Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what is everyone using to slay that bear/deer/moose this season?

Different rifles for different game?

For deer I will switch between the marlin .30/30 150 gr on nice days and the tikka stainless .30-06 150gr on crappy weather days.

Bear and Moose aren't on the menu this year.

·
Registered
720 Posts
For deer, I'll switch between a few different guns and it all depends on how I feel that day as to what I grab...

BAR 308 - 150gr Barnes VOR-TX;

TC Triumph Bone Collector - 250gr Barnes TEZ with a black crush rib sabot, CCI 209M primer, 110gr/vol BH209; and

Winchester 3030 - 150gr power points

Of the 3, the old Winchester gets used the least. (Made in 1928)

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Browning left hand A bolt medallion with the BOSS in 30-06 for fair weather hunting … and Browning left hand A bolt stainless/ composite with the BOSS in 30-06 for crappy weather. … and my T/C Pro Hunter FX for muzzy season.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice to see others take out a different variety of guns

·
Administrator
9,924 Posts
I'm hoping to cristen my new Shaw Custom in 6.5x55 this year. Handloaded 120 gr ballistic tips or the new GMX 123 grainers. Mannnnn I love that caliber !!
My trusty Tikka 6.5x55 took the last 4 I got. Then again, I Got my Browning Stainless Stalkers for back up...243, 308, 300WSM / Boss, Savage 270..."the list goes on and on and on"...lol

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I had to google “Shaw Custom” rifles. Build your own. After it is built. … how to you get it to Canada ?? Go through a broker ?? I like the idea … and I might be interested in doing this down the road.

·
Administrator
9,924 Posts
Already built and here...lol...I got it from Ross a couple months ago.

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
In the mornings i usually carry one of my 94’s;pre 64 30:30-170gr silver tip,;Dads old 32 spl Early 1900’s with 170gr plastic tips or my 375 big bore. But sometimes my remi-semi 742. Most afternoons it’s my Browning X bolt 30:06. Need the scope in the evenings!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Picked up a Interarms Mark X 7x57 this spring so hoping to get a deer with that this year. First rifle I've had with double triggers and man once its set... A REAL HAIR TRIGGER!!
Not going for moose or bear - might try for bear if there is one hanging around but not actively going to seek them out.
Trying to get into reloading for the 7x57 but life keeps getting in the way of that, no rush though.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Ive got my muzzy for early season, 2 triple 7 pellets, 240gr soft cast swc .44 cal.
For regular season i can choose my nef 3006, nef 243, or nef .44. Im collecting barrels in case you didnt guess, im at 9 barrels now.

·
GREYBEARD
2,875 Posts
Comes down to the two favorites for me for Deer, usually Browning A Bolt 270 or Remington 7600 30-06.
Hoping to get my Winchester 94 30-30 out at some point as well.
Looking forward to hunting some Coyotes with my 204 Ruger as well, now that I have everything I need to reload it.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I have two M1917s. One sporterized with open sights and a 2x7 x33mm L vx11 using 180 grain 3006. The other has typical stock with battle field sights using 150 grain 3006. The 1st is all ready to go, the 2nd still needs some range time as the last time I hunted with this rifle I was sixteen. That’s almost a half century ago. Time stops for know man!🧐🌞🌙🌞

·
Administrator
9,924 Posts
I'm always looking at what's new...checking out the SHOT SHOW unveilings every year. Been eyeballin this one. Pretty kool UG to the Axis line up !
For now, it's on my wants list, which is below my needs list which both are also wayyyyy below her common sense and OK Dear list...lol.
Love to try one out. Especially the 7 twist 223 !
Always been a Savage fan...don't have one bad word to say about them. Never seen one that couldn't shoot...know a chit ton of guys with them who'll say the same thing. Stellar customer service (sometimes a second email needs to be sent) , but always a great resolution !!

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm always looking at what's new...checking out the SHOT SHOW unveilings every year. Been eyeballin this one. Pretty kool UG to the Axis line up !
For now, it's on my wants list, which is below my needs list which both are also wayyyyy below her common sense and OK Dear list...lol.
Love to try one out. Especially the 7 twist 223 !
Always been a Savage fan...don't have one bad word to say about them. Never seen one that couldn't shoot...know a chit ton of guys with them who'll say the same thing. Stellar customer service (sometimes a second email needs to be sent) , but always a great resolution !!

I wonder if the older Savage rifles with the old Chief Logo on them will have any collector value in the future?

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
I try to rotate my rifles every yr , my dad's 30-30 go every yr no matter the weather, it was his way only ever hunted with 30-30 and tagged out yearly .
this yr is my new,.308 BLR Lightweight to be my go to ,
But my back up will be my 6.5 x 55 Zastava , damm smooth rifle and very accurate ,
I'll take the .307 , 30-06 , and possibly few others that get out once a yr or every second yr , scaled down on rifles lmao but added on the shotgun side . Might even bust out the Browning BPS with rifled barrel

·
Registered
647 Posts
This season for me win 94 3030 and on dirty days the stevens 200 in homeloaded 243 i really like the 94 with the iron sites..

·
Administrator
9,924 Posts
BH...most likely have to sand them off so it won't offend anyone ! 😑😑😑

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Not to get too far off topic … but speaking of Savage logo’s … I’m looking for a vintage leather rifle sling with the word “Savage” on it and also the “Indian head”. If anyone has one laying around … I would gladly buy it from you.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts