Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I purchased a scout scope rail system. It came with all the attaching hardware, a tube of blue loctite (which I love) and a tube of epoxy resin and harder. According to the directions the epoxy is to be applied to the underside of the mount prior to installation as a filler. Putting this on my barrel sounds like something that could be problematic down the road on removal, or result in damage to barrel, blueing etc. Has anyone ever installed one on a model 94?

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
Is this an xs scout mount? If I was going to do a scout mount on a 94 , I'd probably go with the pearson mount.

·
Administrator
9,924 Posts
Gotta be better mounts than that one that includes epoxy and locktite...sounds like a SKS kit or something...lol..I'd be staying far far away from that mount If I was you...esp with your track record of gun smiting and blue goo.
Take Ed's advice and check out the Pearson mount.

·
Administrator
9,924 Posts

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is this an xs scout mount? If I was going to do a scout mount on a 94 , I'd probably go with the pearson mount.
XS. Funny they do make different ones for rifles that do not come with a requirement for epoxy. The rail seems to sit flush on the barrel, held there by the two forward mounting holes on the receiver, and forward by a new site mount one installs in place of the rear site. That would make the rail secured by three points. It does also have a set screw at the very forward end of the rail to screw down to act as a level adjustment. I bought it as it was something that originally came with the model Winchester, 44 mag timber scout. Thinking of putting clear auto motive edge chip tape under the rail before mounting instead. It would give a little filler and keep the barrel from contact marks. The epoxy is not going on. I will have to look up Pearson. Picked this up from Brownells.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gotta be better mounts than that one that includes epoxy and locktite...sounds like a SKS kit or something...lol..I'd be staying far far away from that mount If I was you...esp with your track record of gun smiting and blue goo.
Take Ed's advice and check out the Pearson mount.
Did I forget to pass on I am opening a gunsmith shop here in the valley.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Shooting with the open sites was just fine, wanted to mount a scope for low light conditions. Tried several scope mounts to the receiver until I found out this version of rifle came requiring a scout scope mount.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you look up xs scout scope rails it really looks the same as Pearson from what I see, just no side mount to receiver. Its not the mounting points I worry about its just thinking about putting epoxy on the barrel,that makes me squirm. If Pearson does not require it I cannot see mounting the XS dry would be any different. It appears to fit flush with no low spots, seems fitted to the barrel contours. After all its only a 44. I will know after a trip to the range

·
Administrator
9,924 Posts
Not much recoil in a 44...esp a rifle !
With all the other levers you own, annnnd in much better hunting calibers.. ;) ;) I'd leave it as is..I wouldn't fek the looks of that 94 up with a scope..🤪🤪..but...ain't my 94 to fek wit...sooo to each their own I guess

·
Administrator
9,924 Posts
Is the epoxy supposed to be used for adhesion and stability ??...or just for filler to make an all point contact ??

·
Administrator
9,924 Posts
IF....IT'S ONLY to be used s a filler for the best contact....and you REALLY WANT TO USE IT....polish your receiver with KIWI neutral shoe polish...several light coats...buffed in lightly...it'll act as a release agent so you can remove the mount and have no residue left behind at all !! Same thing I use & do when I'm glass bedding any rifles

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
IF....IT'S ONLY to be used s a filler for the best contact....and you REALLY WANT TO USE IT....polish your receiver with KIWI neutral shoe polish...several light coats...buffed in lightly...it'll act as a release agent so you can remove the mount and have no residue left behind at all !! Same thing I use & do when I'm glass bedding any rifles
I don't see any deformities with how it sits on the barrel without the epoxy. It would have the same barrel shape as the Pearson which uses nothing. I really don't want a rifle marred by a rail installation and epoxy. I could cover the barrel with tape, put something on the rail to identify how good the contact area is I guess. In the installation instructions it is referenced as a filler. This is the rifle kevin that will not adjust a scope of the receiver, as they all run out of adjustment down. Tried several mounts, several scopes until I found on the Winchester site they came that way for scope mounting. I know some say leave it as open sites. I have done that a few times over the years and one ends up having to pass on a big animal because of the amount of light morning or evening. I don't like big ones walking. The Pearson set up has the groove and rear site markings to use open sites which still is a good option. I may order that also, and then decide.

·
Administrator
9,924 Posts
Me personally, I'd worry more about losing a big animal with that smaller caliber and limited knock down power than passing on one...esp in the last few seconds of daylight. Nothing any worse looking in the dark for a fleeting wounded animal that has a bigger will to escape than most humans have the will to search for.

Reactions: greybeard

·
GREYBEARD
2,875 Posts
I like my scopes as much as anyone, for my model 94, I took the scope off that came with it when I bought it used.
I bought a Williams peep sight and installed it instead.
Not only is it lightweight and has solid sight adjustments, it looks like it belongs on the 94, and it gives you a longer sight radius as well so it seem more accurate to me.
You can also take the peep site out and use it like a ghost ring.
Williams has very good customer service as well, the wrong set was ordered for me and they exchanged for the correct one ( not their fault ) right away.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Me personally, I'd worry more about losing a big animal with that smaller caliber and limited knock down power than passing on one...esp in the last few seconds of daylight. Nothing any worse looking in the dark for a fleeting wounded animal that has a bigger will to escape than most humans have the will to search for.
Not what is coming out my barrel, more like a 265 grain little 45-70, with in 100 yards nothing is going anywhere. The bears and bucks never new what hit them.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts