Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm new to this forum and Nova Scotia in general. I was looking to get a new rifle and haven't been able to track down a spot that sells Sako rifles. Does anyone know of one or am i better off shopping online? i would like to support local though if possible.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Haven't seen any around the local shops although Hnatiuks in Elmsdale used to carry some and may still. You can also try Young Guns in Porters Lake as he may be able to order the type and caliber you want.

When I was looking for a Sako or Tikka (7 years ago) I went to The Gun Dealer in NB and settled on a Tikka because the price was right. By the way, great choice in a rifle and good luck in your search.

·
Registered
539 Posts
You might be better off getting a Tikka if you want to shop local. I don't see too many Sakos around but I do see a few Tikkas every so often. If you really want a Sakos then I'd say cabelas would be your easiest place to get one. Just my opinion

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just talked to Lequille, they can bring Sako rifles in. I was looking at Tikka as well but i like some of the features that Sako has that tikka doesn't. They are both fantastic rifles though. Im looking at getting the Laminate S/S 33wsm

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Never thought of Lequilles - they're a good shop too ! The Laminate SS is a little out of my price range but a beauty! And SS is great for this area of Canada.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They are pricey for sure but its one of those guns youd never have to upgrade from and last me a life time

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
Been planning on maybe liquidating a few rifles this year and treating myself to a Kimber but that Sako carbonlite has me kind of intrigued. The price is steep but you only live once lol. The old school sako guys say Sako quality has slipped since Beretta bought the company. I don't have any means of comparison as I have never owned Any Sako rifles.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Carbonlite is a very nice gun but it doesnt come in the caliber i want. Im looking for a 300wsm. If i dont get the Laminate S/S i'll look for a Sako long range instead. Might as well enjoy it while you can, like you said you only live once

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Been planning on maybe liquidating a few rifles this year and treating myself to a Kimber but that Sako carbonlite has me kind of intrigued. The price is steep but you only live once lol. The old school sako guys say Sako quality has slipped since Beretta bought the company. I don't have any means of comparison as I have never owned Any Sako rifles.
Nomad - When Beretta bought out Sako they kept the rifle development and production in Finland so I'm hoping the quality stayed. My Tikka is post 2000 so was manufactured after Beretta bought Sako/Tikka so can't compare to the ones produced pre 2000.

Carbonlite is a very nice gun but it doesnt come in the caliber i want. Im looking for a 300wsm. If i dont get the Laminate S/S i'll look for a Sako long range instead. Might as well enjoy it while you can, like you said you only live once
If Lequilles can't find one for you then check with the Gun Dealer in McAdam , NB. They show them on their price list.

Here's their website: http://www.thegundealer.net/inventory.php?Category=163

·
Registered
52 Posts
was at rifle range here in cape breton `and a great guy and outdoorsman had a sako blue laminated ported barrel topped with a huskama long range scope in 338 lapua ,all i can say is WOW,the look the feel the lockup and butter smooth action ,after he and his buddy finished up he walked over with a 220 grain shell and said you want to take a shot,i know that they are $200 box of 20 well that was the closest i will ever get to a ferrari lol. thanks joe.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lequille got back to me and said they can gte it in for me, 1.5-2 week order time which isnt to bad. I'll probably end up taking my Zeiss scope off my 30-06 and putting it on my new one. Thanks for the input everyone

·
Registered
439 Posts
Sako's are made for the long haul I took possession of mine 10 yrs ago, by then Dad said I want to keep this in the family. I said no problem there. I used that rifle many times over the years. So when was it bought 1956 I was 7 then and Dad who was in the Navy was posted to NFLD for two years and of all places Eaton;s had a Sako Forrester heavy barrel model 308 Win. for sale at a special price.Needless to say he bought that rifle and it has been in this family ever since, then again my Grandfathers Model 94 Winchester is being carried and used by my brother in law. So my Sako is almost 60 yrs old. Unfortunately the 3 Winchester Model 97 pumps bought for a grand total of $75 for all 3 in 1907 by my two Great Uncles and Grandfather were sold off by mistake when my Uncle died a number of years ago, one of them was suppose to come back to me, so that brings us back to the Sako when it's time to pass it on the gun will be considered a loan from one generation to the next, My Citori will likewise be handled the same way. I hope everyone out there gets to shoot and own a quality rifle or shot gun they really are worth it in the long run and not just Sako. Enjoy yours regardless of the maker.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Does young guns have a website? i cant seem to find them online. So far Lequille is the best priced, by about $100, but Hnatiuk can get Sako in as well

·
Registered
83 Posts
Just a follow up on the note by nomad. The SAKO Carbonlight looks great but the price is outrageous. $3945.00 at LeBaron in their latest fall catalogue. I don't know why anyone would buy one when it is the same rifle as the Finnlight with a different stock and priced at $2263.00. More than $1600.00 difference just for a stock. I have a Sako 85 Finnlight in 308 Win. that I purchased from LeBaron in 2007 for less than $1500.00 at that time. The price of everything has gone crazy the past few years, guns are no exception. All that aside, the Finnlight is an amazing rifle, very high quality workmanship all around and shoots great.

So nomad if you are spending all your lottery winnings on a new SAKO Carbonlight you could buy a Finnlight and a new Browning X-bolt and still have a few dollars left over for ammo, sling and a soft gun case.

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
Just a follow up on the note by nomad. The SAKO Carbonlight looks great but the price is outrageous. $3945.00 at LeBaron in their latest fall catalogue. I

So nomad if you are spending all your lottery winnings on a new SAKO Carbonlight you could buy a Finnlight and a new Browning X-bolt and still have a few dollars left over for ammo, sling and a soft gun case.
Lebaron certainly has gone crazy with prices the last couple of years. Forums I have been snooping around on are saying the carbonlite street price should come down below $3000 over next few months or so. but I still think I will go with a Kimber because I can't justify that price for that Sako. No lottery win btw. I am going to have to move some guns before I spend that kind of moola.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Try Green diamond in Bayers lake, Shea brought in a 85 Finnlight and A-7 Roughtech in 300wsm for me last week. I took the Finnlight .Shea was awesome to deal with and I think he said they had another Finnlight in Moncton.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Since we're on the topic of Sakos, there's an 80's model one just posted in the classifieds lol

1 - 20 of 28 Posts