. You can clearly see some bulging in the used choke around the threads. My barrel and threads within it are fine though (whew!).

Briley will make custom extended chokes and all they need is a sample of a factory choke to get the design measurements from. So I will be going that route. Custom Chokes Chokes and Choke Accessories | Briley Will hopefully have the new, steel proof chokes in a few months.

Attachments

·
Administrator
10,924 Posts
WHY in Christ's name would a company go thru the BS of manufacturing something THAT frikken tiny...when the world is FULL of recycled metal ??

21 - 40 of 49 Posts