Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Administrator
10,807 Posts
Saw a few grouse the first of the season...none as of late tho ! Rabbits are pretty well null and void where we hunt. We have a local that really keeps em in check. Says he snared over 125 last season...he also says that they don't seem to plentiful this year...damm coyotes :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

· Registered
2,074 Posts
Saw a few grouse the first of the season...none as of late tho ! Rabbits are pretty well null and void where we hunt. We have a local that really keeps em in check. Says he snared over 125 last season...he also says that they don't seem to plentiful this year...damm coyotes :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Yeah F those guys, man I barely see a rabbit, like honesty would it hurt if there was a reasonable limit on rabbits like 10 per day and XX in your possession.

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
125???a year??Jeeeze thats more than i harvested in my lifetime.Seeing very little coyote sign this year also which is odd.Maybe cause there isnt much feed for them?

· Registered
905 Posts
125???a year??Jeeeze thats more than i harvested in my lifetime.Seeing very little coyote sign this year also which is odd.Maybe cause there isnt much feed for them?
I agree. I can't imagine a family eating that many rabbits in a year. Not much wonder there aren't many in that area. Probably ain't many bobcats or coyotes left either since there's not much left for them to eat! :)
On the topic of coyotes, I have noticed there don't seem to be any around this year in Goffs where I'm hunting. I've seen sign and heard them in past years but not a thing this year. I expected to catch one on the trail cameras but not a one.
Also, curiously, I've noticed very, very few squirrels in my area this year. A few chipmunks but only maybe one squirrel.

· Registered
7,526 Posts
Seeing lots of grouse actually got my limit two days in a row ( different areas ) also shot a few pheasants. As for rabbits I’ve seen one all season while hunting. Coyotes in one area are unreal so probably a big reason there are no rabbits, coyotes were cleaning up our apples constantly and had them on camera a lot early but after shooting two; maybe three cause I fired at at one on the run; but had fur in the scope when I squeezed; they stayed away from our bait sites; seemed to be more coyotes then deer and probably why we haven’t seen many yearlings this year in that area.

· Registered
7,526 Posts
Lol like a guy I worked with; he would go down east trout fishing at toadfish run and catch 100+ trout a day. After two yrs he was complying there were no trout there any more.

· Registered
7,526 Posts
Yeah F those guys, man I barely see a rabbit, like honesty would it hurt if there was a reasonable limit on rabbits like 10 per day and XX in your possession.
Should be a limit on all fish & game with the exception of coyotes!!!

· Registered
72 Posts
I have read several articles recently of studies that were carried out on the effects of ticks on snowshoe hares, it's not good. They can affect the nervous system which can cause paralysis, also, several ticks on a young bunny can cause anemia, leading to death. Coyotes have been in NS for year's, we would still manage to get 6-8 hares each time out with the dog. Ticks seem to be everywhere now, it's ridiculous and the rabbit population has never been so low. We were out last Fri to a spot that was golden several years ago, got out of the truck, walked maybe 100-150 yards in the fresh snow, didn't see a track. The hound did manage to pick up a few over a 3 day period but like I said, it's not good.

· Registered
2,962 Posts
grouse numbers seemed higher than last cpl years. Rabbits still appear to be low, at least areas where I go. There are a few "pockets" of good habitat where there seems to be a few around.
Thinking, due to Fiona blowdowns, there will be lots of feed and places to hide for the next while.

· Administrator
10,807 Posts
No shortage of yotes where we are. Had a pack of 5 or 6 (according to all the tracks in the new snow) about 40 yds from my blind during the early pre dawn light. Couple of fairly small track compared to the others...family unit I'm assuming ?

· Registered
3,895 Posts
Seen 1 Rabbit only on trail cam at the deer bait , lots of Grouse around , coyotes are down where I'm at and Bobcats are still in good #s ,

as for question of choice between my old .410 single I gave my dad yrs ago ( RIP ) or my 20 gauge pump , lately got the itch to buy a 28 gauge semi .

· Registered
17,701 Posts
Seen 1 Rabbit only on trail cam at the deer bait , lots of Grouse around , coyotes are down where I'm at and Bobcats are still in good #s ,

as for question of choice between my old .410 single I gave my dad yrs ago ( RIP ) or my 20 gauge pump , lately got the itch to buy a 28 gauge semi .
Now you are talking :) Remington stopped making them I think but they say those weatherby sa08's work well and reasonably priced

· Registered
277 Posts
I've seen about a dozen grouse this year and a couple rabbits. Got two grouse in the freezer. Last year I only got ten rabbits total using snares. And only 12 grouse. Where I used to drive for grouse is getting built up and with gas up I haven't gone back to the place suggested here.
I hate hearing stories about over hunting, over fishing, or wasting harvests.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts