Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
GREYBEARD
3,221 Posts
I have never shimmed a scope but a have used the Burris system with the adjustable offset inserts.
They use inserts with different sizes to raise or lower the front or back of the scope.
Because they have a rounded outside that fits in the same shape in the ring they will stay in the same plane or axis unlike a shim which puts the rings out of axis to each other and will apply torque to the scope tube unless you lap the rings.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Agree 100%
I looked for a scope that had more elevation, I found none. I looked for mounts that were adjustable, found none. I have about 5 winchester mounts to try, none worked, 5 scopes all ran out of adjustment. No matter what the configuration I tried, got the same results. The scout scope worked but as I said to get a true base they wanted epoxy smeared on the barrel on installation. That would greatly devalue the gun. I managed to successfully make and mold a nice aluminum shim which I laid in the rear mount where the scope sits. It is not seen and by gradually tightening this am it looks like I may have fixed the problem. A trip to the range coming up. Hope fully any stress on the scope tube does not cause it to stick.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I have never shimmed a scope but a have used the Burris system with the adjustable offset inserts.
They use inserts with different sizes to raise or lower the front or back of the scope.
Because they have a rounded outside that fits in the same shape in the ring they will stay in the same plane or axis unlike a shim which puts the rings out of axis to each other and will apply torque to the scope tube unless you lap the rings.
When it comes to such a short rifle and angle eject it becomes very hard to what one can use. I do not have the options that a bolt action rifle would have with rails as many would block ejection.

·
Administrator
10,924 Posts
The AE (( angle eject )) was added to the XTR line up so that scopes could be TOP receiver mounted...some rails are made with a recessed lip on the eject side. Savage has them for some of their L/A receivers..you might get by with a rail of that design...esp with AE on that rifle

·
GREYBEARD
3,221 Posts
My Burris rings are not mounted on a rail, they are mounted on regular Burris/Leupold two piece bases.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
The AE (( angle eject )) was added to the XTR line up so that scopes could be TOP receiver mounted...some rails are made with a recessed lip on the eject side. Savage has them for some of their L/A receivers..you might get by with a rail of that design...esp with AE on that rifle
I have two piece low mounts that Winchester uses and many of there rifles but I run into obstacles like how much travel I have between the mounts and the turrets to get proper eye relief and the scope mounted low will also make it difficult to get ones thumb on the hammer. Its the reason for using higher see tru scope mounts. These small rifles like a 44 do not have a lot of wiggle room. I have never seen a one piece rail that mounts on the receiver for an AE Winchester. I am fascinated with these little guns. A hand load 265 gr bullet has taken quite a few bear and deer. I have 5 different models, all I love carrying to the woods. Great knock down within 100 yards.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
My Burris rings are not mounted on a rail, they are mounted on regular Burris/Leupold two piece bases.
Do you have a pic or a place you got them?. Maybe they would work on the Winchester two piece mounts? I have several low two piece mounts on hand. I would like something better than a shim.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I had a bad experience mounting a new scope on my MkIV Enfield a couple years ago. The first (new) scope I tried would run out of adjustment. So, I bought a used scope, mounted it and had no issue at all getting it dialed in with lots of adjustment left over. Even though the scope looks like a legit Bushnell, I suspect its a Chinese knockoff and 100% crap. My step son is going to try it on his Savage .308 but I don't hold out much hope.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I had a bad experience mounting a new scope on my MkIV Enfield a couple years ago. The first (new) scope I tried would run out of adjustment. So, I bought a used scope, mounted it and had no issue at all getting it dialed in with lots of adjustment left over. Even though the scope looks like a legit Bushnell, I suspect its a Chinese knockoff and 100% crap. My step son is going to try it on his Savage .308 but I don't hold out much hope.
I had one scope out of the five or so that came close, it was an older scope, but still did not have enough. I think most scopes have like 140 clicks stop to stop. Had a few rifles that came close to running out over the years but not like this one. Its kind of understandable seeing how the barrel drop away from the receiver. The scopes I tried went on other rifles with no issues.

·
Administrator
10,924 Posts
I had one scope out of the five or so that came close, it was an older scope, but still did not have enough. I think most scopes have like 140 clicks stop to stop. Had a few rifles that came close to running out over the years but not like this one. Its kind of understandable seeing how the barrel drop away from the receiver. The scopes I tried went on other rifles with no issues.
(( Repeat ))The scopes I tried went on other rifles with no issues !!!!!
Says it all right there bud...wink..wink..nudge..nudge...lol

·
GREYBEARD
3,221 Posts
Below is the importer for Burris products for Canada.
Their site lists Hnatiuks as a dealer.
I copied the description of the signature rings to show they can work with Weaver rings as well as the ones I mentioned.
You would also need the posi align offset ring set.
I hope this helps.

Stoeger Canada (1990) Ltd.
1010 Thornton Road South
Oshawa, Ontario Canada L1J 7E2
Local: 905-436-9077
Toll Free: 1-800-263-1945
Burris Signature Rings set
  • Available for all types of optics and bases
  • Solid steel rings, ideal for hunting
  • Pos-Align Inserts offer tremendous gripping power and durability and will not damage the scope finish
  • Available in 1-in. and 30 mm sizes
  • Works with standard, dovetail, double-dovetail, and Weaver-style bases

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Below is the importer for Burris products for Canada.
Their site lists Hnatiuks as a dealer.
I copied the description of the signature rings to show they can work with Weaver rings as well as the ones I mentioned.
You would also need the posi align offset ring set.
I hope this helps.

Stoeger Canada (1990) Ltd.
1010 Thornton Road South
Oshawa, Ontario Canada L1J 7E2
Local: 905-436-9077
Toll Free: 1-800-263-1945
Burris Signature Rings set
  • Available for all types of optics and bases
  • Solid steel rings, ideal for hunting
  • Pos-Align Inserts offer tremendous gripping power and durability and will not damage the scope finish
  • Available in 1-in. and 30 mm sizes
  • Works with standard, dovetail, double-dovetail, and Weaver-style bases
Thanks for that info, I will check them out.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts