Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok … so I have an issue that I have never had in my life. I mounted a scope on a rifle I acquired. I have mounted many scopes in my lifetime. Had it to the range today. It’s shooting about 8 inches high at 100 yards. My problem is … I have run out of “down clicks”. Is this a scope issue, mount or both ?? Can I shim the back mount to Make it shoot lower ?? The scope is a fairly new Weaver. I don’t want to buy a new scope if I don’t have to.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Did you check the firearm placed in a gun vise with a level, and then put on the rail, confirm it's level, put on the rings, confirm still level? You want to start with that basis of rings being parallel to firearm.

·
Registered
4,238 Posts
Ok … so I have an issue that I have never had in my life. I mounted a scope on a rifle I acquired. I have mounted many scopes in my lifetime. Had it to the range today. It’s shooting about 8 inches high at 100 yards. My problem is … I have run out of “down clicks”. Is this a scope issue, mount or both ?? Can I shim the back mount to Make it shoot lower ?? The scope is a fairly new Weaver. I don’t want to buy a new scope if I don’t have to.
You sound like me. One firearm I purchased I tried five scopes, five different set of mounts and I ran out of adjustment on all. The barrel was 18.5 inches long, were the barrel threaded into the receiver it tapered downward quite a bit. I had to order a scout rail system. Mounted on the barrel, and went to the range, problem gone. Not a fan of the scout mount but the scope adjusted it in. Could be the type of gun, or mount but never had scopes be the problem yet.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is a Savage 99. My last one had see thru mounts. It was deadly. This one has low mounts. So low, that when the scope is on low power (3x) … I can see the front sight in the scope. That’s what makes me think it might be a scope issue.

·
Registered
845 Posts
It is a Savage 99. My last one had see thru mounts. It was deadly. This one has low mounts. So low, that when the scope is on low power (3x) … I can see the front sight in the scope. That’s what makes me think it might be a scope issue.
A savage 1899 requires a special set of mounts in which case the back mount is higher than the front mount. I had a 1899 308 set up this way with weaver mounts and see through rings. Yes, it was also deadly. If you have weaver mounts try a set of weaver see thru rings. If interested I may have a set of rings brand new I will donate to the cause.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the offer louisbear. I have a new set of see thru mounts... just didn’t put them on. I am going to try what Joe said. Zero my adjustments and go from there.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
"louisbear
A savage 1899 requires a special set of mounts in which case the back mount is higher than the front mount. I had a 1899 308 set up this way with weaver mounts and see through rings. Yes, it was also deadly. If you have weaver mounts try a set of weaver see thru rings. If interested I may have a set of rings brand new I will donate to the cause.

I have a Savage Model 99 and as you say the back mount is higher than the front. A new VorTex Diamondback 3-9x40 sits on top and I have no issues.

·
Registered
14,256 Posts
The knowledge here is incredible sometimes . Good job Loiusbear
OK I have to ask since no one else is
Buckmark What the hell are you doing with a lever
You didnot catch that bad deadly lever virus that thunderstick has did you:p

·
Registered
4,238 Posts
Just me but the lower the scope to the barrel the better you should be I would think. The scout rail I installed is actually lower then the where you normally attach your receiver scope mounts
The knowledge here is incredible sometimes . Good job Loiusbear
OK I have to ask since no one else is
You didnot catch that bad deadly lever virus that thunderstick has did you:p
And unfortunately there is no vaccine

·
Registered
4,238 Posts
I could not find mounts that came with the rear higher, or was able to shim. This dropped the scope down. First I ever had like this but it punches holes down the middle

Attachments

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The rear mount is higher than the front. They need to be for the 99’s. Didn’t catch the Lever bug, Joe. I still prefer my bolts. I have 2 A-Bolts and 1 X-bolt. Just something about those 99’s that I like. If you recall … I sold mine and had a bad case of sellers remorse. Picked up another one just like it. I have no intentions of hunting with it, but I still want it sighted in … just in case.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
3macs1
You did not catch that bad deadly lever virus that thunderstick has did you:p

Levers are known for cycling bullets faster than bolt actions. With that said there have been hundreds of studies that show it takes a lot of coordination to hold on target with levers so many guys can’t use them. 🤣🤣

·
Registered
845 Posts
The rear mount is higher than the front. They need to be for the 99’s. Didn’t catch the Lever bug, Joe. I still prefer my bolts. I have 2 A-Bolts and 1 X-bolt. Just something about those 99’s that I like. If you recall … I sold mine and had a bad case of sellers remorse. Picked up another one just like it. I have no intentions of hunting with it, but I still want it sighted in … just in case.
Ok. Do you have a laser bore slighter to test that the cross hairs and laser dot are able to line up on a wall approx. 20 feet away?

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I do have a laser bore slighter. I have mounted dozens of scopes over the year. Never had an issue until today.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I do have a laser bore slighter. I have mounted dozens of scopes over the year. Never had an issue until today.
I am going to assume that the mounts and rings are weavers and you bore sighted the rifle before you went to the range and the rifle shot well over eight inches high as you stated you ran out of downward adjustments at eight inches.
Two questions ; did the mounts and rings you are using come with the rifle when you bought it and was the weaver scope you are using ever used on a magnum caliber?
If the mounts came with the rifle, make sure they Are the correct weaver mounts for the savage 99. You mentioned these were very low mounts which does no correspond with the mounts required for I “ rings on a 99. Weaver # 480 14 for the rear and 480 19 for the front.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I honestly don’t know what the bases are. They were on the rifle when I bought it. I bought the scope second hand off Gunpost, and the rings were attached to It. Scope looked to be brand new. I only paid $50 for it, so no big loss if it is no good. Maybe there was a reason it was on Gunpost.

·
Administrator
10,115 Posts
20 feet for those two axis's to align isn't far enuff ! You'll need more distance than that ! 25 yds minimum

1 - 20 of 39 Posts