Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Developed in the interim between the Mosin-Nagant and the AK-47, Sergei Simonov's semi-automatic carbine had a mere 10-round internal box magazine, an improvement from the fundamentally 19th-century design of the five-round, bolt-action Mosin. The SKS saw limited use in the Soviet military beginning in 1949 - and stuck around primarily in the hands of ceremonial, border and reserve units. Because China produced so many - and exported so many - the carbine has become a cheap, popular hunting and sporting weapon in the West.

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/russian-rifle-just-might-be-cockroach-guns-meet-sks-44982

·
Administrator
10,120 Posts
HA HA HA....They don't get much fuglier than an sks !! ((don't even warrant the use of capitals...lol)

·
Administrator
10,120 Posts
bottom line has to be $$$.

There's ship loads of the corrosive old war surplus ammo around, plus some dirty factories still producing containers full of it, that, and with a value of less than 200 bucks...it scratches the itch for many.

Has all the beauty of a BIG unpopped pimple on ones nose...LOL

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
They make a great plinking gun with a red dot on them .Are they a good looking gun , no! , do they work reliably yes .

·
Registered
261 Posts
I wish I got one when they were a lot cheaper few years back. Heck I see the latest batch of mosin are for sale for 300 ish.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Picked up a Mosin many years ago , it's sat in the safe ever since , never bothered with it, paid $20 for it back then and I'm going back more than 25 years ago , before they were popular for shooting , those ones around then we're just basically hunted with and not much else , it's a ugly thing too full wood and all . Then again nothing pretty about a all original Sweedish Mauser 6.5x55 either but it's one sweet shooting rifle . Guess like Kevin said Cheap ammo and great for plinking .

·
Registered
112 Posts
I shot these when I was in the army, I liked it for what it is, the AK47 was very rattly on full auto but AK74 was a real beauty very robust. I like the bullet they use more knock down power than the 5.56.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I love my SKS. Cheap, well made bush gun. Comparable to the 30/30 round for hunting deer.

Lots of mods that are inexpensive. Cheap as dirt ammo.

As said above also loads of fun for pinking!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts