·
Gone Fishing!
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rogue shooter targets cormorants in Saint John

Police investigating residents' complaints

CBC News

Posted: Jun 12, 2012 11:25 AM AT

Saint John police are investigating complaints of a rogue shooter in the city's north end who appears to be targeting cormorants.
But even if the shooter is making too much noise and violating municipal bylaws, police say there may be little they can do if he has the proper provincial licence.
Homeowners in Milldgeville say they've been hearing shotgun fire along the scenic St. John River at all hours of the day.

"It sounds like somebody skeet shooting - like pulling back and, 'Pewh! Pewh!'," said Judy Eatmon, imitating the sound.
"But it's a really harsh report."
Last weekend, Eatmon says she and her neighbours endured gunshots from 7 a.m. until 7 p.m.
"It just startles you awake. And if you're walking around like my neighbour, putting out her laundry, it just startles you," she said.
Workers at the nearby sewage plant believe it's a long-time hunter, who returns every year to shoot cormorants out of the sky.

"I've seen him sitting over there shooting," said Scott Mason, a city worker.
"He shoots right across directly from that beach. The rocks right in front of the beach to the right side," said Mason.
"He just stands along there and shoots, the boat parked in there in the morning."
Jeff Melanson, a long-time resident, recently discovered the beach Mason mentioned, which is littered with shotgun shells. He stumbled across hundreds of the shells while he was out for a hike.
"I guess my first reaction was - why are they here? And you know, they seem to be going off quite close to the neighbourhood just across the river here," Melanson said.
Department of Natural Resources officials say cormorants are classified as varmints and can be legally hunted in New Brunswick between March 1 and Sept. 20.
There is no limit to the number of cormorants someone can kill.

Read the article here.........

·
So much anger towards everything... :-(
1,568 Posts
With the exception of leaving his shells lying around when he's done, he / she hasn't done anything wrong from what I can see...?

"Rouge"????

Rob

·
Registered
96 Posts
With the exception of leaving his shells lying around when he's done, he / she hasn't done anything wrong from what I can see...?

"Rouge"????

agree with joyrider. I can't see what the issue is here. they make a real mess and are considered a pest.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Other than being a litter-bug, there is nothing wrong with what he is doing. The media can spin just about anything they want.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Sooo, cormorants are protected here in Nova Scotia....but considered varmints in New Brunswick....hmmm...another good reason to live in New Brunswick.

·
1,568 Posts
There's something we should bring forth for a rule change, put Cormorants into the same season / bag limit as coyotes. (unlimited at any time!) :)

·
1,568 Posts
Ha ha ha! I just went to see if there was a comment section on the article and it's been changed! They must have gotten a lot of complaints, the whole "rogue" angle is gone. Click on the link in the first post above and check it out. :)

Rob

·
Gone Fishing!
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gotta love the CBC!

Still a little "rogue" in the video caption just under the big picture........

·
Registered
58 Posts
This is something that should happen here,they could use a bit of a thining out plus would be a great way to keep the duck dog in great shape

1 - 13 of 13 Posts