Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Did a dry run, secured by the bolt at the rear site dove tail, and the two forward of the receiver. Mounted a new vortex scope with long eye relief. Actually seems to fit well and with good eye relief, focus. Think I will soak in in blue loctite and try it at the range, no epoxy. Three attachment points should work. I can actually see my front site under the scope mounts. This way the rifle stays unmarked.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Ok experts chime in. I was trying to think of a product that I could use to check for clearance between the rail and the barrel when installed like plastic gauge on an engine. Not coming up with any thing I did find 3/4 wide teflon tape in the garage that fits perfectly in the groove under the rail. Going to run a strip as a barrier between the rail and barrel to aid in marking the barrel and possibly a filler when tightened down. I installed the rail and tightened it down prior and it looked to be with in adjustable limits. I did mix up some epoxy and put it on plastic last night to see if it eats plastic. It did not. I had been thinking of putting a plastic sleeve on the barrel, epoxy the bottom of the rail and install. Once hard remove the plastic sleeve and the epoxy rail would have the perfect contour and not attached to the barrel. I see on some sites folks using plastic to shim? Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Did I forget to pass on I am opening a gunsmith shop here in the valley.
Ok experts chime in. I was trying to think of a product that I could use to check for clearance between the rail and the barrel when installed like plastic gauge on an engine. Not coming up with any thing I did find 3/4 wide teflon tape in the garage that fits perfectly in the groove under the rail. Going to run a strip as a barrier between the rail and barrel to aid in marking the barrel and possibly a filler when tightened down. I installed the rail and tightened it down prior and it looked to be with in adjustable limits. I did mix up some epoxy and put it on plastic last night to see if it eats plastic. It did not. I had been thinking of putting a plastic sleeve on the barrel, epoxy the bottom of the rail and install. Once hard remove the plastic sleeve and the epoxy rail would have the perfect contour and not attached to the barrel. I see on some sites folks using plastic to shim? Thoughts?
Would a product like barring blue be of any use . it is used to check mating surfaces of bearings and other contact points .

·
Administrator
9,928 Posts
I'd just use another rifle !!!!!!!!! 🥴🥴

·
Registered
2,389 Posts

I am guessing the epoxy is meant as stiffener / vibration damper . as you are bridging the barrel receiver joint . I think I would pass on the epoxy an be testing at the range as mounted .

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
View attachment 96325
I am guessing the epoxy is meant as stiffener / vibration damper . as you are bridging the barrel receiver joint . I think I would pass on the epoxy an be testing at the range as mounted .
Yes, one could only try it at the range with out. As I said earlier right now the underside of the rail I ran a strip of teflon tape. As this is a trial I did not want to mark the barrel. Secured it good at the two holes on the receiver and the one on the rear site. Had great difficulty yesterday trying to find scope rings that would come back far enough to get proper eye relief, even with a long eye relief scope. A friend had a set of offset tactical which I mounted and the scope is as far back as I can go now, because the rail is drilled for mounting to the receiver at the end. I cannot go back any further because of this for adjustment. I mounted a vortex 2x7x32. Not totally happy. On the last two power settings the scope eye relief fades. Good up to a 5.5 possibly 6 power setting. These are a collector rifle, if I am not happy I will sell, as the set or separated.

·
Administrator
9,928 Posts
Yes, one could only try it at the range with out. As I said earlier right now the underside of the rail I ran a strip of teflon tape. As this is a trial I did not want to mark the barrel. Secured it good at the two holes on the receiver and the one on the rear site. Had great difficulty yesterday trying to find scope rings that would come back far enough to get proper eye relief, even with a long eye relief scope. A friend had a set of offset tactical which I mounted and the scope is as far back as I can go now, because the rail is drilled for mounting to the receiver at the end. I cannot go back any further because of this for adjustment. I mounted a vortex 2x7x32. Not totally happy. On the last two power settings the scope eye relief fades. Good up to a 5.5 possibly 6 power setting. These are a collector rifle, if I am not happy I will sell, as the set or separated.
The most rationale thing you said since the thread start ;) ;)

21 - 29 of 29 Posts