Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
121 - 132 of 132 Posts

· Registered
416 Posts
I really don't know what people expect anymore. I think some have to get there head out of there at$# or sand. People complain that this web site is gone, or this paper is gone, yet when we get a listing of guns on this website folks complain of its the same guy, or to many listings, or the prices are to high, or there add is not on the first page, or someone is running a business etc. What do you want. I thought this site had a policy that one could not bash business's, but its been going on all week? This is what killed the bargain hunter, people whining about prices. I get calls, actually three in the last three weeks from people looking to get pre 64 Winchesters in good shape for $200. I wish I knew where these are, I would have them all. I had the good fortune to pic up an older Marlin 30-30 at a yard sale, really excellent shape. Got it and the case with ammo for $300. Had a guy enquire about buying it, told him he could have it for the $300 I paid for it, he offered me $200, holy #uck. As far as the guy in Pictou I have bought from him. Drove all the way down there, bought a rifle that was as mint as any I have found, give me a great deal. Yes I had to pay my gas for a four hour drive, no he would not drive it to my door. Every gun I have sold some idiot wants it for nothing and to be shipped free or delivered for free. Some people are ruining sites with the whining, driving folks away. I am trying to actually stay away but this stuff erks me. Bea just mentioned in a forum that he sold a group of guns to Kevin, so Kevin could then resell them and make a few bucks. I have seen Kevin list rifles and others why is that ok? Some people list GD cars. Just an example, so don't get bent out of shape. I like the classifieds, the more the better, and I don't look at just the first page. I look at them all. As was said there are few places left with any classifieds. People need to step back and look at the double standard that occurs here daily. Keep it up and the only ones left posting will be the same hand full, and that is starting to get boring!
If you are waiting in line to buy a product or service (commercial, government, medical care, etc) and you are waiting in line for a while or long time and someone comes along and moves to the front of the line and gets served right away and does this often how would you feel?.

Another example is lets say you are a child and your parents tell you to save money and plan the trip of your lifetime, so you spend years doing so and everything that was planned is ready but the last thing becomes a sudden surprise and road block to your dream like you need that ticket to a concert or event but scalpers bought all the tickets for reasonable or low price and are now flipping them for VERY HIGH price. So what do you do? do you dash your dreams or cave in to these scalpers?.

Growing up my dad never let us have firearms so when I became an adult I was working day and night (minimum wage and car insurance was high under the age of 25 for a male and croocked car mechanics) so I could not afford it time wise and money. Then years later I started to go through all the hoops to get licences (PAL, WIldlife Resources Card & Habitat Stamp), paperwork (when registry was here for unrestricted), trigger lock, gun case & ammo case (if ammo stored in same roof) ammo, hunter orange clothing, knife, matches, compass, callers, etc. Also your wife's permission on the PAL application form or if you recently got divorced or lost your job you must disclose that on the form too.

So you think after all this you are almost there but the all of the sudden an unexpected roadblock comes along where all the reasonable or low priced guns are quickly bought by these scalpers who flip them for the same price as new or even more. YES THAT IS TRUE. Most of the high priced firearms on CGN and NSS Shooting and other websites are scalpers.

No, what killed The Bargain Hunter Press website was a lady who had a contract with the publishing company (parent company of it) and her contract was up I was told this by a lady who works at the office in Trider Cresc, Burnside Industrial Park. The only traffic to that website was the firearms, if the publishing company used common sense they could of contacted the various local gun stores and had them advertise there to cover maintenance and employee costs and the site would remain.

· Registered
5,318 Posts
If you are waiting in line to buy a product or service (commercial, government, medical care, etc) and you are waiting in line for a while or long time and someone comes along and moves to the front of the line and gets served right away and does this often how would you feel?.

Another example is lets say you are a child and your parents tell you to save money and plan the trip of your lifetime, so you spend years doing so and everything that was planned is ready but the last thing becomes a sudden surprise and road block to your dream like you need that ticket to a concert or event but scalpers bought all the tickets for reasonable or low price and are now flipping them for VERY HIGH price. So what do you do? do you dash your dreams or cave in to these scalpers?.

Growing up my dad never let us have firearms so when I became an adult I was working day and night (minimum wage and car insurance was high under the age of 25 for a male) so I could not afford it time wise and money. Then years later I started to go through all the hoops to get licences (PAL, WIldlife Resources Card & Habitat Stamp), paperwork (when registry was here for unrestricted), trigger lock, gun case & ammo case (if ammo stored in same roof) ammo, hunter orange clothing, knife, matches, compass, callers, etc. Also your wife's permission on the PAL application form or if you recently got divorced or lost your job you must disclose that on the form too.

So you think after all this you are almost there but the all of the sudden an unexpected roadblock comes along where all the reasonable or low priced guns are quickly bought by these scalpers who flip them for the same price as new or even more. YES THAT IS TRUE. Most of the high priced firearms on CGN and NSS Shooting and other websites are scalpers.

No, what killed The Bargain Hunter Press website was a lady who had a contract with the publishing company (parent company of it) and her contract was up I was told this by a lady who works at the office in Trider Cresc, Burnside Industrial Park. The only traffic to that website was the firearms, if the publishing company used common sense they could of contacted the various local gun stores and had them advertise there to cover maintenance and employee costs and the site would remain.
Personally I think you really need to do some more research on firearms, condition, models, and values. Many firearms have tripled in value over the years. Ask your self how many antique cars are going for the same price that they were years ago, none. Example, vehicles were made a hell of a lot better years ago, same as firearms etc, compared to today. Those that are knowledgeable and follow firearms see this and know that there value has risen. I got an old 22, my dads, I believe it was bought for less than $10.00. Used today probably easily $200 in its condition. 22 rifles today start at $400 and up, crazy to think, but it is a fact of life, every thing costs more. Many people purchase a firearm, they have to usually go get it, or pay shipping, the taxes etc. Some scope it, add basses, slings ammo etc. Kept in good condition they decide to sell and are expected to give it away. Many firearms prices for this reason are reasonable if you factor what is involved. 94 Winchesters are going upwards of $1600-$1800 today. Is it unreasonable for some one who has an older one to ask $500? Look at simple pellet guns now costing hundreds, a box of ammo for some firearms have also reached a hundred. The bargain hunter in the end had repeated adds from people complaining they could not get a firearm for at prices 40 years ago, over and over again. It is why I said I don't know what people expect. The gun show in Bridgewater is coming up. People have complained about it and others on this site. These sellers travel there, rent the tables for the whole weekend. There is a cost involved for them. They also went door to door to gather up what they have. As everything new goes up, everything old in working condition goes up, its a fact of life. As I said earlier I bought a rifle for $300. Smoking deal with case. It was a $500 gun. It did not come to me I drove and got it. A fellow wanted it for his dad. I offered it to them for what I paid, the $300. They figured firearms should not be more than $200 today and that is what they offered. For $200 I will cut it up with a hacksaw for personal joy. If you were to follow the gun dealer for a week you will see he has a very high turn over. Some items only last hours. People are quick to pay the asking price, plus there is the shipping and taxes on top. It is how it is. Good luck in your search, every once in a while a deal can be had, but usually pricing is not all that far of the mark.

· Registered
416 Posts
Personally I think you really need to do some more research on firearms, condition, models, and values. Many firearms have tripled in value over the years. Ask your self how many antique cars are going for the same price that they were years ago, none. Example, vehicles were made a hell of a lot better years ago, same as firearms etc, compared to today. Those that are knowledgeable and follow firearms see this and know that there value has risen. I got an old 22, my dads, I believe it was bought for less than $10.00. Used today probably easily $200 in its condition. 22 rifles today start at $400 and up, crazy to think, but it is a fact of life, every thing costs more. Many people purchase a firearm, they have to usually go get it, or pay shipping, the taxes etc. Some scope it, add basses, slings ammo etc. Kept in good condition they decide to sell and are expected to give it away. Many firearms prices for this reason are reasonable if you factor what is involved. 94 Winchesters are going upwards of $1600-$1800 today. Is it unreasonable for some one who has an older one to ask $500? Look at simple pellet guns now costing hundreds, a box of ammo for some firearms have also reached a hundred. The bargain hunter in the end had repeated adds from people complaining they could not get a firearm for at prices 40 years ago, over and over again. It is why I said I don't know what people expect. The gun show in Bridgewater is coming up. People have complained about it and others on this site. These sellers travel there, rent the tables for the whole weekend. There is a cost involved for them. They also went door to door to gather up what they have. As everything new goes up, everything old in working condition goes up, its a fact of life. As I said earlier I bought a rifle for $300. Smoking deal with case. It was a $500 gun. It did not come to me I drove and got it. A fellow wanted it for his dad. I offered it to them for what I paid, the $300. They figured firearms should not be more than $200 today and that is what they offered. For $200 I will cut it up with a hacksaw for personal joy. If you were to follow the gun dealer for a week you will see he has a very high turn over. Some items only last hours. People are quick to pay the asking price, plus there is the shipping and taxes on top. It is how it is. Good luck in your search, every once in a while a deal can be had, but usually pricing is not all that far of the mark.
Not all firearm manufacturers have new firearms that have gone down in quality, yes that is true that Remington (since 2006) and Marlin, probably others but not all. And I am talking about models that back yard dealers are selling privately that are still sold today, as well when they are selling them privately they are purposely selling the extra stuff seperately like slings, gun case, trigger locks, etc specially on CGN. When I was looking for a barrel the chokes half of the time were not included but after the sale you saw the seller listing the choke seperately.

He is one of MANY GOOD examples and check his feedback score (trader rating to see he is a back yard dealer):

https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php/1668163-Rem-870-Wingmaster-12ga-3-quot

Rem 870 Wingmaster 12ga 3"

Remington 870 Wingmaster. 12ga, 3". BNIB, comes as shown. Selling because I've decided to go with a semi-auto instead.

$950 plus shipping or best offer. Not really looking for trades, but feel free to offer something up.

He was asking $1000 then when I sent him a polite e-mail telling him next time he needs to purchase a firearm to purchase it from these two stores so he would not loose money he decided to lower his price by only $50:

Only $920 (in British Columbia where real estate is expensive):

https://www.wanstallsonline.com/firearms/sporting-shotguns/pump-action/remington-870-wingmaster-12ga.html

Only $970 (in Vancouver where real estate is one of the highest in Canada):

https://www.reliablegun.com/lo/remington-model-870-wingmaster-pump-action-shotgun-12ga-3-26-light-contour-vented-rib-high-polish-blued-hi-gloss-american-walnut-stock-4rds-twin-bead-sights-rem-choke-fmic

Plus Remington has $50 rebate EVERY year from August to December or so.

· Registered
18,485 Posts
Not all firearm manufacturers have new firearms that have gone down in quality, yes that is true that Remington (since 2006) and Marlin, probably others but not all. And I am talking about models that back yard dealers are selling privately that are still sold today, as well when they are selling them privately they are purposely selling the extra stuff seperately like slings, gun case, trigger locks, etc specially on CGN. When I was looking for a barrel the chokes half of the time were not included but after the sale you saw the seller listing the choke seperately.

He is one of MANY GOOD examples and check his feedback score (trader rating to see he is a back yard dealer):

https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php/1668163-Rem-870-Wingmaster-12ga-3-quot

Remington 870 Wingmaster. 12ga, 3". BNIB, comes as shown. Selling because I've decided to go with a semi-auto instead.

$950 plus shipping or best offer. Not really looking for trades, but feel free to offer something up.

He was asking $1000 then when I sent him a polite e-mail telling him next time he needs to purchase a firearm to purchase it from these two stores so he would not loose money he decided to lower his price by only $50:

https://www.wanstallsonline.com/firearms/sporting-shotguns/pump-action/remington-870-wingmaster-12ga.html

https://www.reliablegun.com/lo/remington-model-870-wingmaster-pump-action-shotgun-12ga-3-26-light-contour-vented-rib-high-polish-blued-hi-gloss-american-walnut-stock-4rds-twin-bead-sights-rem-choke-fmic

I am just sitting here shaking my head. :) Nutz is clearly not for you

How in the lord jesus is this guy a back yard dealer from his feedback of 96

So he has a over priced wingmaster on there. People can ask what ever they like for their stuff but I ask you did it sell NOPE and it will bump and bump until he drops it a few hundred more likely sell for 750 plus shipping

Why will it get bumped because it is over priced now and buyers know that

I guess I must be a big time back yard dealer with a score of 194 yet have NEVER bought even ONE gun since my first in 1965 to resell to make money on

No guys that are back yard dealers are jimbow47 out of new brunswick with his score of 1912 a guy I may add that I have bought 6 or 8 firearms off over the years and would buy more since they are priced fair and his descriptions are accurate

On the barrels with out the choke tubes since remington doesn't always include a full set pending the barrel you buy why should you expect anyone to toss them in if they paid extra to get them

For me if they came with three you get three if one you get one and yes I sell the others separately. If you ask I will say yes I have others but the price goes up on the barrel

I am not the salvation army or food bank

See there are average Joe's that own many guns some 100's of them and they are not back yard dealers just guys that have collected over the years and usually when they sell one it is to buy another

That is my rule gun money stays gun money and so far I have been able to do that maybe later in life that may have to change but not so far

Cheers

· Registered
5,318 Posts

Maybe I am missing something here but $920-970 not really a big difference in price. Sometimes things are a little cheaper, demo, the odd mark etc. Chokes are sold separate on many shotguns, Canadian Tire stocks them $30 or more each. All the extras you mention are extras, they cost money, someone money. If everything across Canada was to be the same, gas prices would be the same every where's today. The further you go out west the higher prices climb, and also in the US. It is not to say one cannot find a deal, sale etc. Speaking of new firearms, many new manufactures have cheap versions on the shelves, that people buy, finding out the front site fell off, or the fixture that holds the front stock on lets go, or the blueing is not even real blueing, Compared to older well known, proven manufactures, it makes the older used stuff more valuable, people revert back to it for there dependability. I buy a gun with no accessories pretty well all the time, it is how I guess I expect it. Over time I buy a sling and extra mag etc. When I sell it I usually let it go with the rifle. Guess I figure it was a cost for the enjoyment. If I wanted to take the time I guess I could list some items separate. But I am satisfied with the sale and like Bea said it is not dragged on.

· Registered
4,041 Posts
I'll say this as 3macs1 said not to pick on you Sidney but for a 40 year old barrel for $150 it does look good for it's age and what ever use it has , You may think the guy ripped you off , but for me I'd be happy if I found one if truly needed, and price matched it's age and use, Unfortunately Wingmasters have increased as with any other gun that goes thru good quality control , while the lower ones just get boxed and pushed out the door , Who would ever think a New .22 would set you back $400 or more , and yes there's guys selling used ones for that price as well with used scopes and most will say it's brand new , mint , but still it it's looked over carefully most do have handling marks , not everyone takes care if what they buy and sell .Most guys today even just spending $300 on a used gun that intend to keep it take care of it . I know I do

I find today there's more target shooters than hunters , several trips to the range or some backwoods pit and blast away , keep the box clean it as best they can and try to contact some unsuspecting person who did not ask right questions into buying it for almost retail , or just a hair under , Budget rifles are just that Cheap , triggers need to be set or replaced with something better , Stocks are flimsy as FK, through in cheap bases to make look good , there are some who know and keep it in mind once you load it it's used ,no matter it's condition it's still used . Now condition tells what price it could be sold at , I've seen NEW guns less than 3-6 months old that had wear on them that would take years to do but they were used so much it was premature wear do to all the neglect and punishment it was getting and guy says Yup , got the RECIEPT right here , I want $$$ so I can buy a new one and start all over , lmfao . Move on to more realistic people . I bought a budget rifle myself , $400 for a 22-250 Marlin X7 series left over stock to the door , $483 tax and shipped , but I also sent out for a Boyd's stock to replace the not so nice synthetic factory stock , sure I'm still into just under $700 for a new gun without my scope and rings that I already had here new and set aside . Homework is the key to buying anything today , even a used 22-250 most wanted $800 with wood stock and Bull Barrel that was my objective and I came out with something new at a used gun price , for a budget rifle it's up there in quality except for the stock, with some of my older deer rifles that are 30-60 years older .

The old saying goes you get what you pay for , can't expect a Mercedes when paying for a Yugo

· Registered
4,041 Posts
Not everyone is willing to pkg everything together and sell it as a bundle , as others have said some will , some won't , but gun money stays gun money for as well same as others have said , I have sold pkg deals and split things up due to some only want the gun . Most times I'm selling something it's to buy something else ,NOW half time it's not even for ME ! It's to set the Kids up and watch them get enjoyment from hunting .

· Registered
18,485 Posts
Not everyone is willing to pkg everything together and sell it as a bundle , as others have said some will , some won't , but gun money stays gun money for as well same as others have said , I have sold pkg deals and split things up due to some only want the gun . Most times I'm selling something it's to buy something else ,NOW half time it's not even for ME ! It's to set the Kids up and watch them get enjoyment from hunting .
For me if my eye is not on something else in a firearm I would never think of selling one of my guns with what I now have left. Yes I did do some unplanned herd thinning which is now done after my decision to make some moves due to the possible lead ban issue

Some guys have debit cards and extra cash to buy what they want, use overtime but I don't we never did

My deal with the wife was no money comes out of our pays for toys like guns and I have stuck to that for almost 40 years

Other than the receint thinning I broke the gun for gun rule once in the past about 4 years ago when a nutz member who owned a camera shop in montreal approached me about three shot guns I had and he wanted for his collection. I traded those and cash for new canon camera len (s) for the mrs which she loves and uses vs three old shotguns that were sitting in the safe for 30 years

Cheers

· Registered
4,041 Posts
I'm the same it's hard to part with any of it now , there is couple tho I'm thinking thin out to buy something else , any time I bought one it was from something else sold , never outta house money , Trapping money went right back into it for love of doing it , maybe if some extra was there after expenses I put it on ammo or what ever for my Not So Needed pleasure.

Now daughter wants deer rifle , but being only 102 Lbs Soaking Wet , some my bigger Cal's little too much plus she's smaller framed , so it's either a Deer barrel for her 20 gauge or a small Cal youth Rifle like 243 , but before that happens , something has to be freed up or wait till Fur is gone to market this year to look after that expense . What ever it will be tho, either on budget end or something older of better quality to last her till she's old enough to do her own buying . Oldest daughter is now old enough to legally own and buy what she wants. They all know there's enough for them all to keep them going. I don't buy a whole lot or sell a whole lot , till time comes to free up money for something different

My son I set him up from day one , gave him at least 8 , only made room for more Lol , but said never sell any , some were your grandfather's and great grandfather's. It becomes a Sickness buying and selling , Today I mostly buy so kids will never really have need to down the road .

· Registered
4,041 Posts
For me if my eye is not on something else in a firearm I would never think of selling one of my guns with what I now have left. Yes I did do some unplanned herd thinning which is now done after my decision to make some moves due to the possible lead ban issue

Some guys have debit cards and extra cash to buy what they want, use overtime but I don't we never did
My deal with the wife was no money comes out of our pays for toys like guns and I have stuck to that for almost 40 years

Other than the receint thinning I broke the gun for gun rule once in the past about 4 years ago when a nutz member who owned a camera shop in montreal approached me about three shot guns I had and he wanted for his collection. I traded those and cash for new canon camera len (s) for the mrs which she loves and uses vs three old shotguns that were sitting in the safe for 30 years
Cheers
I'm sure tho that Camera lens made the misses Very Happy , I've done that couple times sold something give the misses she could use it , over my own . Happy Wife, Happy life !

· Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 ·
Here is the RCMP (and city police) database accessable to the public to use prior to purchasing a firearm:

http://app.cpic-cipc.ca/English/searchformfirearms.cfm

And for other properties:

http://app.cpic-cipc.ca/English/search.cfm

If anyone knows of any other ways to search for a serial # before making a purchase please let me know.

By the way this should be a sticky post in my opinion, lol.
In case someone sees these firearms for sale please use the above link to see if they are stolen prior to purchasing:

https://www.reddit.com/r/canadaguns/comments/8vm4y1
The serial #'s are in the above link. I feel really bad for the victim.

How assinine is that Daveyn !!

MODS....this should be a "sticky" under the firearms or legalese headers !

Thanks Sidney !
It's been a year and half and still no mods, lol,
smile.png

121 - 132 of 132 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.