Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
181 - 192 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
I think a little incentive cash would go a long ways to collections made. Not every trapper and hunter has access to barb wire for example to make hair snag catchers. I don't ever recall this item being sold by the foot.
Perhaps a little more quires to those who might get the samples would mean a better and varied collection.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I think a little incentive cash would go a long ways to collections made. Not every trapper and hunter has access to barb wire for example to make hair snag catchers. I don't ever recall this item being sold by the foot.
Perhaps a little more quires to those who might get the samples would mean a better and varied collection.
The folks doing the study were awarded the funds from our Habitat funding. Perhaps they can provide some funds, to those that want to help, with some of our own funding, for items such as wire?

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
DNR is half hour away for me. If someone wanted to do a study, and DNR had reports indicating areas of complaints, I would have thought someone would contact someone, set up there tests in these areas, collect samples etc. To many around me have lost money with no response by DNR to expect those now to harvest the samples and bring them in. I get the feeling each day some small portion of what DNR used to do is being passed of to hunters. Lets discuss wages.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Says the study is for population, structure and distribution - sounds like it would be good to have hair samples from around the province.

I don't bait bears but thinking it shouldn't be too tough to get some hair samples if they're coming to your bait - maybe Im wrong. Couldn't you use a piece of hawthorne, blackberry, rose, etc, tin can lid, serrated edge off saran wrap/tin foil, old BBQ brush, old wire brush, etc ?

Sounds like a great way to be involved in a project mostly funded by our Habitat Stamp.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Says the study is for population, structure and distribution - sounds like it would be good to have hair samples from around the province.

I don't bait bears but thinking it shouldn't be too tough to get some hair samples if they're coming to your bait - maybe Im wrong. Couldn't you use a piece of hawthorne, blackberry, rose, etc, tin can lid, serrated edge off saran wrap/tin foil, old BBQ brush, old wire brush, etc ?

Sounds like a great way to be involved in a project mostly funded by our Habitat Stamp.
I know little about this study. Is it happening somewhere already this year? Are those doing the study setting up test areas, or are they waiting for hunters to do this and bring in samples? Is it about the growing bear population in some areas or other. I would be in up until the point of chucking gas money etc to accomplish the task for them. Someone from Acadia or DNR could easily come this way, set up on me, either or do the collection, could they not.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
They have their own sites. It's not like the fund is a bottomless $ resource. They're doing as much as they can and they are welcoming any additional samples they can get form volunteers that are interested in helping obtain them. Like Gary said, it's not tough to figure out a way to get them....especially if you have bears in your area.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
It might be well worth the while for the group @ Acadia to make known this study and provide a POC (point of contact) for those that might want to assist. The only place I was made aware of it was from the Habitat Fund distributions for the year. Whether providing that info (POC) here or on FB, which has a very active NS Hunting group, they could easily get samples from across the province, rather than a localized sampling. Wire, and fly paper which dollar store sells, could easily capture hair samples at Bear or Deer sites.

Reactions: alpo

·
Gone Fishing!
1,857 Posts
Here is most of the info needed to get involved.

Its taken from a topic started back in early July.
I am pretty sure its on the NSFAH Facebook page as well.

Attention Bear Hunters & Trappers!

Acadia University, Biology Dept is into its 2nd year of a Black Bear study.
Monies (yours) from the Habitat Conservation Fund have financially assisted the study:

Population structure and distribution of Black Bears in Nova Scotia
Governors of Acadia University

Requested: $12,000.00
Amount Awarded: $12000

Estimate black bear population size, structure and distribution for Nova Scotia based on application of molecular genetic techniques using microsatellite technique for identifying individuals and genetic relationships developed in 2014/15. Hair samples will be collected by DNR personnel from bears trapped and shot throughout Nova Scotia. The project is being lead / supervised by Soren Bondrup-Nielsen.

www.bondrup.com

Black Bear hair samples are required from around the province!
Collecting the samples are relatively easy - all you need is a length of barbed wire.

From Soren:

If bear hunters/trappers are interested in contributing to this study then they should do the following (if they have bait sites):
-string some barbed wire up around the bait site. The barbed wire should be at a height so when the bears walk under the barbed wire some hair is caught in the barbs (approx 2 feet).
- when they find hair on a barb the hair should be removed ( all of it with roots) and placed in an envelope and labeled with date and GPS location (if not precise location then to the nearest kilometre).
- hair from different barbs should NOT be placed in the same envelope IMPORTANT
- the enveloped should be stored in a freezer
- the envelopes can be mailed to Acadia University as soon as possible.

