Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
21 - 40 of 75 Posts

· Registered
1,159 Posts
When we lived in Northwestern Ontario we bought a Honda pilot and my wife drove this vehicle doing community nursing in some crazy winter conditions. It had one of the best power trains of any vehicle I ever owned and it was very dependable. However, both my wife and I started to get a pain in the thighs. For me it was the left thigh and after two hours on a road trip I had to stop the vehicle and get out to get the pain to subside. A few years later she purchased a front wheel drive Toyota Matrix and never looked back. No more leg pains. So when it came to replace the Honda pilot I wanted a vehicle that did not have a built in bump on the floor on the left of the brake pedal as I wanted to be able to stretch my bad left leg out. The only model vehicle we could find without this foot rest was a Nissan. Today we drive a Nissan Murano and it is extremely comfortable. However, it is strictly a pavement vehicle.
If your serious about hunting and fishing a person needs a good 4x4 truck or a 2x2 truck with a nice ATV in the back.

· Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I have driven a 4x4 truck since age 16 so ride has never been a consideration with me
That being said my mrs would agree with you and why she doesn't have a honda SUV she says they ride rough with terrible road noise says like driving a bus
You want ride take one of those new VW SUV 's out mrs says this is her last nissan after driving my daughters. germans can build great stuff still
I don't think VW's and Honda civics
Yes German vechiles are pretty damn good. Bought a new C-230 kompressor ( super charger and yes with a k) Benz in 99. Real nice ride and fast(0-100 in 6 sec.) esp for such a heavy car. But the services ; which have to be done by the dealer; are crazy high price. Ex wife got it in divorce but didn’t keep up service a yr later timing chain broke,lol. You know what happens when a timing chain breaks. Personally don’t care for BMW and don’t want an SUV. Gonna stick with the Toyota and the Camry ride is as good as the Benz was.
ps C class Benz is nice but if you go to E class real big difference in ride and of course $$$
How did you find it on the trails:)

· Registered
18,888 Posts
I don't think VW's and Honda civics

How did you find it on the trails:)
Thinking of you last night
First time in a month I felt good enough to eat out and mrs says what do you want
2 pounds of hot wings :) Girls say ya I will get them too
Ok called our usual spot they had NO wings WTF called two more they had no wings and one says we can do chicken nuggets up the same way Ya right
I thought my god no wonder the stick man cannot get an atv when I cannot even buy dam chicken wings
The world is Fked

· Registered
707 Posts
TS - I'm sure you're well aware by now that SxSs are stupidly expensive. I tend to keep a really close eye on this market because I have a love for what some would call "Big Boy Toys" lol. Wheelers, Dirt bikes, SxSs and Sleds are my other passion besides hunting. Best bet would be to buy used these days, but not TOO used. Not sure what your budget is but I for one couldn't justify spending $40K on a toy like that.

If I were you, and wanted a machine geared more for utility/leisure rather than sport, I'd be looking at these options:

- Honda Pioneer (Get the 700cc Model, The 520cc is nice for getting into tight trails but lacks the space/storage you'd want in a SxS.)
- Can-Am Defender or Commander (Defender will be more on the Utility side, Commander will be better for Leisure. I'd prefer the Commander as they are more of an "Best of Both Worlds" type of machine". Again, 700cc will be more than enough for you, don't need a 1000. Only downside to Can-Am is that they are expensive to fix and probably will require the most maintenance. I've only ever dealt with their ATVs so take this with a grain of salt lol. Adventure Motors in New Glasgow or Cobequid Mountain Sports in Collingwood Corner would be my suggested Dealers if you want New. Stay away from Full Throttle in Dartmouth.
- Yamaha Viking or Wolverine (Similar to Can-Am, the Viking will be more Utility and the Wolverine is more Leisure. Wolverine is my pick, and Yamaha seems to be using it as their "Flagship" SxS so the aftermarket support will be stronger. I'm a Yamaha guy, and can promise you their belt drive engines are superb. If you want new, Shore Cycle in Chester would be the guys to see, unless you have a good relationship with Kirk at Valley Yamaha, but he tends to be hard to deal with so you may want to avoid.

Neighbor has a Teryx, good luck having a conversation while driving....LOUD!. Polaris has always had a strong following with their SxS lineup but I honestly can't come to a consensus on them, I either hear great things or horror stories. I'll let you research that one. I did spend some time with a friend in NL riding around the backcountry in his Father's $40K Ranger, Sweet rig, fully loaded with heat and A/C but even with a fully enclosed cab it was still pretty loud inside. Seat position wasn't great either, felt like I was going to slide off.

Hope this is helpful to you, I'm a bit of a nerd when it comes to these things HA!

· Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
TS - I'm sure you're well aware by now that SxSs are stupidly expensive. I tend to keep a really close eye on this market because I have a love for what some would call "Big Boy Toys" lol. Wheelers, Dirt bikes, SxSs and Sleds are my other passion besides hunting. Best bet would be to buy used these days, but not TOO used. Not sure what your budget is but I for one couldn't justify spending $40K on a toy like that.

If I were you, and wanted a machine geared more for utility/leisure rather than sport, I'd be looking at these options:

• Honda Pioneer (Get the 700cc Model, The 520cc is nice for getting into tight trails but lacks the space/storage you'd want in a SxS.)
  • Can-Am Defender or Commander (Defender will be more on the Utility side, Commander will be better for Leisure. I'd prefer the Commander as they are more of an "Best of Both Worlds" type of machine". Again, 700cc will be more than enough for you, don't need a 1000. Only downside to Can-Am is that they are expensive to fix and probably will require the most maintenance. I've only ever dealt with their ATVs so take this with a grain of salt lol. Adventure Motors in New Glasgow or Cobequid Mountain Sports in Collingwood Corner would be my suggested Dealers if you want New. Stay away from Full Throttle in Dartmouth.
  • Yamaha Viking or Wolverine (Similar to Can-Am, the Viking will be more Utility and the Wolverine is more Leisure. Wolverine is my pick, and Yamaha seems to be using it as their "Flagship" SxS so the aftermarket support will be stronger. I'm a Yamaha guy, and can promise you their belt drive engines are superb. If you want new, Shore Cycle in Chester would be the guys to see, unless you have a good relationship with Kirk at Valley Yamaha, but he tends to be hard to deal with so you may want to avoid.

Neighbor has a Teryx, good luck having a conversation while driving....LOUD!. Polaris has always had a strong following with their SxS lineup but I honestly can't come to a consensus on them, I either hear great things or horror stories. I'll let you research that one. I did spend some time with a friend in NL riding around the backcountry in his Father's $40K Ranger, Sweet rig, fully loaded with heat and A/C but even with a fully enclosed cab it was still pretty loud inside. Seat position wasn't great either, felt like I was going to slide off.

Hope this is helpful to you, I'm a bit of a nerd when it comes to these things HA!
Thanks for the info. I think we are on the same page. I ain't spending a ton as I cannot see an atv being more than my new Honda civic. I follow the market and have come across some interesting stuff. One thing is a few well know brands are substituting their power train now with unknown components (made by KYMCO, CFMOTO comes to mind). So what you think you have may not be so (junk). I am I have to say a wheeler dealer:).10 years ago I bought a Honda Big Red. The dealership could not sell it. It was $15,900, and I picked it up for $10,500. 9 years later during the pandemic a dealer offered me $10,900. I traded it on the unit I just lost. Insurance has paid out a no fault claim. Honda 1000 3 seater comes in at $21,000 plus tax. Thats better than many price wise. They have a good name, are quiet. Its a sport / utility unit. When buying used one has to do their home work. A lot of small engine suppliers have announced they are shutting down. If one buys used and its older a lot of parts are becoming obsolete, it does not matter how good a shape or low mileage it has, you ain't getting parts. I seen some units with 1500 klms, mint condition but do to age they may be hard to fix. We have a Kawasaki 400 in the garage with 2600 klms. They came with bad cams, there are none available anywhere not even used. As it stands I had to pre order a Honda but that has not worked well with Honda for some. After 8 months those that ordered got tired an cancelled there order. The dealer here has a 2022 left behind from a cancelled order but will not deal on it. That I find strange as it is now one year old. Maybe as time clicks by they will change there mind. Honda does not even have 2023 on their website which I find odd?

· Registered
707 Posts
Thanks for the info. I think we are on the same page. I ain't spending a ton as I cannot see an atv being more than my new Honda civic. I follow the market and have come across some interesting stuff. One thing is a few well know brands are substituting their power train now with unknown components (made by KYMCO, CFMOTO comes to mind). So what you think you have may not be so (junk). I am I have to say a wheeler dealer:).10 years ago I bought a Honda Big Red. The dealership could not sell it. It was $15,900, and I picked it up for $10,500. 9 years later during the pandemic a dealer offered me $10,900. I traded it on the unit I just lost. Insurance has paid out a no fault claim. Honda 1000 3 seater comes in at $21,000 plus tax. Thats better than many price wise. They have a good name, are quiet. Its a sport / utility unit. When buying used one has to do their home work. A lot of small engine suppliers have announced they are shutting down. If one buys used and its older a lot of parts are becoming obsolete, it does not matter how good a shape or low mileage it has, you ain't getting parts. I seen some units with 1500 klms, mint condition but do to age they may be hard to fix. We have a Kawasaki 400 in the garage with 2600 klms. They came with bad cams, there are none available anywhere not even used. As it stands I had to pre order a Honda but that has not worked well with Honda for some. After 8 months those that ordered got tired an cancelled there order. The dealer here has a 2022 left behind from a cancelled order but will not deal on it. That I find strange as it is now one year old. Maybe as time clicks by they will change there mind. Honda does not even have 2023 on their website which I find odd?
Leftover models are like hens teeth these days and I have found similar to you, the Dealers will not budge. February 2021 my father found a leftover 2019 Skidoo Snowmobile at a local Dealer for $15,500.....Brand new 2021s were around $16,500 at that time if I remember correctly. They would not move on the price at all, and it was a beautiful machine. Couldn't believe it, 2 years old still taking up space and they wouldn't even consider making a deal on it. I think it sat there another 6 months before someone else bought it. I'm in the market for a new wheeler myself, but now interest rates have gone up, so I may be waiting longer than I want to as I prefer making payments with the option to pay off earlier so I am not out a substantial amount of cash right away.

I'd say you'd be happy with a Honda or Yamaha TS, Yamaha will obviously be more expensive but I do believe you get more machine for the money. Honda has always been reliable but I think they are much slower to update and advance their products to compete with the competition. Whichever you end up choosing make sure to post some pics!

· Registered
419 Posts
When we lived in Northwestern Ontario we bought a Honda pilot and my wife drove this vehicle doing community nursing in some crazy winter conditions. It had one of the best power trains of any vehicle I ever owned and it was very dependable. However, both my wife and I started to get a pain in the thighs. For me it was the left thigh and after two hours on a road trip I had to stop the vehicle and get out to get the pain to subside. A few years later she purchased a front wheel drive Toyota Matrix and never looked back. No more leg pains. So when it came to replace the Honda pilot I wanted a vehicle that did not have a built in bump on the floor on the left of the brake pedal as I wanted to be able to stretch my bad left leg out. The only model vehicle we could find without this foot rest was a Nissan. Today we drive a Nissan Murano and it is extremely comfortable. However, it is strictly a pavement vehicle.
If your serious about hunting and fishing a person needs a good 4x4 truck or a 2x2 truck with a nice ATV in the back.
I find Toyota very uncomfortable the upholstery sucks. But other than that I love em. Last truck I had that wasn’t Toyota was a 08 1500 LTZ. Rode like a Cadillac and was very comfortable

21 - 40 of 75 Posts