Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
So much anger towards everything... :-(
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I haven't been out in my hunting areas at all this spring (damm lockdown), has anyone been about to get into the woods at all? How is the bunny population looking if so?

The last couple of springs looked promising but then I didn't see the same population surge in the fall so I'm not sure that spring numbers translate well to the fall, but it's all we've got!

Rob

·
Super Moderator
9,772 Posts
YUP..spring has sprung...see a couple new ones plastered on the roads every day or two ! From Goodwood to the Bay !

·
Registered
13,353 Posts
Same here most I have seen in the yard and garden in the 26 years I have lived here

Some nights seeing as many as 8 together

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
9,772 Posts
Same thing every spring...rabbits everywhere. Come the fall....and winter...99% are gone...very few tracks in the new snow falls too (( and I purposely look)) around home here. They have to be predated on all the time I figure. Were on a peninsula here and I just don't see them swimming in the ocean to expand their turf as being the cause.

I've often wondered what mortality rate the ticks have on them ?? I see pics of the rabbits loaded up with them sometimes. Ticks can take down a moose..pretty sure they'll take out a rabbit !

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I see the odd spring bunny then they are gone, it's been a good 10 years or more since I have seen them in the fall. There might be some pockets here and there of bunnies but it's pretty sad that there really isn't any around to speak of.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Bh, join me for a day and watch the action as the hounds chase them bunnies.
Always good to hear the hounds sing and see the flash of the bunny as it streaks by

·
Super Moderator
9,772 Posts
Tim...the object of the hunt is to STOP them from streaking by...
happy.png
happy.png
happy.png
.bet your numbers go up and the dogs will stop cussing you guys out LMAO

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
I understand what is supposed to happen but new hunters usually just stand there looking as the bunny runs past with the hounds in hot pursuit.
I try to give the newbies the first shot, or at least the first attempt at it, just so they can look at me and shake their head because it happened so fast.
Im not as forgiving on the second go round

·
Super Moderator
9,772 Posts
or the third...or the fourth
tongue.png
tongue.png

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Thats probably why he got a pass last night. Click run bolt, click , run bolt, click. Run away

He got lucky, real lucky. Maybe i shouldve grabbed something besides the whiz bangs.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Bh, join me for a day and watch the action as the hounds chase them bunnies.
Always good to hear the hounds sing and see the flash of the bunny as it streaks by
I have hunted over a hound before, it's a time.

·
So much anger towards everything... :-(
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My beagle is a perfect pet which is great since 99% of the time that's what he is.

He's been disappointing on the bunnies so far though. I (or he) has to kick one up so he sees it before he's even interested. Just "out of a fun walk" until he sees one it seems.

I tried running him with good dogs a few times and it's been a mixed bag, sometimes good as in he stays with the other dog(s), other times he's just screwing things up as he's trying to play and then wanders off and lets out random barks which distracts the good dogs...

Having said that, last year he finally seemed to start to come around (after a LOT of hours in the woods!) He was actually searching like beagles should. Then the season ended. I am looking forward to getting him some time out soon between house projects.

His nose seems excellent, he is just missing that "drive" if you know what I mean. Funny as his parents and the siblings I know of are all good bunny dogs.

it's really a shame as he is really lean, muscular and fast, if I could get him into it he would be amazing I think. I've worn out bunny paws dragging them around and hiding them. He has no problem with the scent following, just the interest level.

He turns 5 this fall so he better improve soon! ha ha

Rob

·
Super Moderator
9,772 Posts
Therein lies your problem...he's now a millennial teenager
rolleyes.gif
no interest or wasted energy...no sirreee
wink.png
wink.png

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Seen no more than 3 Bunnies this spring , seeing lots of heavy bodied does , but hardly any Rabbits , Ive been up country once a week most times gone by daylight so nice and cool for them come out to the greener grasses to feed , Predation is yr round with lots of
Bob Cat ( numbers are way up ) sightings plus the yote situation we have in the province .

It was lean yr last yr for snares on them plus i rotate my spots and keep track as not deplete an area , last yr I never set more than 60 snares with success rate of 4 Rabbits , one rabbit can make a ton of tracks so what might look like good place quickly turns to a dud .

With what i see as low #s this spring in my travels , might be a no go for any during hunting season , when take a 200 plus km round trip thru back country roads and see none , makes you think on what the staus is form this cycle yr .

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Theyre there in pockets
We hunt 3 pockets and manage to find 8 to 15+ in a day
Weve been hitting the same spots for years. We take the bunnies, the trapper takes yotes and cats with the coordinates i provide. He pulls his gear when he knows the hounds will be running.

Its a win win for both

1 - 20 of 21 Posts