Send me a PM or an email with your contact information. I will send you the mailing address for the bear hair samples.

We will provide updates to you when available.
My email is: [email protected]
Currently, Acadia has access to approximately 40 sites, but many many more are required.
Please share with your hunting & trapping buddies - more sites = more data!
Based on the data so far, there is a rough estimate of 10,000+ black bears in NS!

·
Gone Fishing!
1,857 Posts
There was also an article in the Chronicle Herald about the black bear study on the go.

The story was also posted on this site, but in case you missed it, here it is again:

Banana and aniseed oil used to help track black bears

JESSICA FLOWER
Chronicle Herald
Published July 23, 2015 - 6:27pm

Banana and aniseed oil. It's a unique food pairing, but it works.
Soren Bondrup-Nielsen, a biology professor at Acadia University in Wolfville, is using the questionable olfactory combination this summer to track Nova Scotia's black bear population.

The exact Nova Scotia black bear population is fairly unknown, which can pose a problem for a species with a hunting season. Prompting from two concerned members of the Nova Scotia Federation of Anglers and Hunters pushed Bondrup-Nielsen to study the population and their movements in closer detail. Not that he needed much prompting - Bondrup-Nielsen is quite familiar with black bears, having held the position of black bear biologist in Ontario before coming to Acadia University 26 years ago.

So how does banana and fennel factor in?
"We have 40 bait sites set up, and essentially what they are is smeared banana and aniseed oil on a tree," said Bondrup-Nielsen, adding that the two smells are particularly good at attracting bears.
"We set up a barbed wire suspended two feet high around the tree. So when the bear comes up, they walk under the wire and it catches the hair."
The procedure, he assured, is non-invasive and safe because bears have thick fur.
"We've never seen any drop of blood around the sites."

The bait sites are in a 10 kilometre-by-10 kilometre radius in between Windsor and New Ross.
The gathered hair samples will then be analyzed using DNA technology developed last year by one of Bondrup-Nielsen's students specifically for black bears, "real CSI stuff" to draw data about the familial relationships between bears and their movement patterns. The methodology they're using is the widely practised capture-mark-recapture method. The team hope to have about 150 samples by the end of the summer.
Despite the anticipated haul of samples, Bondrup-Nielsen is doubtful of any bear encounters.
"We've had two site checks already and have gathered 29 samples so far, but we haven't seen a single bear yet. They're a very secretive species in Nova Scotia. I've warned my students that we probably won't get to see one."

The goal of the study shared by Bondrup-Nielsen and Peter MacDonald, a Natural Resources Department biologist specializing in large mammals, is to see whether the bear population is sustainable.
"In the past, we've been limited to harvest data," MacDonald said, referring to the data culled from hunters.
"We've not been able to do much work - it's pretty labour-intensive. We've had this on our list for a while."
Both men are confident that the bear population isn't in any immediate danger, but with increasing harvesting numbers over the past decade, more specific numbers are needed to ensure a stable population.

"Oh, yes, it's healthy," said MacDonald. "But it's especially important for a species like the black bear that has a fairly slow reproductive rate and one that is harvested to track population size. There is always a concern of overharvesting."

The study, which received $10,000 last year from the Habitat Conservation Fund, had their grant renewed this year for another $12,000. The fund draws its monetary contributions from the various hunting stamps used to validate hunting licences.

Actually, members of the Nova Scotia Association of Crossbow Hunters (and by extension, members of the Federation) initiated contact with Acadia Univ.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Thanks Ian, I will contribute....

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
I can't help read this stuff and think, from Berwick to Bridgetown, Nictau, through highway 10, Springfield both mountains the ridiculous amounts of bears, and the study is underway in Windsor, New Ross. All the instances and reports, homes, cottages, hiking, schools, I can think off in this area, and we have no sites set up. I don't know the logic or is it they only have so much gas money. I bet there are a few down this way that would have no trouble showing these folks bears, or running into them as you visit the test area, or is that maybe a deterent?. Does a hair sample go bad, why refrigerate it.

181 - 192 of 192 Posts