Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
81 - 100 of 132 Posts

· Registered
5,079 Posts
Well I will weight in on the gun dealer .I have bought quite a few guns and accesories from Ross and always was treated fairly .that is until last summer when I did a deal for a new 725 20 ga field . I was tradeing 3 guns to get one . We met up a local sporting clay shoot .as he was looking over the guns I had to trade . I pointed out that the citori o/u I was tradeing in , in the group of 3 had a stock repair . Right away he offered $200 less than I want for the gun . I pointed out that the repair was solid and gun was well worth my $1000 trade value .I got a song and dance that he would be lucky to sell it for the $800 he was offering .well I took him on his word and followed through with the deal .I will also note here that two of the 3 guns where traded with multiple extra chokes .with a value of $100 to $200 per gun . Well imagagine my surprise when the citori I traded in gained $500 in value between the trade on Saturday and being listed on the used gun list on monday morning . Needless to say I was pissed .well I called and was not able to speak with him .after telling Kevin what had take place with the pricing .Kevins advice was call back a second time and leave a message with my number to be contacted by him .well I didn't get a call back that day . How ever Kevin ended up that he needed call Ross on other matter the next day . He also suggested to Ross that he maybe should give me a call as I was not happy with what had taken place. Well later that day I get a call from Ross. Well right away I get another song and dance how they had a used citori stock and the gun would be sold with the used stock . Which I knew was bs. I then pointed out the used citori stock they had listed was actually for a cynergy . at this point I also pointed out that gun was now tagged sold . the story then changed that the buyer was given a reduced of price of xxxx.I pointed out that was still a lot more than what he allow me for trade . The song and dance then changed how he wasn't making any money on the deal and how it was going to be difficult for him to continue to sponsor shoots and travel with his trailer to the sporting clay shoots . When he realized I wasn't going to let the issue die he gave in and asked what he had to do to fix the sitituation .I requested the difference between my trade value and his ($200 ). Now the second surprize is the next shoot night at the club .a fellow club member is shooting the the very citori I traded . After haveing a chance to talk with the him on a different night I learn he paided full asking price as list on the site and was not offered a replacement used stock . The only other thing I will say its going to be a while before Ross gets any more of my money . Cus that sour taste in my mouth still lingers .
I equate dealings such as this as being like putting your hand by a wasp nest. Once you get stung once, your not in too much of a hurry to stick your hand there again.

· Registered
2,487 Posts
I equate dealings such as this as being like putting your hand by a wasp nest. Once you get stung once, your not in too much of a hurry to stick your hand there again.
LOL yeah . perhaps He thinks I resemble a mushroom :ph34r: cause he feed me a pile of BS twice .

· Registered
3,677 Posts
I have bought several guns from the gun dealer. Excellent to deal with. No complaints .... yet. Everything on line. Never met the man, nor have I ever set foot in his store. I’m like most.... treat me well and I’ll come back. Screw me over.... see ya !!!

· Registered
18,481 Posts
A lot has to do with what you collect also. Since 99% of what I buy is vintage most times you cannot find anywhere else so I say see ya to just about no one other than the canadian firearms site

If one is buying new then sure one can move on

My last comment with dealing with the guys in NB if not face to face is NEVER go by their idea of condition

Mint to them is at best very good etc

I always ask them to get the gun in their hands and ask more questions and ask for more pics if I suspect something

I got screwed by epps IMO years ago like Rembolt did on a 5 gun trade which I mailed up and once they are there too expensive to send back and he changed the original agreement

I have bought quite a few from them after but they know still about that 15year old deal now which I was not happy about which i think over the years I got my money back and more from it from breaks on other purchases

Cheers

· Registered
3,995 Posts
I might be way off.....but once I sell something for what I consider fair, or else I wouldnt have sold it for that price......I cease to have any ownership or say in that gun or whatever it is. If someone wants to re sell it....fair enough.

Now as a business ... always doing that...well that might come back to bite ya.

I like honest guys...here'a a a story. true too. I had maybe had maybe half a dozen /eight guns i wanted to get rid of. Nothing great. Nothing junk or ruined tho.

