Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
41 - 60 of 75 Posts

· Registered
707 Posts
Best truck you ever had and you got rid of it :) Still have mine and in real good shape but eats gas :( big time always did since new
Joe you best keep that thing till it dies, Always wanted one of those in that body style as a kid, and love that colour! Is it the 5.3?

· Administrator
11,058 Posts
Congrats TS !!! Nice machine, ...but it looks quite a bit more timid than your Mahindra...lol

· Registered
18,887 Posts
Joe you best keep that thing till it dies, Always wanted one of those in that body style as a kid, and love that colour! Is it the 5.3?
Yep 5.3 lzt with the ground effect package was a demo here when bought and so far zero issues with 265 kms on the engine but run mobil 1 syn since new
I have no choice but to keep it until I die. Last spring wife says don't you think it is time for a new truck that one is getting pretty old
Don't have to tell me twice dear so what do you want same thing a ltz and make sure it has that passenger heated seat for me again so off I go
Eating supper she says so what is the payment on the new truck I said I hope you like the old one since it will be a cold day in hell I pay 88,000 to replace it which is what they wanted with no trade

· Registered
707 Posts
Yep 5.3 lzt with the ground effect package was a demo here when bought and so far zero issues with 265 kms on the engine but run mobil 1 syn since new
I have no choice but to keep it until I die. Last spring wife says don't you think it is time for a new truck that one is getting pretty old
Don't have to tell me twice dear so what do you want same thing a ltz and make sure it has that passenger heated seat for me again so off I go
Eating supper she says so what is the payment on the new truck I said I hope you like the old one since it will be a cold day in hell I pay 88,000 to replace it which is what they wanted with no trade
Yep, unless it's not my money I won't even consider buying new now. $75k+ to replace the one I have now, and hard to say if they're as reliable.

· Registered
18,887 Posts
Yep, unless it's not my money I won't even consider buying new now. $75k+ to replace the one I have now, and hard to say if they're as reliable.
Agree The 08 doesn't have the lifter issue for sure but does have a one year stainless fuel pump which is like 1o00 bucks to change not counting the labor to get the box off and she is on her 4th :(

· Registered
630 Posts
Depends on which motor you have. The wife's 08' was the all aluminum 5.3 with AFM and had the lifter stick twice. Had to disable the AFM. It was the LC9 (flex-fuel) and burnt oil when switching from 4-8 cylinder. Still got 320,000 kms out of it before I lost compression on 1 cylinder.

· Registered
18,887 Posts
Depends on which motor you have. The wife's 08' was the all aluminum 5.3 with AFM and had the lifter stick twice. Had to disable the AFM. It was the LC9 (flex-fuel) and burnt oil when switching from 4-8 cylinder. Still got 320,000 kms out of it before I lost compression on 1 cylinder.
Mine is not Strange yours was unless motors was changed I maybe wrong but though it started in 2010 like shown here but really don't know

· Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 · (Edited)
Mine is not Strange yours was unless motors was changed I maybe wrong but though it started in 2010 like shown here but really don't know
Joe my older brother is a chev guy and a mechanic/ millwright. I remember him saying he adds I think Zinc to is engine when changing the oil. I maybe wrong on the zinc but it is something that the gas is missing these days for those engines. And speaking of engines Dodge now is developing what is called the hemi tick. The oil required in the engine is fine so the 8-4 cyliner change over can occur, but being thin it drains down quickly of parts when your vehicle sits for a period of time causing premature vale system wear, hence a tick on startup. Heard it for the first time in my truck. I take my truck off the road each year after hunting season so it was not stared in a month or so. Need to get a better quality oil than what Dodge supplies and periodically start it up more.

· Registered
419 Posts
Joe my older brother is a chev guy and a mechanic/ millwright. I remember him saying he adds I think Zinc to is engine when changing the oil. I maybe wrong on the zinc but it is something that the gas is missing these days for those engines.
Lot of guys run rotella or get zinc additives. I personally don’t worry about it unless you’re running old flat tappet SBC

· Registered
707 Posts
Agree The 08 doesn't have the lifter issue for sure but does have a one year stainless fuel pump which is like 1o00 bucks to change not counting the labor to get the box off and she is on her 4th :(
These new motors are strange, all the new “fuel efficient” changes they’ve made are questionable in my opinion. My truck idles at 500 RPM which makes it shake like it’s got a misfire. They say it’s normal I guess. You can take them to a tuner and raise the RPMs up which apparently smoothens it out. 120K on er so far and I can’t really complain.

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Cloud Automotive side marker light

· Registered
18,887 Posts
Joe my older brother is a chev guy and a mechanic/ millwright. I remember him saying he adds I think Zinc to is engine when changing the oil. I maybe wrong on the zinc but it is something that the gas is missing these days for those engines. And speaking of engines Dodge now is developing what is called the hemi tick. The oil required in the engine is fine so the 8-4 cyliner change over can occur, but being thin it drains down quickly of parts when your vehicle sits for a period of time causing premature vale system wear, hence a tick on startup. Heard it for the first time in my truck. I take my truck off the road each year after hunting season so it was not stared in a month or so. Need to get a better quality oil than what Dodge supplies and periodically start it up more.
Yep he must be old school. ;) We added it GM EOS it was called (EOS was originally used for the breaking-in of the older V8's) until maybe the (after the leaded gas was taken away) 80's when it was discovered there is a fine line in the right amount vs too much and since it is an acid and corrosive can cause more problems than in helps in what I call never vehicles ( post leaded gas ) destroying cam , rod and main bearings etc . They also said never with a car with a cat converter so I stopped years ago I still dump some vintage eos 1/4 bottle into the old 68 with her SAE 50 on oil changes :p It may be totally different stuff today i have no idea
I run 90% mobil 1 for years and tried some pennzoil platium syn just because it was $40 a gallon vs &75 and went back to the old mobil
if your dodge is a 5.7 hemi I would not worry about is since they have had a ton of them apart and cannot find anything wrong but yes a tick a better grade of oil and making sure it is clean will help
I know for me with the syn they say 10,000kms and I always went 5.000 but expensive now so tried 7000 NOPE oil too dirty for me so tried 6000 and will stay there

· Registered
18,887 Posts
These new motors are strange, all the new “fuel efficient” changes they’ve made are questionable in my opinion. My truck idles at 500 RPM which makes it shake like it’s got a misfire. They say it’s normal I guess. You can take them to a tuner and raise the RPMs up which apparently smoothens it out. 120K on er so far and I can’t really complain.

View attachment 99390
Nice truck. yep even the old ones like mine do it they have cranked down the idle RPM's so low to accommodate fuel mileage requirements that they are pushing the point where any motor would struggle to idle smooth some guys crank it up 100 but not worth it iMO
Or maybe someone put a ford engine under the hood then you have a serious issue. :p

· Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Yep he must be old school. ;) We added it GM EOS it was called (EOS was originally used for the breaking-in of the older V8's) until maybe the (after the leaded gas was taken away) 80's when it was discovered there is a fine line in the right amount vs too much and since it is an acid and corrosive can cause more problems than in helps in what I call never vehicles ( post leaded gas ) destroying cam , rod and main bearings etc . They also said never with a car with a cat converter so I stopped years ago I still dump some vintage eos 1/4 bottle into the old 68 with her SAE 50 on oil changes :p It may be totally different stuff today i have no idea
I run 90% mobil 1 for years and tried some pennzoil platium syn just because it was $40 a gallon vs &75 and went back to the old mobil
if your dodge is a 5.7 hemi I would not worry about is since they have had a ton of them apart and cannot find anything wrong but yes a tick a better grade of oil and making sure it is clean will help
I know for me with the syn they say 10,000kms and I always went 5.000 but expensive now so tried 7000 NOPE oil too dirty for me so tried 6000 and will stay there
Do mine religiously at 5000 klms. I only have 50,000 on my 16 and just recently changed to semi synethic, but will be going to full now.

41 - 60 of 75 Posts