Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shimming, not something I wanted to do but I have played with a rifle (Winchester Timber Scout) that runs out of elevation with even trying multiple scopes now for two years on and off. I bought a scout scope set up but it honestly was hidious. It came with epoxy to smear on the barrel etc. That was not happening. I installed it without but frankly it was not very appealing. I now have considered trying shimming the rear mount. What's a good shim, how thick, could one use teflon tape? You tube suggests 004 thou there abouts for shim, not to thick as it will kink a scope. Who out there has shimmed a scope when all else fails? I looked around for shim stock at the hard ware and automotive sections but found nothing thin.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Have you tried different rings/mounts? or even installing a rail on this rifle?

I feel shimming is a thing of the past, with the options of rings/bases/rails and proper scopes and today's machining tolerances I can't understand the need for it.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts

Notice the weaver scope and mounts he uses. This rifle is designed for a long eye relief scope therefore it mounts on a rail way out in front, not on top of level bolt mechanism.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
If you lookup weaver scopes ,Weaver 4K classic series, then click on scout model you will notice it has an eye relief of 9.45 inches. Trying to mount a non scout model scope on this rifle will be a problem.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you tried different rings/mounts? or even installing a rail on this rifle?

I feel shimming is a thing of the past, with the options of rings/bases/rails and proper scopes and today's machining tolerances I can't understand the need for it.
Tried 5 scopes, multiple Winchester mounts, and a scout rail. In the pic it is the top rifle with a scout mount. The rifle has a 18.5 inch barrel, a Winchester 44 Mag lever action. Being a lever, it cannot take a full rail because it would then block ejection of the casings. The rifle comes factory drilled but the barrel rapidly drops of from the receiver so much that it makes any scope unable to zero in elevation. Shimming is the only option I see at this point.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Notice the weaver scope and mounts he uses. This rifle is designed for a long eye relief scope therefore it mounts on a rail way out in front, not on top of level bolt mechanism.
Yes that is the same that I configured mine too, the kit involved applying two part epoxy to the barrel, something I was not willing to do. The rifle also comes factory drilled to mount a scope on the receiver.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Tried 5 scopes, multiple Winchester mounts, and a scout rail. In the pic it is the top rifle with a scout mount. The rifle has a 18.5 inch barrel, a Winchester 44 Mag lever action. Being a lever, it cannot take a full rail because it would then block ejection of the casings. The rifle comes factory drilled but the barrel rapidly drops of from the receiver so much that it makes any scope unable to zero in elevation. Shimming is the only option I see at this point.
Have you tried a scout scope?

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you lookup weaver scopes ,Weaver 4K classic series, then click on scout model you will notice it has an eye relief of 9.45 inches. Trying to mount a non scout model scope on this rifle will be a problem.
The scope mounted on this rifle is a scout scope, not the issue. I want to mount a scope on the receiver which it is drilled for but every scope runs out of elevation due to how much the barrel drops away from the receiver.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Now you guys laugh, today I bought a cheap aluminum roast pan to cut a shim out to put on the rear scope mount. I will then sight the rifle on a target and see if the scope adjustment will allow me to zero.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If that's a scout scope it's mounted way too far back.
x2
Your going to have to tell Vortex they sent me the wrong one, its marked as such :) It sits at least five inches forward what a regular scope would. Its a short rifle. The scope is not my problem. I am not going forward with the scout scope rail needing epoxy. I installed regular two piece scope mounts this afternoon, then a regular scope. It took a 20 thou shim on the rear mount to get the scope where it does not run out of adjustment. Odd little gun. If they drilled the receiver to take a scope you think you could mount and zero one. I might have to just install a set of glow sights.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
You stated above The scope mounted on this rifle is a scout scope, not the issue. I want to mount a scope on the receiver which it is drilled for but every scope runs out of elevation due to how much the barrel drops away from the receiver.
So now I am totally confused. You either have a long eye relief scope ( scout ) or a normal eye relief scope mounted on the rifle at this very moment. I am going to assume (which I know is something one should never do) that you are trying to use a regular eye relief scope on a gun designed for a long eye relief scope. I am thinking that the set of tapped holes closest to your eyes is actually drilled for a set of ghost sights rather than for regular scope mounts. If you are putting a mount in the ghost sight holes it is going to be trial and error.
You’ll never know if you do not try. Good luck with it at the range

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You stated above The scope mounted on this rifle is a scout scope, not the issue. I want to mount a scope on the receiver which it is drilled for but every scope runs out of elevation due to how much the barrel drops away from the receiver.
So now I am totally confused. You either have a long eye relief scope ( scout ) or a normal eye relief scope mounted on the rifle at this very moment. I am going to assume (which I know is something one should never do) that you are trying to use a regular eye relief scope on a gun designed for a long eye relief scope. I am thinking that the set of tapped holes closest to your eyes is actually drilled for a set of ghost sights rather than for regular scope mounts. If you are putting a mount in the ghost sight holes it is going to be trial and error.
You’ll never know if you do not try. Good luck with it at the range
The rifle up until today was configured with a Vortex long eye relief scope. Several regular scopes were tried prior to putting the scout scope and scout mount on. The scout rail required epoxy to be put on the barrel on installation which I did not do as I did not want to butcher the rifle. I did not like the scout scope configuration so I wanted to mount a regular scope on the factory drilled receiver holes. Knowing I tried several scopes in the past and they all ran out of adjustment the only other thing to try was to shim the rear mount. Its a very short rifle, being a 44 there is not much of a receiver or distance between the receiver holes. I think you your fixed on what scope was on the rifle, it is not the issue I am trying to address. All regular scopes mounted on the receiver run out of elevation. The amount the rear sight has to be shimmed appears to be at least 20 thou. Just trying to find out has anyone done this, shimmed the mount it seems like a lot to shim, putting pressure unevenly across the scope. There are multiple videos on the net of this having to be done on certain rifles because the barrel droops quickly after the receiver. On winchester lever action rifles you have four holes drilled on the receiver, two to the rear are across from each other, the two in the front of the receiver are one behind the other. In this case that is the normal configuration for a model 94.

·
Administrator
10,924 Posts
TS...you should take up fishing. You seem to have no problems finding a can of worms lmao...I know...I know..Just add it to your sell pile and move it along....problem solved !

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
TS...you should take up fishing. You seem to have no problems finding a can of worms lmao...I know...I know..Just add it to your sell pile and move it along....problem solved !
Yes I know Kevin, it comes from owning too many levers. The problem is it is a rare little gun. Way to many times I see guns butchered by people, sights and screws nicked and gouged on removal. Scouts scope sett ups do nothing for a rifle. There is a guy in the US who makes scope rails for levers, Doc Pearson no drill rails. I may order through him.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts