Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

First off, I hope I am not a nuisance to any of you! I have some questions I was hoping someone could answer - I do not hunt, I am actually a veterinary assistant student. I am looking for skulls, mainly to study but also I think they're cool and I'd like to start collecting them.

I found this message board on google, and I am located in Dartmouth. I really don't mean to be bothersome, but I figured if anyone would know this it would be you guys!

I'm not entirely sure if people consider skulls / bones garbage, if they sell them, if they keep them. I'm wondering what is done with the bones after the animal is dead? If anyone could give me some insight, that'd be amazing. Also, if people sell them what their price range may be.

I hope I didn't bother any of you, thank you for your time!

- Shanise.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Hey There
As a trapper all of the animals I get are Skinned and then the bodies of the coyotes and the otters got to DNR but the rest are simply recycled back to nature in the form of bait piles. I am sure it would be no problem for me to save you some skulls if you wanted some, No charge.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey There
As a trapper all of the animals I get are Skinned and then the bodies of the coyotes and the otters got to DNR but the rest are simply recycled back to nature in the form of bait piles. I am sure it would be no problem for me to save you some skulls if you wanted some, No charge.
Oooooh!! That would be soooo amazing! I don't know what DNR is but it'd be really cool to have both a coyote and otter skull! Oh thank you thank you! I will message you my email!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't think that's the case with animal skulls - a lot of curio / antique shops sell both skulls and taxidermy and you don't need a permit when buying them.. If it were a human skull, that would be a bigger deal! I will check with the DNR though, thanks!

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I don't think that's the case with animal skulls - a lot of curio / antique shops sell both skulls and taxidermy and you don't need a permit when buying them.. If it were a human skull, that would be a bigger deal! I will check with the DNR though, thanks!
You dont know DNR and how screwed up they can be. Way Out There will look after you. You will not be able to get an otter skull as they have to be turned in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.