Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
I'm not a "bear hunter" myself really but am lucky enough to spend about 30 days hunting deer and I'd say now would be the time for you guys who want a spring season to push for it. According to our trail cams,bear sightings and the amount of bears I hear being taken by "deer hunters" the population is growing rapidly.There chewing the legs off our blinds and wooden ladder stands and also ate my $300 pop up tent not once but twice!Almost everyone using bait is getting hit this fall. It's a shame to hear about so many being being taken only to be left in the woods cause nobody wants them. Id say this is a great time for a spring season and a bonus tag for you guys who love to hunt bears.

·
Registered
751 Posts
That is why I think personally they lifted the restrictions on the time u can bait.. To gear up for a future spring season, I'd go for it.. The coats on the bears are better in the spring anyway... U won't hurt the population anyway if u had spring and fall seasons.. Lack of bear hunters.. Seasons and limits are as liberal as they have been for years right now and I see no increase in people taking more than any other year.. Maybe less because no one is hunting really...

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
I agree if the data supports it ,lets get r done ,one bear via hunting either spring or fall per year would be good.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
"also ate my $300 pop up tent not once but twice!"

I have had a pop up set up every season for the last 5 and it is never touched by man or beast. But this year it got pounded twice....by the same sow and 2 cubs(on camera) and is now just a camo cover for a tree stand...they destroyed the fibre poles. A sad coincidence! :wacko:

I agree if the data supports it ,lets get r done ,one bear via hunting either spring or fall per year would be good.
Simply put and dead on. I just don't know if I would hunt in the spring. I hate bugs, wonder about the shape the bears are in and really enjoy the fall hunt. I also 'think'' I would rather be fishing....but for those that would and could hunt in the spring it would be a great thing. Seems to work well in NB...as far as I know... based on what I read here and on the NBH site but I really doubt it will happen.

Butch

·
Registered
439 Posts
Oh what short memories we have. NS was all set to introduce a Spring Bear Hunt then someone got the brillant idea to get public input.The Gvt got an earful especially from editorials through the Herald and their letters to the editors.In short the bear hunting community got the knock out punch and the Gvt scratched the Spring Bear Hunt.So I would say if you want a spring hunt better form a strong association and commit educational resources and align themselves with powerful allies like the Agricultural Associations.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
If you ask me the powers to be seem to be revenue driven more than anything,just need to take a look at the new deer set up with the multiple lisence system.So why not implement a bear hunting system where you could purchase a spring lisence and if unsucessful you could purchase a fall lisence .Like really does goverment actually listen to the public,public for the most part dont understand wildlife management and its more of an emotional response versus fact ,i say and again you only need to guage the amount of bear complaints,kills,report cards etc to come up with the real facts ,which infact should be the real catlyst to drive decisions on game management.

·
Registered
737 Posts
The political game plays too big a roll in the hunting

I wish that sound management was used when decisions are made concerning seasons

we would have a spring bear hunt now and I'm pretty sure we would still have a one deer per hunter season

I like the expanded options to spend more time hunting but two tags they screwed up when they put that in

Less deer mean less cost to the DNR and when money is the focus spending more is not an option

The budget for gas for fisheries or DNR is greatly affected when it goes up that means less patrols

so less deer a good thing as far as they are concerned

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
BUmP... Sitting here thinking about hunting season...so far away. Would love a spring time opportunity :mellow:

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
fielddog is bang on.....the then minister actually congratulated the then president of bans and said "congrats boys...you finally got your season you've worked hard for" or words to that.....and then..it seemed everyone was scared to touch the subject....although it did stay on the books....it had no cheerleaders.

but with the numbers ow...its growing some steam again.

Hairy.....once ya hunt them in the spring you will not want to hunt them in the fall bud ....well I dunno how you will think....but its the rut, they are way more hungry imo....and are more bait addicted.....the rut can throw them off for a bit....but like mid November....ya never know what will roll into your stand.....those sows we now sometimes consider not muuch more than bait robbers....will be your best friend.

The meats is just as good imo....but less fat to deal with.

·
Registered
862 Posts
What ever happened to the black bear association? With all these new bear hunters in NS it could grow in members.

·
Banned
666 Posts
I hope to have a tag. I asked for one and was told I would need to save the reproductive tract

This NWO hopes to be spotting and stalking with a bow

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
GI....you mean u have a nuisance tag or want one? I have to ask...why?

·
Banned
666 Posts
I want one and I was lead to believe that I would be able to get one when I asked DNR....we'll see when the time comes

Why? You might see a nuissance tag, I see a spring bear hunt and the opportunity is there for anyone with a NWO license. Most importantly , as an NWO my main concern is with the health of the bears ..... the use of modern management techniques , data collection and best management practices.....ensuring the animal doesn't go to waste. Bear meat is now being accepted at Feed NS.

I have friends in the blueberry industry and conflicts are through the roof, bears are being shot and left to rot, might as well go in my freezer or be donated to feed ns

Hunters are the old way....NWO's are concerned about more than just meat in the freezer. Healthy ecosystems

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
I want one and I was lead to believe that I would be able to get one when I asked DNR....we'll see when the time comes

Why? You might see a nuissance tag, I see a spring bear hunt and the opportunity is there for anyone with a NWO license. Most importantly , as an NWO my main concern is with the health of the bears ..... the use of modern management techniques , data collection and best management practices.....ensuring the meat doesn't go to waste. Bear meat is now being accepted at food banks.

I have friends in the blueberry industry and conflicts are through the roof, bears are being shot and left to rot, might as well go in my freezer or be donated to feed ns

Hunters are the old way....NWO's are concerned about more than just meat in the freezer. Healthy ecosystems
At the spring hunting show talked to one of the head trapper guys, he happened to be from the valley, my area. Bears are out of control. He indicated farmers are needing assistance from DNR for bears as they are destroying crops each year, thousands of dollars lost. Most occurring before the actual bear seasons. No co-operation from DNR. It has led to farmers sitting in front end loaders shooting as many as they can to save there lively hood. There are reports that DNR that does respond does nothing different. Bears are not being relocated, just eliminated. As I indicated in the past one farm next to me took 14 out of there field, and I know my self and others took a few close by also. So about 16-17 bears in a 4 klm radius, and as I also indicated they have continued to multiply. Last year was one of the worst. The deer population in these areas is almost nil. Are we sure that this is not a plan, more bears, less deer, less auto claims, I am staring to wonder why little concern. Bears were in the school yards last year. I had them trying to get in my cottage several times last year, called no response. Everyone remember the two girls chased by a bear in the valley a couple years ago, that was here, what was ever done. Bears are on the rise in other parts of Nova Scotia as well. I am not sure about your comment "hunters are the old way', means or NWO's role in this but little seems to being done by anyone in my view.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
At the spring hunting show talked to one of the head trapper guys, he happened to be from the valley, my area. Bears are out of control. He indicated farmers are needing assistance from DNR for bears as they are destroying crops each year, thousands of dollars lost. Most occurring before the actual bear seasons. No co-operation from DNR. It has led to farmers sitting in front end loaders shooting as many as they can to save there lively hood. There are reports that DNR that does respond does nothing different. Bears are not being relocated, just eliminated. As I indicated in the past one farm next to me took 14 out of there field, and I know my self and others took a few close by also. So about 16-17 bears in a 4 klm radius, and as I also indicated they have continued to multiply. Last year was one of the worst. The deer population in these areas is almost nil. Are we sure that this is not a plan, more bears, less deer, less auto claims, I am staring to wonder why little concern. Bears were in the school yards last year. I had them trying to get in my cottage several times last year, called no response. Everyone remember the two girls chased by a bear in the valley a couple years ago, that was here, what was ever done. Bears are on the rise in other parts of Nova Scotia as well. I am not sure about your comment "hunters are the old way', means or NWO's role in this but little seems to being done by anyone in my view.
There are a lot of Bears out there, it is not unique to the Valley. Where I fish at it is full of Bears. They cause crop damage, and I am rather certain feast on newborn Fawns in the spring. I have no evidence to support this, simply the knowledge that they are coming out of Dens around the same time as fawning takes place..they must eat. There are more and more of them. As far as your reference to children being chased, seems these stories disappear when you contact the experts, (DNR, which I have) About 10 years or so ago I was walked down by a Bear. I was still hunting, not on bait or stand. It came straight on me, head swinging back and forth. Nothing I could do to stop it, yelling, even fired into the ground beside it. Reminded me of the TV show that Fred Trost hosted in the US, he filmed almost verbatim the exact same thing while fishing. This situation was prior to the Bear season as it stands today. Therefore no Bear tag in pocket. Luckily I was Deer Hunting and not Trout Fishing. At about a cars distance away I shot it. Called DNR, CO and a Tech came out, investigated everything and took the Bear away. He told me that was the second Bear recovery of the week under similar circumstances. However if you call DNR they will have no such record of this encounter. You will never convince me a Bear will not attack in NS. Had I of been Trout fishing I wonder what the outcome would have been? More Bears mean more encounters, it is just matter of time before tragedy occurs. The time is coming when Coyotes will not be the feared wild creature of Urbanite...it will be Bears. A spring Bear Hunt is the right thing at this time.

·
PLEASEDELETETHISACCOUNT
1,769 Posts
Not in favour of a spring bear hunt personally.Perhaps a two bear limit in some areas?or a draw of some sorts for an extra tag?farmers?but id have to believe the spring hunt would leave a lot of orphaned cubs fending for themselves and most likely not make it.But i guess maybe thats the idea.Im certain with no guidence their death would likely not be a short one,but slow and painful.There are plenty of bears in this area...usually see them in the back yard in springtime/into summer or down by the river sometimes.I have no issues with them...nor do my neighbors.The amount of bears seems to be rising but the amount taken each year is also.Dont think we need to jump on the spring hunt just yet myself.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
free country and all...but I couldn't disagree more GI.

IF NWO's get them at will....its just another abuse of the intent . My opinion only of course. I'd be interested in hearing how you make out with your request.

A permit like that should be as rare as a 23 inche bear skull and B&C whitetail antlers!

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
BCL, with respect...if you applied the orphaned logic....you wouldnt have a fall bear hunt either imo.

Its illegal to take a sow with cubs as it is....

1 - 20 of 192 Posts