Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many years ago I got caught in real bad squall while Hunting and got turned around and ended up on a different road than what I thought I was on and I was dumb enough to not trust my compass.

Snow squall watches, warnings issued for some N.S. counties

Environment Canada has issued snow squall warnings for Victoria County and north of Mabou in Inverness County, which could see as much as 25 centimetres of snow Saturday and winds of 60 to 70 km/h.
The weather forecaster also issued snow squall watches for Pictou and Antigonish counties, and south of Mabou in Inverness County. It predicts 10-15 centimetres of snow to fall, along with winds of between 40 and 60 km/h.
Environment Canada issues snow squall watches and warnings when bands of snow can "produce intense accumulating snow" and visibility near zero.
It warns that travel may be hazardous due to sudden changes in the weather.
The snow is projected to end this afternoon in Pictou and Antigonish counties, and south of Mabou in Inverness County, and is expected to stop this evening in Victoria County and north of Mabou in Inverness County.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
good advice - same thing here - in my late teens, in squalls, checking my trapline - got sidetracked on some moose tracks and went off course. Came across some barely distinguishable boot tracks and thought, fk, those are my tracks. Out with the compass to get re-organized.

·
Administrator
10,319 Posts
I've never been lost in the woods. But once... I was with a guy who was !

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I have never been “lost” in the woods. There have been times that i had no clue where I was, but had a general idea. I bought a hand held GPS and it’s wonderful. No more guessing or bringing out the compass. In the latter years … I used Google Maps on my phone. I’m surprised when you have zero reception, Google Maps still work.

·
GREYBEARD
2,966 Posts
I have found my own tracks more than once, while walking out of a hunting area in my early days of hunting.

·
Registered
14,910 Posts
What is lost. Not knowing where in the hell you are after chasing deer but know if I walk long enough I will hit the highway somewhere if I go north
I think I was lost IMO twice
Yes once I walked for 10 hours and made the high way to get picked up by a guy with my thumb out. Cannot imagine that happening today anyone picking up a guy in orange with a rifle over his shoulder
Any way he asked where my truck was and I told him and he says man that must be 10 miles down the road. he checked and when we got there is was pretty much nine
That was lost to me. Scared NO but lost since unlike Thunderstick coyotes don't scare me :p
Cheers
Just to add I could have taken three deer in that walk but would not shoot since I had no clue where in the hell I was

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
Never been lost, turned around many times. Always found my way sometimes by compass sometimes just by being aware of the position of the sun and wind direction etc and a little luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts