Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know a good source of information about whether it's still safe to eat deer meat when it's harvested from areas where aerial herbicide spraying is going on?

Was forwarded a list of areas getting sprayed this month, includes some properties near where I plan to hunt, hate to hold off on coming bow hunting season.......

Thanks

·
Registered
17,365 Posts
I think you are asking the wrong people for a true answer to your question. Hunters are a very opinionated group on this yet have no problem buying and eating produce from grocery stores nor should they but really not much different IMHO if not buying 100% organic labeled products

From talking to farmers all herbicides break down over a short period of time. All products whether they are herbicides, insecticides or fungicides have a re-entry time frame when it is safe for humans to enter an area that has been sprayed and eat say produce from that area. Most average 3 or 4 days for entry but I have seen some 6 months for eating for example what some use on fruit trees . That stuff says 1 year in soil it is effective for the tree to draw it up and kill insects for up to 1 year

If concerned I would hunt other areas but we are all eating a hell of a lot of stuff now way worse IMHO but I have no clue either what they are spraying now
Those would be the people I would be contacting first to get some info on the product being used and then do your own research since 100% they will say it is fine and it may need a certain time frame to be fine

I think gary knows a lot about this maybe he will chime in
All the best.

·
Registered
108 Posts
It is my understanding that much of the Nova Scotia spraying is glycophophate(sp?) The official line is that this is safe for humans but a quick search of the internet will lead you to many 'conspiracy theories' on the bad effects of Round Up on humans, including gluten sensitivity, for example. Definitely do your own research, but I wouldn't eat them.

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
I personally would not be hunting on sprayed lands. I used to hunt areas that power lines were on, they sprayed them and everything was orange and dead in no time. Never went back. That just can't be healthy. Companies come by and spray lawns which they then post to keep pets off?

·
Registered
17,365 Posts
I personally would not be hunting on sprayed lands. I used to hunt areas that power lines were on, they sprayed them and everything was orange and dead in no time. Never went back. That just can't be healthy. Companies come by and spray lawns which they then post to keep pets off?
In the 70's and early 80's ??
If so that was a form of agent orange and killed everything for many years as you know being retired military they loved that stuff

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
There's numerous studies on glyphosate based products and possible harm to humans from eating animals and plants. Deer, cattle, sheep, etc and veggies.

The regulatory bodies ( PMRA in Canada, EPA in the States) have levels established for human health. They always state - follow manufacturers instruction for use. So, as long as whoever is doing the spraying follows instructions, the levels are classed safe by the regulators.

Its a legit concern however IMO, you can over think this stuff & can make you crazy. Because there's always risk - naturally occurring bacteria, disease, heavy metals close to the earth's surface, etc. Plus, all the man made crap in the environment.

There's lots of risk out there - heck, the bait you may be using to attract the deer you want to shoot, has most likely been sprayed.

PS - look up some of the latest on PFAS - they say now that the PFAS levels of rain, falling from the sky, are higher than the recommended safe levels set by EPA.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thing is, deer move around plenty.... so there's in theory no way to know if the deer you take has been browsing on sprayed land??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There's a neighbourhood meeting tonight for people concerned about the spraying in our area.... might attend to learn more.

NS isn't all that big, so with spraying rotating through parcels as they are cut and prepped for regrowth..... yea, start to wonder if any areas are truly clean.

Is there any appetite among hunters to push back on this forestry practice??

·
Registered
108 Posts
There's a neighbourhood meeting tonight for people concerned about the spraying in our area.... might attend to learn more.

NS isn't all that big, so with spraying rotating through parcels as they are cut and prepped for regrowth..... yea, start to wonder if any areas are truly clean.

I have visited my share of meetings and I'm willing to push back. Not sure where the meeting you speak of is.

As for where the spraying is and where you hunt deer, there are options where there hasn't been any spraying within 20-30kms. I'll definitely be favoring those locations more often. :)

·
Registered
7,452 Posts
It is my understanding that much of the Nova Scotia spraying is glycophophate(sp?) The official line is that this is safe for humans but a quick search of the internet will lead you to many 'conspiracy theories' on the bad effects of Round Up on humans, including gluten sensitivity, for example. Definitely do your own research, but I wouldn't eat them.
Yeah it’s safe because Monsanto ( Bayer now I think ) says it’s safe because their genetically modified foods are making millions. Not sure why those companies have been sued and lost so many times tho.
When it comes to wildlife consuming sprayed foods well that’s what the liver is suppose to be for. If the critter is healthy and no “ red Flag” areas inside or outside you should be okay to consume the meat. Myself I don’t hunt close to any power lines or sprayed areas anyway. But I still look over the deer I harvest very closely and if I find something I don’t like I , contact a DLF wildlife biologist but that is becoming more and more difficult in today’s world. Now they want you to let a “ tech” check the carcus so you have to be knowledgeable and in some cases extremely forceful to get a biologist to check it. Personally I don’t trust a simple “tech” with good reason. 15-16 yrs ago I shot a deer had bad spot on his neck, it looked like he had been gored in a fight, but a lot of puss was oozing out of it. The tech said yeah that’s nothing ok to eat. Just then the biologist came out and he called her over ( used to be a biologist at the Waverly office ) she looked at and said DO NOT EAT THE MEAT. Had she not appeared before I left it may have caused my family some health problems!!!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Glyphosate is a defoliation spray used to keep the hardwood from messing up the fast growing softwood for lumber and the biomass plant. We can get in trouble if we move a stick of wood from one zone to another . . . They can spray defoliant on acres at a time.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts

hunters would need to get organized and protest like these people did.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Lots of misinformation, and lack of knowledge, being expressed as fact once again on this site. I sure wish folks that were so quick to speak out on a public forum voicing their opinions, as if they were fact, would take the same time to educate themselves before contributing to the continuous stream of BS on the "Dis-Information Highway" social media has become.

If I had a dime for every thread/post on here regarding misconceptions regarding pesticide use in forestry, I could have retired long ago. You do realize that AGRICULTURE accounts for over 90% of pesticide usage in North America? When I went to school, forestry accounted for approximately 1/2 of 1% of pesticide use in Canada. I expect that percentage has in fact dropped as we spray far less forest ground today than decades ago. You also have to understand that the most used product in forest applications today are glyphosate based herbicides, such as Vision, which is also known as Round-Up in domestic/home and agricultural use. I always found it amusing that those screaming about treating a clear-cut in the middle of nowhere often run home to treat their lawns, sidewalks and driveways with Round-Up, and them track it all through their house without a second thought or concern. Or better yet hire a company like the Weed Man to come in and do it for them. Up until the adoption of the Non-Essential Pesticide Control Act in NS the stuff being broadcast applied to entire neighbourhoods we live in were regularly treated with products that I'd be far more concerned about. But I digress. After all the mean old forest industry... and of course the gub'ment... are the bad guy you are after. I wonder how many of you were on here voicing support for the Nova Scotia Needs Forestry movement not long ago? But I guess that was only for old timey horse loggers and lumberjacks?

For the record I have spent my entire life in the woods both for recreation and my entire professional work career, and I very much consider myself a "Tree Hugger", in fact were I not I think I would have been in the wrong career. I'm not sure the term is quite the slag or has the derogatory meaning you believe. I look upon it as a "badge of honour" personally, and certainly not the way it is spit out with contempt on this site. If you are all the outdoorsmen and women you pretend to be on your keyboards I'd assume you are all Tree Huggers, or should be. Back to the subject at hand...

Am I saying I 100% support pesticide usage carte blanche? Absolutely not. But I do trust that the professionals prescribing its usage, and those licensed to apply it, are following their education and the strict regulations governing pesticide use in industry. There is no benefit to applying anymore product than absolutely necessary in a profit driven industry operating on thin margins. In addition, herbicide applications in a forestry setting would occur at maximum twice in a stand rotation, and most likely only once to ensure crop tree release from competing vegetation post harvest. This occurs annually on a tiny percentage of operational forest land across NS, primarily in remote, uninhabited areas.

Agriculture - and I am in no way attacking farmers - apply huge amounts of chemical pesticides (and fertilizers) to both animal livestock feed and human food for direct consumption, multiple times each year. Not only in the form of herbicides to control unwanted competing plant growth, but also fungicides to control disease, insecticide to control insect pest (and everything else usually), and the list goes on. If there's a living thing humans don't like, you can bet we've developed a pesticide product designed to poison it! These products are typically applied to crops during several periods during the growing season, and often in very close proximity to residential areas. Ever driven through The Valley and see a farmer happily plugging along on his tractor through his orchard, right in town, dragging a mist blower behind him fogging his fruit trees? I certainly have. Ever hear a complaint or concern raised? Ever witness a crowd of "tree huggers" as you all call them set up a protest camp in the middle of an orchard, blueberry field or strawberry patch about to be sprayed? No? Me neither. Funny about that don't you think.

You guys are supposed to be hunters, I assume you've seen what apples on an abandoned, or neglected (unmanaged or wild) tree look like, or better yet for most of you - your 'bait apple'. Now compare that to the blemish free picture perfect specimen you grabbed off the shelf at the store. You think that perfect apple (insert fruit/veggie of your choice) got that way without numerous pesticide treatments from prior to bud break until you bite into it? Ever eat one without washing it well first, you know just a polish on your sleeve and straight into your yap? Well the stuff you ingested is a lot more potentially dangerous than a deer in proximity to a sprayed cutover. Do you smoke? Drink alcohol despite the recent admittance that it is a 100% proven carcinogen to humans?

When was the last time you ordered meat in your favourite restaurant and or stood in the meat section of your local grocery store and debated whether or not that beef steak, chicken breast or pork chop had been exposed to pesticides, or perhaps antibiotics, or growth hormones.... or who knows gawd fordid some sort of Veterinarian supplied vaccination for BSE or bovine tuberculosis (that would surely send a couple of you into overdrive seeking a conspircy... Hmmmm Bill Gates.... farm land.... world domination.... perhaps I'm on to something? Buckmark get on this ASAP man!!!)

"The poison is the dose", that is a fact. Look it up, drink too much water you'll die, ingest too much table salt you'll die... ingest too much glyphosate (and additives) and you'll eventually die. Children today are actually being born with detectable levels of glyphosate in their bodies at birth. Glyphosate is the most widely used herbicide there is, and has been for some time. It is used extensively in agriculture, forestry, home and commercial lawn care. Its ubiquitous. To be overly concerned about your exposure solely from the venison you eat is somewhat nonsensical.

To once again have the debate come up about the safety of deer meat (game meat in general) is frustrating. It seems that the folks left on this site have nothing better to do that try and come up with any and every potentially negative aspect of enjoying the out of doors as possible, simply to give yourselves something to argue and vent about. Ironically enough the same fellas fretting over getting poisoned by Vision in their deer meat are some of the same folks that crucify anyone that dare point out that lead is toxic and the risk posed by you and your family ingesting lead bullet fragments.

Statik, your attempt to conflate pesticide usage in forestry with the very real, significant and totally unrelated issue of unintentional human caused spread of invasive species (i.e. brown spruce longhorn beetle, emerald ash borer, hemlock woolly adelgid, beech leaf mining weevil, and whatever the next introduced invasive species is to arrive on our shores) shows that you either have very little understanding of the topics you are speaking on, or I believe more likely you are an existing or past member simply trying to stir the pot and cause "static" among the handful of angry old conservative white dudes that remain on this at one time hunting site. Based on your sudden appearance and post history I'm pretty sure I've read your sign accurately. Enjoy, you'll fit right in. Now, back to how this is somehow Trudeau's fault in the end.... despite a Conservative provincial government and forestry falling under the provinces responsibility.

I also just realized, mostly the same tough guys saying Covid was either a made up hoax or nothing more than a a flu also seem to have concerns about pesticides in deer meat. Again very interesting to follow your guys thought process and critical thinking.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Lots of misinformation, and lack of knowledge, being expressed as fact once again on this site. I sure wish folks that were so quick to speak out on a public forum voicing their opinions, as if they were fact, would take the same time to educate themselves before contributing to the continuous stream of BS on the "Dis-Information Highway" social media has become.

If I had a dime for every thread/post on here regarding misconceptions regarding pesticide use in forestry, I could have retired long ago. You do realize that AGRICULTURE accounts for over 90% of pesticide usage in North America? When I went to school, forestry accounted for approximately 1/2 of 1% of pesticide use in Canada. I expect that percentage has in fact dropped as we spray far less forest ground today than decades ago. You also have to understand that the most used product in forest applications today are glyphosate based herbicides, such as Vision, which is also known as Round-Up in domestic/home and agricultural use. I always found it amusing that those screaming about treating a clear-cut in the middle of nowhere often run home to treat their lawns, sidewalks and driveways with Round-Up, and them track it all through their house without a second thought or concern. Or better yet hire a company like the Weed Man to come in and do it for them. Up until the adoption of the Non-Essential Pesticide Control Act in NS the stuff being broadcast applied to entire neighbourhoods we live in were regularly treated with products that I'd be far more concerned about. But I digress. After all the mean old forest industry... and of course the gub'ment... are the bad guy you are after. I wonder how many of you were on here voicing support for the Nova Scotia Needs Forestry movement not long ago? But I guess that was only for old timey horse loggers and lumberjacks?

For the record I have spent my entire life in the woods both for recreation and my entire professional work career, and I very much consider myself a "Tree Hugger", in fact were I not I think I would have been in the wrong career. I'm not sure the term is quite the slag or has the derogatory meaning you believe. I look upon it as a "badge of honour" personally, and certainly not the way it is spit out with contempt on this site. If you are all the outdoorsmen and women you pretend to be on your keyboards I'd assume you are all Tree Huggers, or should be. Back to the subject at hand...

Am I saying I 100% support pesticide usage carte blanche? Absolutely not. But I do trust that the professionals prescribing its usage, and those licensed to apply it, are following their education and the strict regulations governing pesticide use in industry. There is no benefit to applying anymore product than absolutely necessary in a profit driven industry operating on thin margins. In addition, herbicide applications in a forestry setting would occur at maximum twice in a stand rotation, and most likely only once to ensure crop tree release from competing vegetation post harvest. This occurs annually on a tiny percentage of operational forest land across NS, primarily in remote, uninhabited areas.

Agriculture - and I am in no way attacking farmers - apply huge amounts of chemical pesticides (and fertilizers) to both animal livestock feed and human food for direct consumption, multiple times each year. Not only in the form of herbicides to control unwanted competing plant growth, but also fungicides to control disease, insecticide to control insect pest (and everything else usually), and the list goes on. If there's a living thing humans don't like, you can bet we've developed a pesticide product designed to poison it! These products are typically applied to crops during several periods during the growing season, and often in very close proximity to residential areas. Ever driven through The Valley and see a farmer happily plugging along on his tractor through his orchard, right in town, dragging a mist blower behind him fogging his fruit trees? I certainly have. Ever hear a complaint or concern raised? Ever witness a crowd of "tree huggers" as you all call them set up a protest camp in the middle of an orchard, blueberry field or strawberry patch about to be sprayed? No? Me neither. Funny about that don't you think.

You guys are supposed to be hunters, I assume you've seen what apples on an abandoned, or neglected (unmanaged or wild) tree look like, or better yet for most of you - your 'bait apple'. Now compare that to the blemish free picture perfect specimen you grabbed off the shelf at the store. You think that perfect apple (insert fruit/veggie of your choice) got that way without numerous pesticide treatments from prior to bud break until you bite into it? Ever eat one without washing it well first, you know just a polish on your sleeve and straight into your yap? Well the stuff you ingested is a lot more potentially dangerous than a deer in proximity to a sprayed cutover. Do you smoke? Drink alcohol despite the recent admittance that it is a 100% proven carcinogen to humans?

When was the last time you ordered meat in your favourite restaurant and or stood in the meat section of your local grocery store and debated whether or not that beef steak, chicken breast or pork chop had been exposed to pesticides, or perhaps antibiotics, or growth hormones.... or who knows gawd fordid some sort of Veterinarian supplied vaccination for BSE or bovine tuberculosis (that would surely send a couple of you into overdrive seeking a conspircy... Hmmmm Bill Gates.... farm land.... world domination.... perhaps I'm on to something? Buckmark get on this ASAP man!!!)

"The poison is the dose", that is a fact. Look it up, drink too much water you'll die, ingest too much table salt you'll die... ingest too much glyphosate (and additives) and you'll eventually die. Children today are actually being born with detectable levels of glyphosate in their bodies at birth. Glyphosate is the most widely used herbicide there is, and has been for some time. It is used extensively in agriculture, forestry, home and commercial lawn care. Its ubiquitous. To be overly concerned about your exposure solely from the venison you eat is somewhat nonsensical.

To once again have the debate come up about the safety of deer meat (game meat in general) is frustrating. It seems that the folks left on this site have nothing better to do that try and come up with any and every potentially negative aspect of enjoying the out of doors as possible, simply to give yourselves something to argue and vent about. Ironically enough the same fellas fretting over getting poisoned by Vision in their deer meat are some of the same folks that crucify anyone that dare point out that lead is toxic and the risk posed by you and your family ingesting lead bullet fragments.

Statik, your attempt to conflate pesticide usage in forestry with the very real, significant and totally unrelated issue of unintentional human caused spread of invasive species (i.e. brown spruce longhorn beetle, emerald ash borer, hemlock woolly adelgid, beech leaf mining weevil, and whatever the next introduced invasive species is to arrive on our shores) shows that you either have very little understanding of the topics you are speaking on, or I believe more likely you are an existing or past member simply trying to stir the pot and cause "static" among the handful of angry old conservative white dudes that remain on this at one time hunting site. Based on your sudden appearance and post history I'm pretty sure I've read your sign accurately. Enjoy, you'll fit right in. Now, back to how this is somehow Trudeau's fault in the end.... despite a Conservative provincial government and forestry falling under the provinces responsibility.

I also just realized, mostly the same tough guys saying Covid was either a made up hoax or nothing more than a a flu also seem to have concerns about pesticides in deer meat. Again very interesting to follow your guys thought process and critical thinking.
Well, look at the different reaction of the current provincial government to a threat to the softwood industry (blocking the movement of cut wood) to a threat to the hardwood industry (shrug, it'll survive, it's not that bad) and you can see their focus. Softwood industry brings quick money to the industry and the government. Hardwood does not. Not blaming federal of any stripe, but blaming the provincial of every stripe. Conservative, liberal, new Democrat, here in NS it's all the same.
Not conflating the issues of herbicide with invasive species but I am correlating the government responses.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts