Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 132 Posts

· Registered
416 Posts

· Registered
146 Posts
couple of years ago I was looking to purchase a used firearm, I didn't know the guy who was selling it and the price seemed pretty good, like really good so I thought I'd better check and see if it had been reporting stolen before I purchased it, I got the serial number and called the RCMP, they told me they couldn't tell me whether it had been reported stolen or not, they weren't permitted to put the serial number into their data base just to check it cause if they did it for one person they would be spending all day checking serial numbers for people. The told me to call the firearms center. I called the firearms center and they told me they couldn't give me any information about a firearm unless I was registering it, I told them the situation, that I was looking to purchase it and they told me that due to privacy regulations they couldn't tell me whether it was stolen or not. So I said, you mean to tell me the only way I can find out if its stolen is to buy it and then when I register it you'll tell me then? Yes was the reply, which seemed absolutely the most ridiculous thing I'd ever heard. Any way, I didn't buy the gun cause it didn't feel right but I wish I had this link back then...

· Administrator
11,004 Posts
How assinine is that Daveyn !!

MODS....this should be a "sticky" under the firearms or legalese headers !

Thanks Sidney !

· Registered
856 Posts
I'll cop to the paranoid plea but I wonder how much of that info transfer would be captured or retained in some type of file?

· Registered
18,481 Posts
I will give my 2 cents on this which is really worth nothing :).

No seller that I know will give you a serial number off a firearm they are selling with respect to long guns nor do buyers ask for it so what value is this site

Restricted are covered still with the transfer process so any issues are flagged then

So you already own a new long gun you just bought used ,try the site which some say was updated maybe 4 years ago and bang your new gun shows it was used in a crime or stolen

Then what you contact police and hand it in with zero compensation because that is what is expected

Who uses this site then??? Help me with this one Sidney?? if I am missing something here and I could be let me know please

I only remember one savage 99 falling onto this list maybe one Nomad may have bought at one time but could be wrong and that was during the complete registry days if I recall

I see no value SORRY and if wrong it will be my 4th time today :( and it is only early

Cheers

· Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will give my 2 cents on this which is really worth nothing :).

No seller that I know will give you a serial number off a firearm they are selling with respect to long guns nor do buyers ask for it so what value is this site

Restricted are covered still with the transfer process so any issues are flagged then

So you already own a new long gun you just bought used ,try the site which I think was updated maybe 4 years ago and bang your new gun shows it was used in a crime or stolen

Then what you contact police and hand it in with zero compensation because that is what is expected

Who uses this site then??? Help me with this one Sidney?? if I am missing something here and I could be

I only remember one savage 99 falling onto this list maybe one Nomad may have bought at one time but could be wrong and that was during the complete registry days if I recall

I see no value SORRY and if wrong it will be my 4th time today :(

Cheers
Let's say I go to someone's house and tell seller I want to check date code on barrel of gun on my cell phone (Googling) while I am at it I also visit that website and check serial # without telling seller (I am allowed) as I don't want problems buying something that is flagged.

· Registered
662 Posts

So you already own a new long gun you just bought used ,try the site which I think was updated maybe 4 years ago and bang your new gun shows it was used in a crime or stolen

Who uses this site then??? Help me with this one Sidney?? if I am missing something here and I could be
A seller unwilling to offer the serial number results the end of a deal and probably a call to the authorities. Why would someone withhold this information?

You're right, it would be unfortunate to buy a firearm only to find out you will be relieved of it. That is a great reason to run the SN in CPIC prior to buying it.

It's free and takes less than a minute. I use it every time I purchase a used firearm.

· Registered
18,481 Posts
A seller unwilling to offer the serial number results the end of a deal and probably a call to the authorities. Why would someone withhold this information?

You're right, it would be unfortunate to buy a firearm only to find out you will be relieved of it. That is a great reason to run the SN in CPIC prior to buying it.

It's free and takes less than a minute. I use it every time I purchase a used firearm.
You don't buy or sell many used guns do you. I have never offered a serial number on a long gun nor was I ever asked for one and I am talking 100's here. Only under the gun registry did we offer that information

So it is the end of a deal, there will be 1/2 a dozen pm's right behind yours that will take it

You guys want THE LONG GUN REGISTRY BACK which was no different than this

Cheers

· Registered
18,481 Posts
Let's say I go to someone's house and tell seller I want to check date code on barrel of gun on my cell phone (Googling) while I am at it I also visit that website and check serial # without telling seller (I am allowed) as I don't want problems buying something that is flagged.
Ok face to face I can see your case but most transactions are on line now at least for me at about 99%

If you call Ross at the gun dealer does he give you the serial number

Cheers

· Registered
18,481 Posts
By your logic, used car dealers shouldn't reveal the VIN of a vehicle they are selling, either.

It's pretty easy to provide this information.
Has nothing to do with logic or cars has to do with what happens in real life transactions of long guns plus it is not a requirement

Cheers

This is all I have to do nothing more

• In the case of a firearm not requiring registration, or transfer (typically non-restricted) the seller still has a legal obligation to ensure that the person they are selling the firearm to is properly licensed.

· Registered
662 Posts
Does Ross provide pictures or a description of the gun? How much extra work is it to provide the SN for a buyer? Why would I even do business with someone who is unwilling to take 20 seconds out of their day to give me that info?

Edit:

Ross has a reputation of being an a**hole, so his unwillingness to satisfy a customer might have nothing to do with the serial number.

· Registered
18,481 Posts
Does Ross provide pictures or a description of the gun? How much extra work is it to provide the SN for a buyer? Why would I even do business with someone who is unwilling to take 20 seconds out of their day to give me that info?

Edit:

Ross has a reputation of being an a**hole, so his unwillingness to satisfy a customer might have nothing to do with the serial number.
I don't know about that. I have probably bought 25 guns from Ross over the years and never a complaint from me. In fact under Clay at prophet river he is my second stop when buying a gun

Cheers.

1 - 20 of 132 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.