Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
There is a further report that in 1789 Cape Breton witnessed an extraordinary slaughter of moose. "At the period of the first establishment of the English in the Island," forty years after the event, Haliburton recounted, "these animals became the objects of most destructive pursuit, merely for the sake of their hides. Their carcases were left by hundreds along the coast, from St. Anne's to Cape North ... Ever since the commission of that indiscriminate massacre, the numbers of the moose have been comparatively scanty."35 This would not have involved Mi'kmaq, who habitually "did not kill more moose than was necessary to supply themselves with provisions," as surveyor general TitusSmithnotedin1801.36 Bythemid-1850smooseinNovaScotiaandCape Breton were thought to be approaching extinction. A closed season from February through August, during which the killing of moose was made illegal and punishable by a fine, was first proclaimed in 1843.37

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Thanks for that link, ct.
I like reading stuff like that.

3 things jumped out at me...22 wolf skins traded in 1742, I think it was...elk hides traded...and the statement that deer were bountiful and throughout the province.

Those statements contradict other sources I have read...

Throws a fella on his ear...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts