Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
41 - 60 of 72 Posts

· Registered
7,795 Posts
I hate to dissapoint the naysayers but I am one of the people that bought one of the Halifax police .38 special revolvers! It was stolen from me (house) in 1995 and still on the cpic list.

If anyone o would like to visit I still have the original transfer papers with the officers name on them.

Just saying, yes they did sell them but it wasn't $100

Wayne
Thanks for chiming in Wayne! Starting to wonder if I was delusional myself lol. Had to go check! Can't find the paper work tho.
I paid $100 each - did I get suckered?
Do you remember the year these were sold? Time is something I have trouble following or remembering. You know - like sometimes I think my 21 birthday was only a few years ago!

· Registered
7,795 Posts
So who has them? Currently Halifax Police has just over 500 members according to their website. If we assume back in the day the 3 police forces (Halifax, Bedford and Dartmouth) all sold their guns and had roughly 500 members (with a few spare guns I assume) - where are they all? I haven't seen a member on this site say they have one or have seen one. Just "I know a guy..." type of stories.
There are over 15,000 RCMP members, ever more Toronto police, then you have the OPP and a ton of other cities across the country have probably another 25,000+ members. So lets say 50,000 police across Canada (just to pick a number). Where are all of the guns that were sold off?
This isn't a case of you and I having different opinions - this is simply a case of something that isn't possible.
To be clear - I am saying that it is not possible for that many revolvers to be out there and none of these things have happened:
1) no one on this site has one
2) If you search on CGN you will not find a case of there ever having been a ex-police pistol for sale
3) one was never used in a crime - if it was I am totally confident the news (who I think we all agree are anti handgun) would be all over that!
When you break it down you realize that there is no way it can have happened.
It's usually difficult to prove something didn't happen (or doesn't exist - cougars), but in this case it's easy. It's impossible for that many guns to be out there and no one reading this has ever personally seen one.
You are free to keep believing if you want - people believe all kinds of things that are impossible (the earth is flat, vaccines cause autism, big pharma is hiding a cure to cancer, big oil is hiding a car the runs on water, etc etc etc) - but that doesn't change things other than you'll think I'm an A-hole. :)
Rob
Did you read Wayne's post?

I hate to dissapoint the naysayers but I am one of the people that bought one of the Halifax police .38 special revolvers! It was stolen from me (house) in 1995 and still on the cpic list.

If anyone o would like to visit I still have the original transfer papers with the officers name on them.

Just saying, yes they did sell them but it wasn't $100

Wayne
So out of the 20 site members that post regularly and the 20 or so that post once and awhile you now know of two who purchased surplus handguns from HPD. Perhaps the myth is not such a myth after all.
Maybe Wayne and Trip d are myths or maybe MYTHICAL GODS!! LOL.

· Registered
7,795 Posts
Sadly I am not too young - in fact I specifically mentioned the 2 departments in my last message. I mentioned the others because people mentioned RCMP earlier on and really - why would only one dept do it? If it was going to be one of the 3 old halifax area departments I would say the Dart crew would be a more likely source! Remember when the dart officer got caught shooting deer in Burnside? ;-) That was huge news at the time - sadly well before the internet - I just took a quick look and couldn't find a link.
Anyway, clearly we are at an impasse and are not going to convince each other. Have a good day!
Rob
Like I said, I can't prove something didn't happen so if my points didn't make you stop and reconsider
I remember an incident where a deer was ALLEGEDLY shot by a police officer over in burnside by the Amanda inn. Likely some cop hater made a false report hoping to get an officer in trouble.
NO dead animal was found, NO proof service weapon was fired and NO deer hair/blood etc in the trunk of his cruiser or on him or his uniform.BUT that doesn't mean it never happened. Do you remember the year? Was it before amalgamation?
Thanks for the discussion and have yourself A SUPER DUPER DAY !

· Registered
7,795 Posts
Who I know are several Staff Seargents and also a Commissioner of the RCMP , WHO FAITHFULLY , till this day all say ALL RCMP as well as Most that they knew of municipal and City Police Agencies were ALL required to turn in ALL SERVICE REVOLVERS FOR DESTRUCTION AND DISPOSAL , My Uncle showed me a Video that had to do to show the destruction of such pistols at the time , they had several Thousand from around the country and taken for Meltdown at secure facility .
I'm sure you saw the post by Wayne.
If you know someone in rcmp who is active they most likely weren't working as rcmp back in the 70's. Not 100% sure but I think police and Canadian Arm Forces as well as firefighters still have a mandatory retirement at age 60.
Surely you don't think the rcmp know what other police forces do or don't do.Most rcmp don't even know what goes on within its own organization. Nor can the rcmp dictate to other police forces what to do with surplus equiptment.
Perhaps they told you this simply because they think it was ALWAYS that way, not realizing it WASNT that way at one time.

· Registered
7,795 Posts
Might be different depending on each province, but I own a Colt officer match model 38 that's stamped O.P.P right on it. So I guess they must have been selling theirs off at some point! I wasn't the original purchaser though, not sure even if the guy I got it from was either.
WHAT another firearm that WAS issued to a police officer! Now owned LEGALLY by someone who ain't/ wasn't a cop!!!!
What's the world coming to?

Thanks for sharing Dave. Don't think it's by province more like at each departments discretion regardless of province or territory.

· Registered
7,795 Posts
So guys that's 3 out of the 40 or so members that actually post.
I wonder how many of you members ever bought a surplus police firearm or knew they existed but just left me out there dangling!

· Registered
211 Posts
The comment made about CGN never selling old police revolvers is inaccurate. I have often seen police marked revolvers for sale there. Seems to me that they were mostly snub nosed revolvers from city police departments. I don't recall any rcmp guns though.

And these guns were from awhile back too, nothing recent.

· Registered
7,795 Posts
So because there's nothing on tv, afternoon delight ( evening actually ) is done and I can't play my guitar because my wife just went to bed so I'm bored!

When HPD ( and most police forces everywhere) first came to be; officers had to supply their OWN firearm, they weren't issued! Then the department purchased side arms for their office but each officer had to PAY for it. Do you really think they had to turn these firearms in to be destroyed when they left the force? Unions changed chit like that. Then police forces started providing service firearms to their officers.Each department was free to choose manufacture,model and caliber. For the most part these were 32 or 38 caliber revolvers.Some even had them stamped-ie rcmp, most didn't due to extra cost. Many officers carried a back up gun (even HPD ) usually something with a little more pop (357& 45 being the most popular). Then over time guns became bad then badder until they became the absolutely most evil tool in the civilized world.Thing started to change FAC Then PAL and prohibs ( tv and Saturday night specials!). Now times are different.

Most of the people here must remember a time when guns weren't BAD. In the seventies anyone could buy a handgun and at almost any sporting goods store. No bull just go to rcmp, get a permit and register the gun! He** I bought one at a little hole in the wall store on the bedford Hwy, Birch Cove Sporting goods. EVEN Cleve's sold them! Everybody had a handgun. I worked at a small general store where the owner kept a loaded 38 under both the front counter and the back counter as well as one on his person, all perfectly legal at the time! Some employees were shown where they were and told if anyone try's to rod the store you shoot them! True story folks!

We evolve as time passes our way of thinking changes with the passing of time and many start to believe that today's ways, attitudes and rules were always as they are now. But it ain't so! Do you actually think an active police officer ;EVEN RCMP TOP BRASS ; knows
what happened before they joined the force? Do you really think they destroyed firearms in the 60's and 70's ?
MOST DEFINITELY there are numerous legally owned handguns in Canada that were RCMP issue at one point in time. Today's rules (gun laws )DID NOT EXIST prior to 1997.
Now our cops use semi pistols ( high capacity mags) and C8 carbines. Firearms we can't own!

· Registered
211 Posts
Annapolis Royal had one cop in the 1950's, when the population was double what it is now, and he didn't even own a gun. If and when he did need one, he borrowed it from a gun collector there at the time, an old WWI veteran that had a bunch. True story.

· Registered
379 Posts
DDD

Just dug out the papers and the date on the transfer is June 9,1986

It was a Smith and Wesson .38spl Special with a 101 barrel

Wayne

· Registered
2,365 Posts
I remember an incident where a deer was ALLEGEDLY shot by a police officer over in burnside by the Amanda inn. Likely some cop hater made a false report hoping to get an officer in trouble.
NO dead animal was found, NO proof service weapon was fired and NO deer hair/blood etc in the trunk of his cruiser or on him or his uniform.BUT that doesn't mean it never happened. Do you remember the year? Was it before amalgamation?
Thanks for the discussion and have yourself A SUPER DUPER DAY !
No...It was actually shot. Just outside of 10 Morris Drive...where my office was. (the roadway you can see to the right going up the Magazine, just after you pass Burnside comes out on Morris)

When I saw the crime scene tape I thought it was probably a murder until I heard the reports of what went on.

Went over and looked around...it was pretty apparent to me what had happened.

He didn't use his service sidearm...it was the .357 he kept under the seat.

The deer was found in his freezer by DNR and other police officers...but OOPS
rolleyes.gif
...illegal search...they forgot to get a warrant...and the deer was inadmissable as evidence so the charges he should have faced were dropped.

He did have to have a disciplinary hearing, though...that secondary gun was against policy.

Year?...'95 I think...or thereabouts.

· Registered
3,677 Posts
Hearing these stories of people actually buying police issued service revolvers.... maybe my cousins weren’t “chitting” me after all. I recall very vividly, the conversations about it, and also, conversations about guns being turned in for various reasons. If one got turned in... and one of the police officers wanted it ... they took it. Just because it’s not plastered all over social media and your police friends says it can’t happen.... doesn’t mean it never happens.

· Registered
7,795 Posts
No...It was actually shot. Just outside of 10 Morris Drive...where my office was. (the roadway you can see to the right going up the Magazine, just after you pass Burnside comes out on Morris)
When I saw the crime scene tape I thought it was probably a murder until I heard the reports of what went on.
Went over and looked around...it was pretty apparent to me what had happened.
He didn't use his service sidearm...it was the .357 he kept under the seat.
The deer was found in his freezer by DNR and other police officers...but OOPS:rolleyes: ...illegal search...they forgot to get a warrant...and the deer was inadmissable as evidence so the charges he should have faced were dropped.
He did have to have a disciplinary hearing, though...that secondary gun was against policy.

Year?...'95 I think...or thereabouts.
Thanks for the details bob. Appreciate it.

· Registered
7,795 Posts
how and why do you keep going in face of such stupidity?
Try to not be so hard on people.
Besides I rubbed it in enough as it is.
Joyriders way of thinking actually makes sense in today's world where firearms are so evil in the minds of so many people.

· So much anger towards everything... :-(
1,464 Posts
Try to not be so hard on people.
Besides I rubbed it in enough as it is.
Joyriders way of thinking actually makes sense in today's world where firearms are so evil in the minds of so many people.
Unless he made a wording error in his response, I think he was calling you stupid actually. :)

You didn't rub in anything - you just gloated which is why people are scared to be wrong and learn anything on here. :) I'm OK with that - I like learning new things.

My experience is with the RCMP and I seem to have wrongly assumed other police forces worked in a similar way.

Rob

41 - 60 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.