I asked Kevin here on the site for some info and pricing. He came back to me a few days later with some examples of what they were selling for.

about what I thought more or less....some would sell quick.....some not so much unless I gave them away.

A day later Kevin says to me.....I'll buy them all at once from ya.....but i have to tell ya....I'm gonna wheel and deal some or all of them. To be honest...some will go fast....some will be a little tougher, but if I wait long enough I can find someone I'm sure. And I'll offer you xxx.xx for the lot.

As much as I like Kev lol....I did some due diligence lol...and he was right on ( never doubted it really)

So he bought the lot.....but I respected his honesty and he gave me some good info on prices when I was going to sell them.....so he had put some time in. I appreciated that......so I sold them to him for slightly less than what he offered lol.......

I could care less if he doubled his money ( which I doubt) and for me, it was a one stop sale...cash in the pocket...and maybe a few lobster.....

Anyways...if I sell to gun dealer or trader....I fully expect them to make some money.....

I have no idea what the point of this is....other than to say Kev was up front, did some pro bono research on my behalf, and ultimately got some old guns to play with. I was happy with the deal. I think (and hope) he was.

· Registered
4,040 Posts
For me I doesn't matter who it is , if your running a business , yes you're going to deal with a few Butt wads, But as old saying goes Customer is always right ( not always Tru) some will say anything to get a deal cause thier cheap or in the business to flip what it is they are buying themselves. Now saying this as a Business person owning and running a established business , just cause last customer was being a Tool doesn't mean next one is the same , so don't treat everyone with same Brush or after a while your brush will be dry and your business will be Bust . With me you only get one chance to Sour My taste to do business , once that happens I'll move on to someone who can treat me with same respect as I give them .

· Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
If you don't like the deal you're offered or feel your not treated properly walk.
Then where else are you supposed to sell your gun locally?. Bargain Hunter Press, The Buy & Sell Magazine and Maritime Merchant are gone. Kijiji, Craigslist, Facebook and Letgo do not allow firearm sales. All of the local discussion sites have disappeared but maybe two. This site:

http://nsshooting.ca/non-restricted

has the same Barney River, Pictou spammer that takes up 1/3rd of the ads with his listings that he keeps reposting over and over. He was kicked out of Facebook (when guns were allowed) and kicked out of here. So there really is no place locally to sell guns.

· Registered
18,481 Posts
Then where else are you supposed to sell your gun locally?. Bargain Hunter Press, The Buy & Sell Magazine and Maritime Merchant are gone. Kijiji, Craigslist, Facebook and Letgo do not allow firearm sales. All of the local discussion sites have disappeared but maybe two. This site:

has the same Barney River, Pictou spammer that takes up 1/3rd of the ads with his listings that he keeps reposting over and over. He was kicked out of Facebook (when guns were allowed) and kicked out of here. So there really is no place locally to sell guns.
Excellent question. Other than here in the classified which is very limited exposure IMO. I don't know of anywhere

The bargain hunter is gone now also on the main land??? Too bad

Cheers

· Registered
4,040 Posts

The Barney's river / pick up in Pictou county only guy is still here , just new profile , take a look I can find a few of his ads here.
There is other sites for selling and buying as well , Google is your friend

· Registered
416 Posts
Excellent question. Other than here in the classified which is very limited exposure IMO. I don't know of anywhere

The bargain hunter is gone now also on the main land??? Too bad

Cheers
Yes, it was:

www.bargainhunterpress.com

Also I was planning to buy two different shotguns (one from one Canadiangunntuz member and one from another seller on there) and they both provided lots of pictures in their for sale ads but they purposely neglected to provide pictures in the area where the shells are inserted. So when I was communicating with them back and forth by PM (private message) the replies were quick and detail and I asked about pictures of the area in question they took a day or two to reply, once I got the pictures I see the OBVIOUS heavy wear, then they asked if I still wanted the gun.

Another example a guy responded to my wanted ad for a Wingmaster barrel and provided pics but neglected to tell me about all the scratches and wear until I questioned certain areas of the barrel have closer pictures taken and e-mailed to me. Then asked if I still wanted the barrel. Note: all these sellers are back yard dealers, yet what shocks me is they have high feedback score or whatever CGN calls it. Another had a barrel in excellent shape but wanted $290 yet Elwwod Elps (sponsor of CGN sells them new for $275).

I made a mistake 3 weeks ago and purchased 30" fixed full choke (I wanted 26-28" and modified or improved but got tired of looking) vented rib barrel for my 12 gauge Remington 870 Wingmaster thinking it was in excellent shape (his ad stated so as well as PM, e-mails and over the phone) for $150 when it arrived it had heavy wear on left side near choke and a long scratch covered over with epoxy or car paint clear coat. Yet I gave the seller feedback as soon as the EMT arrived. I learned my lesson to never buy anything online anymore, this was my first time for a used item and will be the last and specially from CGN website, too many shady dealers on there.

So if I find another vented rib barrel LOCALLY in excellent shape then I will sell this one.

The Barney's river / pick up in Pictou county only guy is still here , just new profile , take a look I can find a few of his ads here.
There is other sites for selling and buying as well , Google is your friend
Why is the Barney's River/Pictou spammer allowed back?, I mean doesn't he realize by now (about 4 years later) that his prices are as much as new and spamming is bad?. Also he should pay money to sponsor this site or any other one just like everyone else did (example: Young Guns, etc).

I Googled many times in the past and only found these local sites but they are now dead:

biggameadventures.myfreeforum.org/index.php
www.tapatalk.com/groups/biggameadventures/index.php
oldducker.proboards.com

www.nsrifle.org/sendads.htm

· Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Also when you place a wanted or for sale ad in the various local public community cork/tack bulletin boards found in business, malls, public places, etc you seem to get these phone calls during business hours from "private name/no" on my caller ID and they keep saying "I understand you have a bunch of guns for sale" and when you reply with "NO I DO NOT" they keep harrassing you, this is harrasment, ENTRAPMENT, CORRUPTION and waste of our tax Dollars and resources. I never see them pestering organized crime and other criminals maybe because they can afford good lawyers and know the laws as well where as us they can just push us around. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

· Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
Canadian Access to Firearms a monthly newspaper for buying and selling guns 1-867-668-5609.

Not sure but the Hfx Herald Probablly still has classified ads.
I assume it's not free and I assume you must buy the newspaper to place an ad in the classifieds as well that is not local. The HFX Herald's classified is dead and you have to pay money to advertise and who reads the newspapers anymore?.

· Registered
18,481 Posts
Canadian Access to Firearms a monthly newspaper for buying and selling guns 1-867-668-5609.

Not sure but the Hfx Herald Probablly still has classified ads.
Wow there is one I am shocked is still going. The old gun runner. I stopped getting it when I joined nutz and it was like 45 bucks a year then and most of the listings were the same as what the shops ran on their sites

Cheers

· Registered
18,481 Posts
Yes, it was:

www.bargainhunterpress.com

Also I was planning to buy two different shotguns (one from one Canadiangunntuz member and one from another seller on there) and they both provided lots of pictures in their for sale ads but they purposely neglected to provide pictures in the area where the shells are inserted. So when I was communicating with them back and forth by PM (private message) the replies were quick and detail and I asked about pictures of the area in question they took a day or two to reply, once I got the pictures I see the OBVIOUS heavy wear, then they asked if I still wanted the gun.

Another example a guy responded to my wanted ad for a Wingmaster barrel and provided pics but neglected to tell me about all the scratches and wear until I questioned certain areas of the barrel have closer pictures taken and e-mailed to me. Then asked if I still wanted the barrel. Note: all these sellers are back yard dealers, yet what shocks me is they have high feedback score or whatever CGN calls it. Another had a barrel in excellent shape but wanted $290 yet Elwwod Elps (sponsor of CGN sells them new for $275).

