Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Update here for anyone interested. I sent my factory chokes out to Briley and they made up some custom chokes with a nice long taper and good for steel shot. Even though the originals were not in any standard system (Huglu Ventus choke system, so the thread spacing and depth, etc was custom) they were able to match what my gun needs. Real happy with the outcome. Not cheap and took a while (4 months total) but it's a solution. Now to pattern it...

Grille Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive exterior

Drinkware Drink Audio equipment Table Wood

Wood Musical instrument Musical instrument accessory Hardwood Wood stain

·
Registered
16,694 Posts
Thanks for sharing.. Briley is the best and you will have zero issues with their work. They are the only ones I will allow to touch my guns for tubes
Take care

·
Administrator
10,924 Posts
Thanks for the update ! Glad you got the issue resolved. Your huglu is now a more expensive gun, all tricked out in the Briley bling..the BEST IMHO. Now git out and CHOOT it !!

·
GREYBEARD
3,221 Posts
Your gun looks good with those tubes sticking out the muzzle, tell how it patterns when you have a chance.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
They look good . have you patterned any of them yet .

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I patterned the new chokes today. Method was using a 4' square sheet of brown paper hung on a wooden frame at 40 yards. I shot one load out of each choke (4) for each barrel (2) making for 8 patterns in total. I know this is a small sample size but this is really a pain in the butt to organise and execute not to mention time consuming... Later at home I located the centre of each pattern by eye and drew a 30" circle around it and counted the pellet hits within each circle. I cut open two shells and counted the total pellets, which for these loads (Kent Fasteel 3" #2 1-1/8 oz 1560 fps) was 146 and 147 pellets. Results are reported as % pellets out of 146 within the 30" circle as well as notes on pattern uniformity. For pattern uniformity, "holes" are reported in rough size where small = "teal size", medium = "wood duck size", large = "black duck size".

Briley Custom Chokes
Choke Top barrel Bottom barrel Notes
IC 57% 60% Some medium holes (both)
LM 65% 66% Some small holes (bottom); couple small holes, 1 med hole (top)
M 62% 67% Some medium (bottom)/small (top) holes
IM 75% 70% A few small holes (both)

Pellet count conversion:
60% = 88 pellets, 70% = 102 pellets, 80% = 117 pellets

Notes
- Patterns fairly uniform: no large holes, mostly small or medium holes
- Better consistency between barrels (compared to factory chokes)
- More consistent change going up/down choke steps (compared to factory chokes)

Note I patterned the same load with the factory chokes almost exactly one year ago with the same method and those results are here (it was this test that deformed the factory IM choke so much it could not be used in the bottom barrel):

Huglu Ventus Factory Chokes
Choke Top barrel Bottom barrel Notes
IIIII / C 60% 61% Med holes top; Med/big holes bottomg
IIII / IC 68% 82% Med holes top; Sm hols botm, not sure why bottom pattern so high
III / M 69% 74% Small/medium holes in both
II / IM 70% - Med/big holes in top; choke got deformed by steel shot..

Notes
  • But most patterns have unacceptable holes / not uniform, so need to try
  • Poor consistency across barrels and also across choke steps...

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Thanks for the update . the briley chokes are a certain improvement .

·
Registered
16,694 Posts
I suggest you also try other brands of ammo since results will vary big time with some
I reloaded all my steel since the 90's and could tweak my wad splits, speed etc to get rid of the holes but with factory you don't have that option other than to try different brands
The factory I did test always federal , followed by remington gave me the best patterns in my briley chokes but that was years ago
Cheers

41 - 49 of 49 Posts