Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
I also had 2 near cases as RB had this year, first time I broke the cardinal rule, do not walk where vegatation is growing up through the ice. This was my first experience this year as I also was following yote tracks, thinking I could get a little closer Etc, right leg went through the ice up to my N***Z, I used my solid leg to toss myself backwards out and on towards more solid ice which I had come from , good thing I was only 1 mile from my home, made it back cold and frozen but ok.

This second one had me thinking, I was about 2 hours walking distance away from home walking a nearby large lake and went through up to my armpits through the ice, no bottom to be felt, rolled out onto thicker ice where I was able to get upright again, walked safley to shore but knew I had to thaw out before venturing home. My so called waterproof matches would not light, my lighter wouldn't go either, my camera was ruined as was my GPS and other things. Now i'm thinking hard. As it would be I had in my back back , other then snares Etc.. Something I thought of making a while ago, It was a homemade strike anywhere fire starter surrounded in wax and dryer lint, sounds funny but 3 years ago with some off time I though what takes the best spark to start a fire? Charred denim. Therefore I thought Dryer lint from dryed jeans would fit the bill better then vasoline soaked cotton balls. First one I made burnt for 3 minutes. Then I thought waterproof. I then added wax to the lint, added 4 more minutes to burn time. Then thought, add Lint, Wax and a strike anywhere wood match and got 14 mins of burntime without anything added!! So this is what I think saved me that day. As my water proof matches would not light, Thought afterwards why they didn't, duh, the water soaked up the stick of the match, into the head soaking the sulphour to cause a no flame.

Now After my 2 encounters and RB's I plan to upload a video showing how to make the lint , wax, and Match stick survival outfit that I carry and I dare say, save my azz the other day.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
So far 2 of us that we know of has been stupid and admitted it. We walked on ice and was not prepared for the outcome. Luckily we both came out a little smarter.
Great idea for the video I think.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.