I made a mistake 3 weeks ago and purchased 30" fixed full choke (I wanted 26-28" and modified or improved but got tired of looking) vented rib barrel for my 12 gauge Remington 870 Wingmaster thinking it was in excellent shape (his ad stated so as well as PM, e-mails and over the phone) for $150 when it arrived it had heavy wear on left side near choke and a long scratch covered over with epoxy or car paint clear coat. Yet I gave the seller feedback as soon as the EMT arrived. I learned my lesson to never buy anything online anymore, this was my first time for a used item and will be the last and specially from CGN website, too many shady dealers on there.

So if I find another vented rib barrel LOCALLY in excellent shape then I will sell this one.

Why is the Barney's River/Pictou spammer allowed back?, I mean doesn't he realize by now (about 4 years later) that his prices are as much as new and spamming is bad?. Also he should pay money to sponsor this site or any other one just like everyone else did (example: Young Guns, etc).

I Googled many times in the past and only found these local sites but they are now dead:

biggameadventures.myfreeforum.org/index.php
www.tapatalk.com/groups/biggameadventures/index.php
oldducker.proboards.com

www.nsrifle.org/sendads.htm
Not true IMO. I am sorry you has a bad deal and as I have said many times on here it is all about you getting on the same page since my version of mint may not be even be close to yours.

150 bucks for a VR min 35 year old wingmaster barrel I would expect some marks

But hey internet buying it not for everyone for sure nor is buying used but the way we are going I would say someday all of our buying will be on line

Cheers

· Registered
4,040 Posts
Not true IMO. I am sorry you has a bad deal and as I have said many times on here it is all about you getting on the same page since my version of mint may not be even be close to yours.
150 bucks for a VR min 35 year old wingmaster barrel I would expect some marks
But hey internet buying it not for everyone for sure nor is buying used but the way we are going I would say someday all of our buying will be on line
Cheers
I quite agree some day all purchases will be online , I would say now 60% or more of our purchases here at home are online , lots of factors , prices , availability, selection , free shipping , etc,

As for any gun over even 5 years old , unless it's been a safe Queen as they do exist as we all know , if it's used it's going have normal wear and Tear , one cannot expect mint or excellent shape in any form unless you do get legit pics of actual product your buying , one thing I've learned is there are lots of back yard flippers , buy low sell high , unless it's been in storage or in hands of a collector who rarely uses it your getting a regularly used Gun.lots of guys buy something use once and it never sees light of day till it's sold .

As for the Pictou County pick up only guy , just look first 3 ads on here are his on classifieds, He's on various sites doing same reposting to put his at top. He's even on sites out west and says same thing pick up only , LIKE WTF , plus over priced on single shots at $225 -250 . No wonder most buy new today , when guys want almost or at retail for USED GUNS , Savage axis selling for $500 , I can go online right now and buy one for $419 plus tax and free delivery. It does exist those prices we see it and know it . Plus research for gun dealers in Canada , some have left over stock that need gone and sell below regular retail to clear it out . Lots of not so know outdoor shops with great web sites and excellent prices

· Registered
5,316 Posts
I really don't know what people expect anymore. I think some have to get there head out of there at$# or sand. People complain that this web site is gone, or this paper is gone, yet when we get a listing of guns on this website folks complain of its the same guy, or to many listings, or the prices are to high, or there add is not on the first page, or someone is running a business etc. What do you want. I thought this site had a policy that one could not bash business's, but its been going on all week? This is what killed the bargain hunter, people whining about prices. I get calls, actually three in the last three weeks from people looking to get pre 64 Winchesters in good shape for $200. I wish I knew where these are, I would have them all. I had the good fortune to pic up an older Marlin 30-30 at a yard sale, really excellent shape. Got it and the case with ammo for $300. Had a guy enquire about buying it, told him he could have it for the $300 I paid for it, he offered me $200, holy #uck. As far as the guy in Pictou I have bought from him. Drove all the way down there, bought a rifle that was as mint as any I have found, give me a great deal. Yes I had to pay my gas for a four hour drive, no he would not drive it to my door. Every gun I have sold some idiot wants it for nothing and to be shipped free or delivered for free. Some people are ruining sites with the whining, driving folks away. I am trying to actually stay away but this stuff erks me. Bea just mentioned in a forum that he sold a group of guns to Kevin, so Kevin could then resell them and make a few bucks. I have seen Kevin list rifles and others why is that ok? Some people list GD cars. Just an example, so don't get bent out of shape. I like the classifieds, the more the better, and I don't look at just the first page. I look at them all. As was said there are few places left with any classifieds. People need to step back and look at the double standard that occurs here daily. Keep it up and the only ones left posting will be the same hand full, and that is starting to get boring!

· Registered
3,995 Posts
I really don't know what people expect anymore. I think some have to get there head out of there at$# or sand. People complain that this web site is gone, or this paper is gone, yet when we get a listing of guns on this website folks complain of its the same guy, or to many listings, or the prices are to high, or there add is not on the first page, or someone is running a business etc. What do you want. I thought this site had a policy that one could not bash business's, but its been going on all week? This is what killed the bargain hunter, people whining about prices. I get calls, actually three in the last three weeks from people looking to get pre 64 Winchesters in good shape for $200. I wish I knew where these are, I would have them all. I had the good fortune to pic up an older Marlin 30-30 at a yard sale, really excellent shape. Got it and the case with ammo for $300. Had a guy enquire about buying it, told him he could have it for the $300 I paid for it, he offered me $200, holy #uck. As far as the guy in Pictou I have bought from him. Drove all the way down there, bought a rifle that was as mint as any I have found, give me a great deal. Yes I had to pay my gas for a four hour drive, no he would not drive it to my door. Every gun I have sold some idiot wants it for nothing and to be shipped free or delivered for free. Some people are ruining sites with the whining, driving folks away. I am trying to actually stay away but this stuff erks me. Bea just mentioned in a forum that he sold a group of guns to Kevin, so Kevin could then resell them and make a few bucks. I have seen Kevin list rifles and others why is that ok? Some people list GD cars. Just an example, so don't get bent out of shape. I like the classifieds, the more the better, and I don't look at just the first page. I look at them all. As was said there are few places left with any classifieds. People need to step back and look at the double standard that occurs here daily. Keep it up and the only ones left posting will be the same hand full, and that is starting to get boring!
to be clear...I didn't sell them to Kevin so he could make money lol....I sold them to him cuz it was a one shot deal....no dealing with multiple folks like you say who always try to under cut your price......I sold them to Kevin cause it was a good deal for me.....no BS. For all I know he might have lost money, broke even, made some.....my point is I dont know and dont care.....we made a deal that worked for me in so many ways. Once signed over they were no longer mine. They were his. And so was the headache of getting rid of run of the mill guns and all that involves.

· Registered
5,316 Posts
to be clear...I didn't sell them to Kevin so he could make money lol....I sold them to him cuz it was a one shot deal....no dealing with multiple folks like you say who always try to under cut your price......I sold them to Kevin cause it was a good deal for me.....no BS. For all I know he might have lost money, broke even, made some.....my point is I dont know and dont care.....we made a deal that worked for me in so many ways. Once signed over they were no longer mine. They were his. And so was the headache of getting rid of run of the mill guns and all that involves.
And I don't care either, what or who does with what. My point to some is be careful what you wish for. I am a hoarder so not many of mine get sold, but I sure do like looking through the adds. Last time this topic came up our classified shrank to almost a page or so, is that what folks want, because it seems that it has been said that there are few areas to find firearm classifieds anymore. Not to offend the Savage guys, but going to Canadian Tire and seeing a bolt action Savage with a scope for under $400, you have to wonder why that firearm is a thousand less than others. Hate to break it to some but they are cheap junk compared to older well taken care of firearms, it is why ones see's such a turn over each year. Using this as an example of what used guns should be going for is incorrect. Complaining about business? This is what we are lucky to have. I just thought that bad mouthing these folks over again on the public forum is not helping all of us in the end.

81 - 100 of 132 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.