Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
101 - 120 of 132 Posts

· Registered
4,040 Posts
Well Thunderstick , good you can afford to drive 4 hours to buy a gun, but when you live on a fixed income and that 4 hours of gas may cost me $120 or more and shipping is only $35-40 and your looking to buy something that's not outragous in price or retail as some do .

I say this why would I spend an extra $120 bucks in gas to buy a $175 gun makes no sense to me , doesn't matter if gun is $500 plus gas money , I'm type I'll pay for shipping that's not a issue , but when you get some that it's all thier way or nothing at all and won't bargain, and see them Spam constantly with guns that can be bought cheaper elsewhere , then I look elsewhere. I might as well buy new then and get free shipping , at least then I know the gun has not had the barrel burned out or it's modified in a way that lowers it's value , or as Sidney said get a barrel that's had some sort of epoxy or paint applied to cover scratches .

Sorry you took offense to something or others have said , if I figure it's worth the $$ I offer and guy gets offended cause in most cases guys are buying as low as possible to make nothing but Profit and move on to the next , my self I'll only sell cause I've got my eye on something else , and most times I don't end up selling due to low ballers and flippers , plus my 3 kids will get use outta it in one way or another .

· Registered
3,995 Posts
And I don't care either, what or who does with what. My point to some is be careful what you wish for. I am a hoarder so not many of mine get sold, but I sure do like looking through the adds. Last time this topic came up our classified shrank to almost a page or so, is that what folks want, because it seems that it has been said that there are few areas to find firearm classifieds anymore. Not to offend the Savage guys, but going to Canadian Tire and seeing a bolt action Savage with a scope for under $400, you have to wonder why that firearm is a thousand less than others. Hate to break it to some but they are cheap junk compared to older well taken care of firearms, it is why ones see's such a turn over each year. Using this as an example of what used guns should be going for is incorrect. Complaining about business? This is what we are lucky to have. I just thought that bad mouthing these folks over again on the public forum is not helping all of us in the end.
i get your point.

· Registered
4,040 Posts
And I don't care either, what or who does with what. My point to some is be careful what you wish for. I am a hoarder so not many of mine get sold, but I sure do like looking through the adds. Last time this topic came up our classified shrank to almost a page or so, is that what folks want, because it seems that it has been said that there are few areas to find firearm classifieds anymore. Not to offend the Savage guys, but going to Canadian Tire and seeing a bolt action Savage with a scope for under $400, you have to wonder why that firearm is a thousand less than others. Hate to break it to some but they are cheap junk compared to older well taken care of firearms, it is why ones see's such a turn over each year. Using this as an example of what used guns should be going for is incorrect. Complaining about business? This is what we are lucky to have. I just thought that bad mouthing these folks over again on the public forum is not helping all of us in the end.
I'm not bad mouthing anyone to be clear , but when you try do business with anyone , business or individuals and either get rude response or being unreasonable to deal with or what ever pinecone is up thier A$$$ that day , I move on to find it somewhere else, it's strange most times I buy something used and mostly a older we'll cared for gun it's from out west or B.C , guys only happy to ship on my dime , but you try to buy here and jezzz you swear you asking them pull thier teeth out for ya . Most times I sell I'll price it high for one simple reason to keep away the flippers and lowballers , someone says I'll give ya $$$ for it and they are close to my real price I'll say we'll add $$ and I'll cover half shipping but if they start badmouthing what I got I'll just say here's my bottom price here's the shipping cost .

That guy in Pictou I tried buy that Ruger 10/22 he's had for last couple months on here and several other sites for the price asking plus shipping Here's his response " No Shipping , here's my Address You come get it , I'm in Cape Breton I said , That's you Problem he says " well Fk him I said and bought a Ruger 10\22 from out west with 3 different stocks for just few bucks more plus shipping only cost me $80 more in total than Mr Barney's River

· Registered
5,316 Posts
Well Thunderstick , good you can afford to drive 4 hours to buy a gun, but when you live on a fixed income and that 4 hours of gas may cost me $120 or more and shipping is only $35-40 and your looking to buy something that's not outragous in price or retail as some do .

I say this why would I spend an extra $120 bucks in gas to buy a $175 gun makes no sense to me , doesn't matter if gun is $500 plus gas money , I'm type I'll pay for shipping that's not a issue , but when you get some that it's all thier way or nothing at all and won't bargain, and see them Spam constantly with guns that can be bought cheaper elsewhere , then I look elsewhere. I might as well buy new then and get free shipping , at least then I know the gun has not had the barrel burned out or it's modified in a way that lowers it's value , or as Sidney said get a barrel that's had some sort of epoxy or paint applied to cover scratches .

Sorry you took offense to something or others have said , if I figure it's worth the $$ I offer and guy gets offended cause in most cases guys are buying as low as possible to make nothing but Profit and move on to the next , my self I'll only sell cause I've got my eye on something else , and most times I don't end up selling due to low ballers and flippers , plus my 3 kids will get use outta it in one way or another .
I have no problems with those purchasing out of province, shipping costs etc. I have found after being contacted by buyers from other parts of Canada, the Maritimes is the cheapest place to buy firearms, and they know it. I spend many hours going through different hunting shops inventory out of province, everything is at least $300 and more than here. So driving four hours, or spending $120 is not money lost to me, I also get to view it, that is money well spent. I cannot expect to purchase a rifle here that in Ontario is $300 more and expect the seller here in Nova Scotia to bring it to me, or ship it out of his pocket, and also lower the price. People have to start looking at how everything has been going up. The problem today is to many want stuff for nothing. Cannot put an add on Kijiji with out someone wanting to know what's your lowest price. When something I am after is listed I cannot grab my hat fast enough to get there before its gone. I don't leave people hanging. The last firearm I posted here on this site I was contacted by a gentlemen from Halifax. He wanted it, done deal, then it started. When would I be going his way. I went his way took the rifle, and a no show. I held it for him for over a month as this game was played. No intentions of driving to get it. I lowered the price over $100, still no sell but calling me repeatedly. Finally wanted me to meet him half way. I agreed now I am at my lowest price plus out the gas. He then reverted back to me bringing it to Halifax. In the end I said never mind. The gentlemen told me to shove it up me #rse. This is a small example what is out there. I cannot imagine selling guns as a small business what idiots one

encountered. Some times things are hard to find, sometimes one has to go for it when you see it, if you really want it. Some things may seem high but a year or two later if you did your homework it has gained in value. One thing I have learned, condition is everything. I have rifles that I have hunted with for over thirty years that have no marks, lost blueing etc. Look after your stuff it will sell. The reason many in the gun business say come and get it, is because they have been screwed over.

· Registered
4,040 Posts
Not everyone is out to screw others over , unfortunately it does happen , I've had it happen to me as well , I must say your better man than me to hold a gun for a month maybe a week nothing more , bring it to them , not happening , either I'll send lots of pics or they can view here in person , Shipping no problem on my part , I've shipped from Newfoundland to B.C to the Yukon, if I see a Bargain yes I'll scoup it up , most times don't even need it , I'll take it just to help out the kids when they go with me or my son who old enough go himself .

As for Kijiji that's lost cause , although I just sold a small deep freeze for $50 on there , had lots ask if I'd take $20 , just don't even respond , guy that bought it, was only one that came looked at it and said only $50 your giving it away for that price , just wanted it gone outta my way . I guess they figure your on Kijiji your desperate for cash , not so .I don't mind to travel reasonable distance , as long as it's reasonable in price as well , but not always are guns better priced here , that depends on WHO is selling , yes most are reasonable , but I have found good deals out west even with shipping in. As for others that waste my time , I just don't bother next time they contact me to give the run around . No time for that crap , if I say I'm buying it consider it sold , I'm a Man of my word , too bad others not take that into consideration , no need for someone to give the run around and waste your time or lost sale to someone who truly wants the item for sale

· Registered
694 Posts
Myself I don't hackle over the price,if I think it's too high I just pass and scroll on. I sold my fair share on here and I don't think I screwed anyone over,if anything I sold below its value .

I also bought alot on here and facebook, only got shafted once on a Stevens 22 rifle 1944, I paid 180.00 shipped from Ontario off Firearms Canada web site.After many emails and telling him I would drive up myself and get my money back he returned $120.00,Next day he mailed me telling me to keep it,don't bother returning it,The reason for this is that the stock was filled with car body fill,right from the trigger guard to the tip of the forearm about 2 inches wide, was I pissed off or whatI was luck to sell it the way it was for $50.00 or so I forget now, burns my arse everytime I think of it,,that was my only bad deal but ended fair all in all,,,

· Registered
18,481 Posts
I haggle on everything. Grew up that way and it is part of life for me

I use different methods for different sellers/companies

Twice today

One of them local store fence posts for the garden not needed until may. Needed 40

saved

4.00 a post by stressing last years stock and pricing , the way the snow removal is beating them and who is going to take them off your hands for another few months

Add that by taking now before new stock came in and paying cash great deal is made IMO .If I didnot ask would have paid sticker price later, plus they are lending me the large hammer to put them in vs me buying one at like 69 bucks

I always ask all they can say is NO

There is a huge difference however between haggling and low balling

Cheers

· Registered
694 Posts
Must also say that the majority of members on here are pretty good guys, lot of them are very trust worthy as well. Bought a pair of Grand Slam high mounts awhile back,guy lived about 45 minutes away, said no hurry if you want them I;ll save them for you when the next time your in Windsor we can meet up,,to me that is trusting in all counts, mounts worked great I might add Louisbear

Another time I bought an old scope and an old Herters duck call for $20.00 shipped,I said that I'll take it,,lol He asked for my mailing address and said he would send it first and if I thought it was worth $20.00 then to send it to him,,never in my life did that ever happen before to me,, these are the guys that should be given a huge pat on the back

Another time just lately bought a beautiful rifle off here,well looked after, great scope on it, had to drive over an hour,, he had to drive close to the same towards me, met up with him right on time,no hassle on price or no grief what so ever. I normally can tell after the first email what I'm dealing with

· Registered
18,481 Posts
Must also say that the majority of members on here are pretty good guys, lot of them are very trust worthy as well. Bought a pair of Grand Slam high mounts awhile back,guy lived about 45 minutes away, said no hurry if you want them I;ll save them for you when the next time your in Windsor we can meet up,,to me that is trusting in all counts, mounts worked great I might add Louisbear

Another time I bought an old scope and an old Herters duck call for $20.00 shipped,I said that I'll take it,,lol He asked for my mailing address and said he would send it first and if I thought it was worth $20.00 then to send it to him,,never in my life did that ever happen before to me,, these are the guys that should be given a huge pat on the back

Another time just lately bought a beautiful rifle off here,well looked after, great scope on it, had to drive over an hour,, he had to drive close to the same towards me, met up with him right on time,no hassle on price or no grief what so ever. I normally can tell after the first email what I'm dealing with
agree 100%

· Registered
4,040 Posts
I guess I. Just getting crochity in my old age (50) lol, and tired of dealing with those that give the run around and waste others time , maybe my comments ruffle more feathers than expected, after a while one tends to get set in thier ways .

· Registered
5,079 Posts
I'm a pretty crappy salesman myself. 9 times out of 10, I lose money lol.

· Registered
4,040 Posts
I'm a pretty crappy salesman myself. 9 times out of 10, I lose money lol.
Happens to the best of us , hate trying sell anything at times , sold a small deep freeze today for next to nothing and still had offers for $20 for it , was only wanting $50 for it just to see someone get some use for it , at least the guy that DID come and take it was Happy he got Good Deal , was happy to get it outta my way .

· Administrator
11,004 Posts
Different strokes for different folks when it comes to buying and selling....same ones usually are always the low ballers. I've only been burned once on a scope deal, but I DID get my money back from the arse pick ;) !!

I consider myself a pretty good judge of character...I've held stuff for a few people, I've had them hold stuff for me for a little bit. Always worked out. I've even packaged up a BNIB Boresighter w/ all the arbors and sent it to a guy that I met a few times....he was having some major vehicle issues and wouldn't be able to free up the cash for a few weeks...I knew he was good for it...so I obliged him...it was never an issue for me, ..because if you live long enuff, you'll find yourself in the same spot sooner or later.

All this talk of selling, buying, low balling, and condition of items being sold, reminded me...I got a few things to list...need to free up some cash to get more lobster gear !!...See you in the classifieds B) B)

· Registered
5,079 Posts
I've sold more gear since early December than I have the previous 25 yrs. I've always been more of a buyer than anything else. But alas, I have seen the light lol. Well not really, I just have decided, I would rather own a few I occasionally use than a lot I never use. Since December, I have sold 5 rifles and 4 surplus scopes.

· Registered
18,481 Posts
Sidney

After looking at the barrel pics you posted seriously you better buy everything new and have the new barrel in your hands before you take it since even new is not 100% as far as wear, marks, etc

I was expecting to see a piece of trash the way you described this barrel and you made it sound like the seller ripped you off

The wear as you call it on the end is nothing more than use from someone's hand or glove holding the gun upright in the blind and to be expected and not bad at all especially for a barrel made in 1975.

I am not sure where this epoxy repair is from the pics but see maybe a bit of varnish that may have transferred to the barrel when they touched up the wood where those slight wear marks are and they sure look slight from the pics. Look at your mag ring after you tighten the new barrel a few times or find me a used barrel that doesn't have marks there and what difference does that make

To think you got ripped off for $150 is beyond me and I would not be listing it as such which is the just one gets from reading your description

The bore looks perfect which is the most important and there doesn't seem to be any picks or rust anywhere in the bluing it is well worth $150

My listing

Good used 870 VR barrel with normal expected wear from use in these areas( show them) with excellent bore and no rust or pits on blueing or bore

Any how to each their own

If others don't agree please chime in

Cheers

· Registered
18,481 Posts
The only times I get a seller to hold anything for me is for when I can arrange pick up and I always pay for it upfront

I have parts now in halifax that have been sitting since last fall but he is ok with that since he has his money

Cheers

· Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
Sidney

After looking at the barrel pics you posted seriously you better buy everything new and have the new barrel in your hands before you take it since even new is not 100% as far as wear, marks, etc

I was expecting to see a piece of trash the way you described this barrel and you made it sound like the seller ripped you off

The wear as you call it on the end is nothing more than use from someone's hand or glove holding the gun upright in the blind and to be expected and not bad at all especially for a barrel made in 1975.

I am not sure where this epoxy repair is from the pics but see maybe a bit of varnish that may have transferred to the barrel when they touched up the wood where those slight wear marks are and they sure look slight from the pics. Look at your mag ring after you tighten the new barrel a few times or find me a used barrel that doesn't have marks there and what difference does that make

To think you got ripped off for $150 is beyond me and I would not be listing it as such which is the just one gets from reading your description

The bore looks perfect which is the most important and there doesn't seem to be any picks or rust anywhere in the bluing it is well worth $150

My listing

Good used 870 VR barrel with normal expected wear from use in these areas( show them) with excellent bore and no rust or pits on blueing or bore

Any how to each their own

If others don't agree please chime in

Cheers
I did not take good pictures but the wear is very obvious (no blueing/gloss) left near muzzle on left side.

· Registered
18,481 Posts
I did not take good pictures but the wear is very obvious (no blueing/gloss) left near muzzle on left side.
But again not uncommon for a used barrel especially one that is 30" and used in a duck blind or a trap field and $150 bucks.

That is where one would hold the gun. Does it effect function NO. Do you think the guy buying it is putting it on an old safe queen with zero marks

If I was looking for a barrel and read your listing I would not buy it for the sole reason the way it is written up. I would suspect there is more serious problems not being told or shown

I JUST bought a barrel for $150, I am not happy with it's condition so selling it for $150 firm without even trying it

Big flags IMO and not justified from what we can see

No intention to pick on you just point out how it looks to others/ potential buyers

Cheers

101 - 120 of 132 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.