Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Locked in a struggle with a coyote Wednesday night, Brian Hutchins used a wrestling technique he learned in his high school days and flipped the animal off his head after it attacked him in his yard. It was around 8 p.m., and Mr. Hutchins was heading toward his chicken coop to put away his hens for the night when he was attacked. Coming from his walk-out basement left him a bit vulnerable because the coyote was on higher ground. There were two other coyotes in the yard, but they didn't approach him, he said. With the coyote on his back, he said, he "used an old technique" that came back to him from the days when he was a wrestler at Keefe Regional Technical School in Framingham. "It jumped on my back," said Mr. Hutchins, 49, of Glenwood Road, who said the animal felt like it weighed about 80 pounts. "It was trying to bite through my coat and it scratched me all up. I ripped it over my head. I'm kind of a roughneck. "I always carry a knife when I go out back because you never know, and I stabbed it. I stabbed it about ten times and it ran off." The attack left Mr. Hutchins shaken. He said he was shouting as it happened, although his wife, Ruth Hutchins, was not home to hear him. When he called her on the phone, she raced home and was "freaking out," he said. "I won the fight," he said. "I wasn't going down. It was me, my knife and the coyote." Environmental Police went to the home Thursday and were looking for the animal but if it survived, it could be miles away. There have been reports of coyotes in the area and occasional attacks on pets and farm animals, but Police Chief Nicholas Monaco said he hasn't had a report of one so brazen that it attacked a human. His sentiments were echoed by David Wattles, a black bear and fur-bearer biologist for the state Division of Fisheries and Wildlife. He found the account of the Rutland attack "troubling." Mr. Wattles said the attack on Mr. Hutchins is only the 10th in Massachusetts since 1998.

http://www.telegram.com/news/20180419/rutland-man-recounts-backyard-tussle-with-coyote

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
LOL - this sure hit my funnybone - thanks for the laugh this morning. Dude definitely sounds like the wrestlers, at the Hfx Forum years ago, giving a blow by blow account of their "fight."

Guy better watch out when those 2 bystander yotes come back for a rematch. LOL.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts