Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
41 - 60 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
15,752 Posts
Just for the record, I did it for shitz and giggles. I do not use the saw and I could care less if it even runs. It surprised the heck out of me that it even started.
Chain saws are something I will not work on. Never have they have a mind of their own
Pull the crap out of them for hours and cannot find anything wrong walk away and come back and it will start
I hate them. 2 cycle String trimmers are a close second

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
I have a small Huskie saw. Sometimes I pull on it 30 times .... sometimes 2 or 3 times. Sometimes I want to throw in the lake ... sometimes I could never part with it. I know where you're coming from as far as saws go.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Saws can be a pain in the ass for sure! I have a Poulan that can be a real bitch to start and keep running.

I use fuel stabilizer. Never have any problem with the mowers. They're old but start very easy and work great. I don't worry much about the age of gas but I rarely have it more than a few months anyway. A friend who is a mechanic told me to use premium fuel because it has little or no ethanol and will last a lot longer so I started doing that this year.

·
Registered
15,752 Posts
Saws can be a pain in the ass for sure! I have a Poulan that can be a real bitch to start and keep running.

I use fuel stabilizer. Never have any problem with the mowers. They're old but start very easy and work great. I don't worry much about the age of gas but I rarely have it more than a few months anyway. A friend who is a mechanic told me to use premium fuel because it has little or no ethanol and will last a lot longer so I started doing that this year.
Agree with your friend 100%

·
Registered
920 Posts
Ya need to buy a stihI. I bought a brand new husqvarna chain saw and returned it within two weeks. Left a puddle of chain oil on floor where it was stored. Checked it all over and things seemed tight and all sealed but when it got warm it would leak. Replaced it with Stihl. I used this saw every spring to do up next years wood, approx seven chords for ten years. Changed the plug at least once a season, cleaned the air filter and removed all the saw dust frequently when sharpening the chain. Put one carb kit in it during that period if I recall. This is the only power saw and trimmers etc? I will buy now.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
I'm useless when it comes to small engines, so depend on people that know to keep mower, snowblower, chainsaws, outboard, etc running.
my small engine guys health took a turn for the worse a cpl years back - found this guy on the internet. His info helped me out a cpl times...

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Not even worth a comment other than what type of red seal did you say you have but not shocked. Thank god Justin takes care of you :p
Joe why would you be so negative towards someone who has good luck with small engines.
Do you really think he would post something if it wasn’t true. Back off a bit.

·
Registered
15,752 Posts
Joe why would you be so negative towards someone who has good luck with small engines.
Do you really think he would post something if it wasn’t true. Back off a bit.
Good luck he has had nothing more and yes I know the difference when we are talking engines and want to share how to take care of them properly not luck
But hey what would I know only worked on 1000's of them over the last 50 years
Thought you were a mechanic if you are you know what I said is the truth on this subject. I would love to find any snipper that starts on one pull let alone one with 7 year old gas in it PLEASE. Jesus could not even make that happen
I quote

I am still using oil-gas mix in my 2-stoke snipper that I mixed 7 years ago starts on first pull.

NOT true?? Yes I do. We have some history here and suggest you don't get in the middle of it. He is the one always poking me not me him
Butt sore at me from way back and just won't let it go. Poke I bite plain and simple
I love you too

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I guess I am lying too when I say the power was out here Friday night, and the gas can I filled in July and poured into my generator and had it start first pull couldn't happen either cause the internet tells me gas goes bad after 3 months.

·
Registered
15,752 Posts
I guess I am lying too when I say the power was out here Friday night, and the gas can I filled in July and poured into my generator and had it start first pull couldn't happen either cause the internet tells me gas goes bad after 3 months.
Not 7 years dude you have any idea what that would even look like and is totally broken down and lost combustability. . It would not even flow especially in the small openings in a 2 cycle carb
Do some research on gas made to day don't take my internet support post as gospel
Today's gas is terrible for long term storage
But carry on

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'm useless when it comes to small engines, so depend on people that know to keep mower, snowblower, chainsaws, outboard, etc running.
my small engine guys health took a turn for the worse a cpl years back - found this guy on the internet. His info helped me out a cpl times...

I've used his advice on my chainsaw! He seems to know what he's talking about.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Little different animal and of course different carb altogether but read the manual for storing the ATV Fill gas tank completely and DO NOT ADD STABILIZER.
Hey 3D, I think the Honda manual also recommends low 80 octane gas too, stay away from high test it doesn't need it.

Funny thinking back 20 years ago I had a 1980's bike and silly me I was putting high test in it and it always had trouble starting, I wonder if it actually needed 80 octane or even leaded gas lol. Now for the race bike I had needed 90+ or race fuel.

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Hey 3D, I think the Honda manual also recommends low 80 octane gas too, stay away from high test it doesn't need it.

Funny thinking back 20 years ago I had a 1980's bike and silly me I was putting high test in it and it always had trouble starting, I wonder if it actually needed 80 octane or even leaded gas lol. Now for the race bike I had needed 90+ or race fuel.
Yes just regular unleaded fuel.
I don’t understand why anyone would use a higher octane rated fuel then the manufacturer recommends but lots do. If my car manual says use regular then that’s what I use but many believe using high test it better. Guess what it will void your warranty!!!

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Good luck he has had nothing more and yes I know the difference when we are talking engines and want to share how to take care of them properly not luck
But hey what would I know only worked on 1000's of them over the last 50 years
Thought you were a mechanic if you are you know what I said is the truth on this subject. I would love to find any snipper that starts on one pull let alone one with 7 year old gas in it PLEASE. Jesus could not even make that happen
I quote

I am still using oil-gas mix in my 2-stoke snipper that I mixed 7 years ago starts on first pull.

NOT true?? Yes I do. We have some history here and suggest you don't get in the middle of it. He is the one always poking me not me him
Butt sore at me from way back and just won't let it go. Poke I bite plain and simple
I love you too
WAS a mechanic .
Worked on a few engines myself but only a few 2 strokes never liked them and never had good luck with them
In this instance he simply posted what he did/ does and you jumped all over him so maybe your holding a grudge. I love getting in the middle of trouble!
I had an 84 K car put 140,000 plus on it and it still had the original engine oil in it!
AND JESUS CAN MAKE ANYTHING HAPPEN

Reactions: beaverhunter

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Few times I forgot to drain the snowblower but I would just plug it in and hold the electric start down until it started, usually backfired a couple times but always started. But one of the prongs broke off the electric starter. New starter is like $200 + so........
Joe how do I fix it?

·
GREYBEARD
3,067 Posts
Ya need to buy a stihI. I bought a brand new husqvarna chain saw and returned it within two weeks. Left a puddle of chain oil on floor where it was stored. Checked it all over and things seemed tight and all sealed but when it got warm it would leak. Replaced it with Stihl. I used this saw every spring to do up next years wood, approx seven chords for ten years. Changed the plug at least once a season, cleaned the air filter and removed all the saw dust frequently when sharpening the chain. Put one carb kit in it during that period if I recall. This is the only power saw and trimmers etc? I will buy now.
I agree Stihl products are excellent.

·
GREYBEARD
3,067 Posts

Steve knows his stuff and is entertaining to watch.

·
Registered
15,752 Posts
Few times I forgot to drain the snowblower but I would just plug it in and hold the electric start down until it started, usually backfired a couple times but always started. But one of the prongs broke off the electric starter. New starter is like $200 + so........
Joe how do I fix it?
Cannot help unless I know the engine make? model , HP and approx year
Some you can weld on new tabs some replace just the plate and some pretty much toss

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Joe how do I fix it?
I know how to fux that, i got a starter here you can have. Then you just have to install, a man of your skill set should be able to do that.

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
I know how to fux that, i got a starter here you can have. Then you just have to install, a man of your skill set should be able to do that.
Many different types sizes and shapes and with different drives maybe post a pic of the one you havebut if not off a Toro likely won’t fit.

41 - 60 of 99 Posts