Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
21 - 40 of 72 Posts

· Registered
18,483 Posts
I am not 100% sure of this.... but I have a couple very reliable resources.... the guns that get turned in by the general public who no longer wants them.... some of those guns are kept by members of the police force. I always thought that surplus service guns were sold and monies raised went to the annual policeman's ball ??? .... but I can see Joyrider's point.
Many a time I was taken to a room and seen some of the firearms people would hand in especially in the first years of the LGR. Why because a couple of my police friends were also gun collectors and wanted something looked at

Years ago most were sold at an auction In Truro if I recall correctly but that stopped

99 % were junk but the odd time and I remember one time where two special fully engraved colt revolvers in a oak box was on the table. In those days they would be worth about $25000 and if anyone thinks they were turned into rebar YOU have rocks in your head and they never made an auction

Yes today I would say 98% go the way of rebar but still not the odd very rare valuable ones. In fact I even tried to get a barrel swapped on a 870 one time for the one turned in had choke tubes and NO way could they do it

I don't remember any service revolvers being sold off however. WHO would want those pieces of crap LOL

Cheers

· Registered
3,677 Posts
Joyrider... i have 2 cousins in the police force. Just going by what I was told a number of years ago. You seem to have the facts, so I will just go with you on this one. Apparently my relatives were feeding me a crock of wahooie.

· Registered
7,795 Posts
When you really stop and think about these types of urban myths it doesn't take long to realize they can't be true. I spend time on FB debunking things that are just totally made up. It's usually political. I don't care what people believe or if they agree with me, but it should be based on facts. :) I'll stand up for facts every time! :)
Rob
Sorry to disappoint you bud but it ain't a myth. Halifax police sold off as many of their old 38 revolvers as they could when they went to 9mm. Talk to someone who was a city cop at the time. Not sure if it was mid - late 80's or maybe even early 90's but it was before the prohib classification came in to being. Use to be lots for sale at the shows after that.

· Registered
7,795 Posts
[quote name="3macs1" post="883936" timestamp="1552916023"]
Many a time I was taken to a room and seen some of the firearms people would hand in especially in the first years of the LGR. Why because a couple of my police friends were also gun collectors and wanted something looked at
Years ago most were sold at an auction In Truro if I recall correctly but that stopped
99 % were junk but the odd time and I remember one time where two special fully engraved colt revolvers in a oak box was on the table. In those days they would be worth about $25000 and if anyone thinks they were turned into rebar YOU have rocks in your head and they never made an auction

Yes today I would say 98% go the way of rebar but still not the odd very rare valuable ones. In fact I even tried to get a barrel swapped on a 870 one time for the one turned in had choke tubes and NO way could they do it

I don't remember any service revolvers being sold off however. WHO would want those pieces of crap LOL
Cheers
[/quote

]
Lots of ex cops with awesome collections. I've been to the confiscated room in Halifax. Also used their range a few times years ago.

· Registered
7,795 Posts
Joyrider... i have 2 cousins in the police force. Just going by what I was told a number of years ago. You seem to have the facts, so I will just go with you on this one. Apparently my relatives were feeding me a crock of wahooie.
LOL - what would a cop/ ex cop know ?
Just trying to count them up. 8 guys I went to school with became city cops and three others joined rcmp. All retired now but I do know a couple of " newer cops " still working, one is my neighbor.

· So much anger towards everything... :-(
1,464 Posts
Sorry to disappoint you bud but it ain't a myth. Halifax police sold off as many of their old 38 revolvers as they could when they went to 9mm. Talk to someone who was a city cop at the time. Not sure if it was mid - late 80's or maybe even early 90's but it was before the prohib classification came in to being. Use to be lots for sale at the shows after that.
So who has them? Currently Halifax Police has just over 500 members according to their website. If we assume back in the day the 3 police forces (Halifax, Bedford and Dartmouth) all sold their guns and had roughly 500 members (with a few spare guns I assume) - where are they all? I haven't seen a member on this site say they have one or have seen one. Just "I know a guy..." type of stories.

There are over 15,000 RCMP members, ever more Toronto police, then you have the OPP and a ton of other cities across the country have probably another 25,000+ members. So lets say 50,000 police across Canada (just to pick a number). Where are all of the guns that were sold off?

This isn't a case of you and I having different opinions - this is simply a case of something that isn't possible.

To be clear - I am saying that it is not possible for that many revolvers to be out there and none of these things have happened:

1) no one on this site has one

2) If you search on CGN you will not find a case of there ever having been a ex-police pistol for sale
3) one was never used in a crime - if it was I am totally confident the news (who I think we all agree are anti handgun) would be all over that!

When you break it down you realize that there is no way it can have happened.

It's usually difficult to prove something didn't happen (or doesn't exist - cougars), but in this case it's easy. It's impossible for that many guns to be out there and no one reading this has ever personally seen one.

You are free to keep believing if you want - people believe all kinds of things that are impossible (the earth is flat, vaccines cause autism, big pharma is hiding a cure to cancer, big oil is hiding a car the runs on water, etc etc etc) - but that doesn't change things other than you'll think I'm an A-hole. :)

Rob

· Registered
4,040 Posts
I know for a fact all Police Issued Revolvers at the time of change over were taken , turned in and Destroyed , when higher ranking officers I know all! Say same thing , I very highly doubt ANYONE is in POSSESION of any SERVICE REVOLVERS FROM ACROSS THE COUNTRY ! I've never seen one come up for sale thats for Damm sure .

· Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
You are free to keep believing if you want - people believe all kinds of things that are impossible (the earth is flat, vaccines cause autism, big pharma is hiding a cure to cancer, big oil is hiding a car the runs on water, etc etc etc) - but that doesn't change things other than you'll think I'm an A-hole. :)

Rob
..... " a car that runs on water" - doubt that very much, have you seen the price of water lately?
unsure.png
laugh.png

· Registered
18,483 Posts
I know for a fact all Police Issued Revolvers at the time of change over were taken , turned in and Destroyed , when higher ranking officers I know all! Say same thing , I very highly doubt ANYONE is in POSSESION of any SERVICE REVOLVERS FROM ACROSS THE COUNTRY ! I've never seen one come up for sale thats for Damm sure .
I have no clue what they did up the line but know 100% here the old police guns never got sold or auctioned off

I remember trying for over a year to get them to sell me an old shotgun that was taken out of service and no way could I get it

It was an old "roadblocker" and would have been so nice to have with my others

Cheers

· Registered
7,795 Posts
So who has them? Currently Halifax Police has just over 500 members according to their website. If we assume back in the day the 3 police forces (Halifax, Bedford and Dartmouth) all sold their guns and had roughly 500 members (with a few spare guns I assume) - where are they all? I haven't seen a member on this site say they have one or have seen one. Just "I know a guy..." type of stories.
There are over 15,000 RCMP members, ever more Toronto police, then you have the OPP and a ton of other cities across the country have probably another 25,000+ members. So lets say 50,000 police across Canada (just to pick a number). Where are all of the guns that were sold off?
This isn't a case of you and I having different opinions - this is simply a case of something that isn't possible.
To be clear - I am saying that it is not possible for that many revolvers to be out there and none of these things have happened:
1) no one on this site has one
2) If you search on CGN you will not find a case of there ever having been a ex-police pistol for sale
3) one was never used in a crime - if it was I am totally confident the news (who I think we all agree are anti handgun) would be all over that!
When you break it down you realize that there is no way it can have happened.
It's usually difficult to prove something didn't happen (or doesn't exist - cougars), but in this case it's easy. It's impossible for that many guns to be out there and no one reading this has ever personally seen one.
Rob
Mayhaps your too young to realize that before HRP was formed ( 1996 ) HPD was just the Halifax police and did not include bedford or Dartmouth.And Especially not Toronto. I may have been wrong about the rcmp but am correct on the disposal of HPDs old 38s. How could one prove it was an ex cop gun? You must have assumed that these had all been stamped Halifax Police but guess what- they weren't. Some were ( very few)some werent. Hfx has always been cheap and many were surplus. Some were 4" some were 6" and of course some ( dectives and higher brass) carried snubies. A few special issues actually carried S&W model 27 (357).
Now if you wish to call yourself names that's your buisness.

· Registered
7,795 Posts
Sorry ty but HPD did, do we really have to play who do you know? My best friends father was deputy chief in Hfx.
My father was best friends with the chief Glenn Foxx ( way back! )..... I've am/ was ( some have passed from old age)friends with quite a few HPD personal, from first class constable up to top brass.

· Registered
3,677 Posts
I was just going by what my cousins and myself talked about years ago. No actual facts to back that up. I could see them just pulling my leg... but they were talking with each other about it. Both just recently retired. One from RCMP and one from HRM. I guess the next thing your gonna tell me is that the illegal alcohol seized from minors was just opened up and poured out ???? LOL....

.... on another note... a shotgun and handgun was recently stolen from a cop car here in Florida. $5,000 reward for information. His car was locked at the time. I wonder how often this happens and if we hear about ALL the thefts ??? Pretty ballsey to steal from a police car.

· So much anger towards everything... :-(
1,464 Posts
Mayhaps your too young to realize that before HRP was formed ( 1996 ) HPD was just the Halifax police and did not include bedford or Dartmouth.And Especially not Toronto. I may have been wrong about the rcmp but am correct on the disposal of HPDs old 38s. How could one prove it was an ex cop gun? You must have assumed that these had all been stamped Halifax Police but guess what- they weren't. Some were ( very few)some werent. Hfx has always been cheap and many were surplus. Some were 4" some were 6" and of course some ( dectives and higher brass) carried snubies. A few special issues actually carried S&W model 27 (357).
Now if you wish to call yourself names that's your buisness.
Sadly I am not too young - in fact I specifically mentioned the 2 departments in my last message. I mentioned the others because people mentioned RCMP earlier on and really - why would only one dept do it? If it was going to be one of the 3 old halifax area departments I would say the Dart crew would be a more likely source! Remember when the dart officer got caught shooting deer in Burnside? ;-) That was huge news at the time - sadly well before the internet - I just took a quick look and couldn't find a link.

Anyway, clearly we are at an impasse and are not going to convince each other. Have a good day!

Rob

Like I said, I can't prove something didn't happen so if my points didn't make you stop and reconsider

· Registered
379 Posts
I hate to dissapoint the naysayers but I am one of the people that bought one of the Halifax police .38 special revolvers! It was stolen from me (house) in 1995 and still on the cpic list.

If anyone o would like to visit I still have the original transfer papers with the officers name on them.

Just saying, yes they did sell them but it wasn't $100

Wayne

· Registered
18,483 Posts
I'm sorry. To answer the pm a road blocker was a special 10ga Ithaca semi auto shotgun made special for just police departments. Worth some bucks to collectors today

Not something you wanted to take a load of buckshot from for sure

Cheers

cHOEQ6r.jpg

· Registered
4,040 Posts
Sorry ty but HPD did, do we really have to play who do you know? My best friends father was deputy chief in Hfx.
My father was best friends with the chief Glenn Foxx ( way back! )..... I've am/ was ( some have passed from old age)friends with quite a few HPD personal, from first class constable up to top brass.
Who I know are several Staff Seargents and also a Commissioner of the RCMP , WHO FAITHFULLY , till this day all say ALL RCMP as well as Most that they knew of municipal and City Police Agencies were ALL required to turn in ALL SERVICE REVOLVERS FOR DESTRUCTION AND DISPOSAL , My Uncle showed me a Video that had to do to show the destruction of such pistols at the time , they had several Thousand from around the country and taken for Meltdown at secure facility .

· Registered
1,663 Posts
Might be different depending on each province, but I own a Colt officer match model 38 that’s stamped O.P.P right on it. So I guess they must have been selling theirs off at some point! I wasn’t the original purchaser though, not sure even if the guy I got it from was either.

· Registered
18,483 Posts
Might be different depending on each province, but I own a Colt officer match model 38 that's stamped O.P.P right on it. So I guess they must have been selling theirs off at some point! I wasn't the original purchaser though, not sure even if the guy I got it from was either.
I would add if we take the RCMP out it was different pending the town in Nova Scotia going back to the days of town police that drove the snowplow here when not working :) in uniform

Cheers

21 - 40 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.