Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Shock and Awe written by Henry Maitland

Carefully, I made my way onto a little grassy point that jutted out approximately twenty meters into the calm water. I proceeded to make three long mournful cow calls, and a short fourth call that sounded more like the high pitched whine of a dirt bike.

Fifteen minutes later I shuffled down the dirt embankment on to an old haul road and walked over to where a member of our hunting party had set up a lawn chair. He was situated behind some trees that allowed some cover while still providing him a shooting window should a moose come to the calls I had just made on the grassy point about one hundred meters away. He had previously pulled a groin muscle so was not very mobile. After making sure he was all set, I turned to a second member of our party and said, “Are ya ready to go?” He nodded and as we turned toward the truck, he pointed way up the road and you could see the hunter orange jacket of the third member of our group on top of a huge outcropping. He was overlooking an old skidder road that lead into the centre of a large clear cut. The plan was for me to drop the second hunter off half way up the road so that he could make his way around to the lower end of the clear cut and I would drive up past the man on the outcropping and hunt the upper portion of the same clear cut. We were organizing gear in the back of the truck when the report from a high powered rifle filled the still morning air. Immediately I was ticked off. “He knows the rules. No shooting grouse until lunch time!” I exclaimed. “He’s gone!” my buddy said with urgency. I looked up the road towards the rock outcropping and the man wearing the hunter orange jacket was gone. The thoughts and images that went through my mind were not pleasant and for a few seconds we just stood there and looked at each other. We were both thinking the same thing. Automatically, our first aid training kicked in and we were flying up the road expecting the worst. Just as we came to a stop our hunting buddy stepped out from behind the big rock and pointed in the direction of the old skidder road.
We put our hearts back in our chest and shut the truck down. He walked maybe twenty meters and then stood still with his rifle pointed to the ground. To our surprise he had shot a very nice bull moose.

“ Boys, that moose was headed straight for the water,” said the shooter. “I can’t believe it all happened so fast.” After all the excitement settled down, we got to work. Once the animal was skinned and quartered it was time for some lunch.

”Told ya I didn’t need a scope to kill a moose,” boasted the shooter. The day before I was suggesting that maybe he should consider putting a scope on his Lee Enfield 303 British rifle. “ Well at that distance it would be like shooting a barn door from inside with the door closed”, I replied.

Even though the scenario unfolded with a nice moose, I had a difficult time shaking off the dread felt in anticipation of a much different outcome.

Even to this day, the thought of this hunt creates a knot in the pit of my stomach.

· Registered
2,973 Posts
Another great read

My wife suggested that i compile all the good stories in a book, think of the readers across north America that would buy it.
She said i could even go to Newfoundland and get my moose.

· Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am compiling stories by location, For example: Oxford House stories, Ignace stories, earlier In life Nova Scotia stories and finally Alaska fishing trip stories.

· Registered
1,162 Posts
Another great story Louisbear. I need photos when I give an account of a hunt. It's a lazy way to show what happened when you have limited writing skills.

You certainly don't need photos. I wish I had your narrative skills. Whenever I start reading your accounts, I find myself immersed in the whole situation and can’t wait to see what ensues. It’s like a chapter in a good book. Thanks so much for posting...!!

· Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Another great story Louisbear. I need photos when I give an account of a hunt. It's a lazy way to show what happened when you have limited writing skills.

You certainly don't need photos. I wish I had your narrative skills. Whenever I start reading your accounts, I find myself immersed in the whole situation and can’t wait to see what ensues. It’s like a chapter in a good book. Thanks so much for posting...!!
Dave, most of my stories are before I owned a cell phone. I never took a camera on hunting trips but once in a while recall buying one of those Kodak cameras in the little yellow box for a few fly in fishing trips.
The “brave new world” of digital cameras and instant communication and the speed at which the technology progresses still amazes me. Do you remember the cartoon character Dick Tracy in the comic section of the Saturday newspaper? He had a wrist watch he would talk into and well…….Who knew …

1 - 9 of 9 Posts