Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner

Some pictures of Chickadees

3K views 37 replies 9 participants last post by  superslickie 
#1 ·
Here you go bird lovers. Chickadees are my favourite bird for sure. Under appreciated and they punch above their weight class tough little guys that stick out the cold winter and keep beautiful background noise on the woods

#10 ·
Black capped chickadees ! Awesome little birds. I'll stick my apple core on a branch and watch em pick at it.
I know a couple of old bow hunters (RIP Huntwisely) who used to keep tossing a few seeds round their blinds and stands...kept the birds and squirrels that were close by more active, and natural...that kept the deer that were close by more relaxed.

#13 · (Edited)
Black capped chickadees ! Awesome little birds. I'll stick my apple core on a branch and watch em pick at it.
I know a couple of old bow hunters (RIP Huntwisely) who used to keep tossing a few seeds round their blinds and stands...kept the birds and squirrels that were close by more active, and natural...that kept the deer that were close by more relaxed.
I have to say I never thought of doing that, but it does make sense that is something huntwisely would have done.

#12 ·
Some great shots there! They are entertaining little guys for sure. I have a feeder in the backyard and they're here every day through the winter months. Also get nuthatches, junkos, olive sided flycatchers (I think), those damm morning doves, the odd blue jay and cardinals now and then.

I've had chickadees and both white and red breasted nuthatches land on my hand for seeds. Especially in the parks they get really tame. I've never had any luck with blue jays though.

That's a great idea ! Putting seeds around your stand. Never thought of it. Guess what I'll be doing next fall?

#30 ·
Twig Terrestrial plant Sky Trunk Wood

ever since the pileated woodpeckers nest tree blew down they’ve been trying to make a new nest in one of my favourite massive pine trees. I say try because i shoo them off from that tree, but they’ve made a couple holes big enough now the sawyer beetles will move in when spring hits, not doubt woodpeckers will be drawn to it even more then. Might half to cut this tree down.Almost 3foot diameter at the base.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.