Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was given a few trout to smoke and decided today was a good day to do it
I filleted yesterday and put them in a citrus solution for the night. Today i fired up the smoker , dried the fillets then rolled them in brown sugar before placing them in the smoker with apple and mesquite wood chips.

I also did up some chicken so i can make more smoked chicken salad.

I sat back 90min and waited, adding more wood chips 20min before taking everything out. Initial taste tests have me holding incredible candied trout.
Food Ingredient Fast food Deep frying Recipe

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I’ve been meaning for years now to smoke mackerel. But ever since I planned to I haven’t had a chance to catch them! Haha. Hopefully this summer I can get down to city with kids and try catch some.

I made pork chops on the smoker the other night and last weekend made a batch of smoked beans. So good.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Has anyone ever tried smoking a deer heart? A friend of mine smoked a moose heart and it was delicious.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I’ve not really smoked deer heart, but I have fried in cast pan like steak. Very good. I had never kept the heart before, Never ate that growing up. But after watching so much Meat Eater I was determined to try so I kept it from my dads deer couple years ago. Let’s just say it will never be left in gut pile again if it’s intact.

·
Administrator
10,989 Posts
Didn't have enuff to give one...what little we had...I used a razor blade...chopped it up on the mirror then snorted it !!!🤣🤣...it was missing the maple syrup

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Did he smoke the moose heart whole?
I think he cut into portions .I will ask next time I chat with him. I think you could do a deer heart whole as I know he had that heart in the smoker for quite a while. The smoker was a converted refrigerator and several racks of lake trout and northern pike went through on lower racks before the heart was done.

It is amazing what a person can learn from the World Wide Web

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
That’s an interesting way to cook. I only say that because the instructions I first learned for preparing it said to open it up and remove all the tough stringy tendons inside. Maybe smoking them a little slower keeps them from getting tough.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Didn't have enuff to give one...what little we had...I used a razor blade...chopped it up on the mirror then snorted it !!!🤣🤣...it was missing the maple syrup
Yup as i thought hes addicted to candied trout, half a fillet and it wasn't enough. Im sure ill have a few going in the smoker in june if i can get a few before hand, maybe after he snorts 3 or 4 hell have an opinion.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
What type of smoker you running superslickie .a buddy of mine has one that came from crappy tire 20 years ago . it is basicly a sheet metal chip pan with an electric element . it has a 2 ft tall cylinder 16 inches in diameter that sits on top that holds 2 racks .with a cover for the top of the cylinder . his method is to put a metal bowl filled with water and onion soup mix on the bottom rack . A 9 lb boneless pork loin rolled in your favorite spices loaded on the top rack . then proceed to drink beer for the next 10 hours and attend to the smoker . it is without a dough the best pork loin I have ever eaten .

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I started out with a homemade electric, plywood box with a stove element. Then my wife got me a 2 rack charcoal smoker that i used for years. I now use a propane unit that goes where i can go. Its a 4 shelf 2 door beast that has cranked out some very good stuff. Ive taken it to Stanley range for the hwwa events over the last few years. A 20lb tank will last about 20hrs running 250-275.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Cmon now, have you seen kevin??? He loves his food and probably wont choose cause he'll only get half as much in the future. Good, bad, or indifferent, it certainly disappears fast at the hwwa events i have made it, so fast at one event i didnt get a taste.

·
Administrator
10,989 Posts
That's an easy one boyz......it was that... BIG...ORANGE... FULL ...FILLET, That was the winner...hands down !!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts